Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited December 2020
    It's quite small (420 ish sqft) so no room to grow and out of first time buyer territory at over £1k/sqft (although we paid more than than and would happily take less just to get it gone)

I'd say the trains are more of an issue to prospective buyers - although right by a station so 25 mins to waterloo.

The fact it has a garden I thought would be amazing but alas no.

It's all just a bit worn too but I don't think I'll get back what I put in to sell it, unfortunately.

Right now id take 400 but I paid a lot more than that.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    pblakeney said:

People on LinkedIn saying that they have decided that it is time to seek new challenges. Just admit it. You’ve been paid off.

Ooof you’re brutal.

They’ve already been tinned!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    The MF’s reappear and suddenly so does Bungle. :o
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,830

pblakeney said:

People on LinkedIn saying that they have decided that it is time to seek new challenges. Just admit it. You’ve been paid off.

Ooof you’re brutal.

They’ve already been tinned!
    I don't mind being brutal to fake people.
    I have a lot of time for honesty.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited December 2020
    That happened to me but I was lucky to get a new job before my gardening leave ran out...

@pblakeney you can help me write my comeback post?

"Like a phoenix rising from the ashes of the year that was 2020 I am delighted to be joining XXX on 7 Jan 2021 - just keeping this job for the next 12 months will be a marked improvement on last year"
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,396
    webboo said:

Bungle?! Where?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • webboo
    MTB general about flat pedals.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    webboo said:

MTB general about flat pedals.

Classic
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899

It's quite small (420 ish sqft) so no room to grow and out of first time buyer territory at over £1k/sqft (although we paid more than than and would happily take less just to get it gone)

I'd say the trains are more of an issue to prospective buyers - although right by a station so 25 mins to waterloo.

The fact it has a garden I thought would be amazing but alas no.

It's all just a bit worn too but I don't think I'll get back what I put in to sell it, unfortunately.

Right now id take 400 but I paid a lot more than that.

Hard to read all this. I would've thought thr garden would be a winner nowadays!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,655

This caving sounds great fun.

I don't see the appeal. There's no wildlife, and the views are a bit restricted.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,346
    webboo said:

Bungle popped up a couple of weeks ago asking advice before his MTB outing. He seemed more reasonable so I even wondered if it was the same bungle.
  • webboo

webboo said:

Bungle popped up a couple of weeks ago asking advice before his MTB outing. He seemed more reasonable so I even wondered if it was the same bungle.
    Ask him about Merlin and see what the reaction is.
  • pblakeney

See if you have any joy with this nugget.

“After just over 2 years, it's time to say goodbye to ********* as I have decided to get out there and explore something new. I have met some great people through my time here, but ultimately decided that now was the right time for me to move on.”
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,633
    elbowloh said:

Yeah we saved about £15k with the stamp duty holiday. Bought at asking price, which was quite a bit higher than an almost identical house went for in November 2019. It is crazy out there, there was a long backlog to get searches and surveys done.

Yeah, my daughter's have inherited a share of a house and the searches are holding up completion. They've been a few months. The eldest is also buying her first place and the survey was quite quick. The search delays there will hopefully benefit her as she's waiting for her mortgage approval, she had one approved in principle but then it was withdrawn after a couple of months of the process as they decided the gap caused while she waited for her new job to start was a gap in her employment even though she'd had the job offer before lockdown.

• pblakeney said:

See if you have any joy with this nugget.

“After just over 2 years, it's time to say goodbye to ********* as I have decided to get out there and explore something new. I have met some great people through my time here, but ultimately decided that now was the right time for me to move on.”
    Bit bland. Bring the BR cake stop flair.

I am broadly staying in the same industry so i'll stay in touch with many of the same people / companies.
  • pblakeney
    I wasn't being entirely serious, and the original author needed to give it some flair as you say. Can't see that anyone was convinced by the "choice".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    How many different BB standards are there these days? But most of all why?
  • pblakeney said:

I wasn't being entirely serious, and the original author needed to give it some flair as you say. Can't see that anyone was convinced by the "choice".

It will just show me moving jobs - which in my (and many people's view) will be an upgrade
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Yeah we saved about £15k with the stamp duty holiday. Bought at asking price, which was quite a bit higher than an almost identical house went for in November 2019. It is crazy out there, there was a long backlog to get searches and surveys done.

Yeah, my daughter's have inherited a share of a house and the searches are holding up completion. They've been a few months. The eldest is also buying her first place and the survey was quite quick. The search delays there will hopefully benefit her as she's waiting for her mortgage approval, she had one approved in principle but then it was withdrawn after a couple of months of the process as they decided the gap caused while she waited for her new job to start was a gap in her employment even though she'd had the job offer before lockdown.

I actually go made redundant just as we were starting to look at getting the mortgage. I was really lucky in that i got a job offer (albeit just a 6 month contract) that started 2 weeks after i left the old place. I could show i was continually employed for the 16 years or so before that. I was then more than 3 months through that contract before we actually exchanged and was a bit worried the offer would be withdrawn at the death.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    Well blow me down.

As house on our road has gone on sale this morning for £90k more than we paid for ours (we made the offer in July, but we only moved in 2 and a bit weeks ago). All the houses on the cul-de-sac are pretty much identical on the outside. They have extended on the ground floor, where we have a conservatory and that's about the only difference. We have a big man-cave in the garden (which was the icing on the cake for me and would have paid a bit more for) whereas they have a standard shed.

We paid asking price and my wife was worried that maybe we paid too much, but now it looks like we may have done pretty well.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Ben6899
    elbowloh said:

Well blow me down.

As house on our road has gone on sale this morning for £90k more than we paid for ours (we made the offer in July, but we only moved in 2 and a bit weeks ago). All the houses on the cul-de-sac are pretty much identical on the outside. They have extended on the ground floor, where we have a conservatory and that's about the only difference. We have a big man-cave in the garden (which was the icing on the cake for me and would have paid a bit more for) whereas they have a standard shed.

We paid asking price and my wife was worried that maybe we paid too much, but now it looks like we may have done pretty well.

That's a bit of good news! The extension will be making a huge contribution to that additional £90k.
    Ben

• elbowloh
    Ben6899 said:

elbowloh said:

Well blow me down.

That's a bit of good news! The extension will be making a huge contribution to that additional £90k.
    Indeed, but nowhere near £90k. In terms of usable space it's the same footprint really.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,765
    edited December 2020
    elbowloh said:

Ben6899 said:

elbowloh said:

Well blow me down.

Indeed, but nowhere near £90k. In terms of usable space it's the same footprint really.
    I would say a lot of people would pay £20k to have the extension without any disruption.

Maybe people are built differently but when my parents had it done it was bloody awful.
  • Ben6899
    No, building work is dusty and intrusive. A property you can afford, and with all the work done that you would eventually do, is the holy grail.
    Ben

• elbowloh
    Ben6899 said:

No, building work is dusty and intrusive. A property you can afford, and with all the work done that you would eventually do, is the holy grail.

Not for a lot of people. A lot of people want somewhere that needs some work so they can add value (my wife). Others can't be arsed (me).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Pross
    elbowloh said:

Ben6899 said:

Not for a lot of people. A lot of people want somewhere that needs some work so they can add value (my wife). Others can't be arsed (me).
    Yeah, in keeping with this thread people who want a "project" when buying a house intrigue me. I'd love to be good at DIY skills and to enjoy doing it but major work in a house you are living in is no fun. If you have that much spare time just find a hobby. It may add value to the property but it is hard won additional value.

My Holy Grail would be finding a patch of land with spectacular views in an ideal location and having a new house built to my exact specification while I live in a perfectly suitable house somewhere else but unless I win the Euro Millions (unlikely as I don't play) it will always be a pipe dream.
  • Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Ben6899 said:

Yeah, in keeping with this thread people who want a "project" when buying a house intrigue me. I'd love to be good at DIY skills and to enjoy doing it but major work in a house you are living in is no fun. If you have that much spare time just find a hobby. It may add value to the property but it is hard won additional value.

My Holy Grail would be finding a patch of land with spectacular views in an ideal location and having a new house built to my exact specification while I live in a perfectly suitable house somewhere else but unless I win the Euro Millions (unlikely as I don't play) it will always be a pipe dream.
    Yeah done the full rebuild while still living in it thing and it's not something I'm in a hurry to re-live.

We bought a house that ticked *almost* all the boxes. Location, views, space, quiet, virtually no neighbours, no chance of ever being built out, and affordable... just the house (and garden) need some love. No big deal, not in a hurry and we're not worried about over-capitalising any more.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Ben6899
    edited December 2020
    The place we're trying to buy is a bit of a project. It's liveable at the moment, but we'd move the stud walls around and change how the space is used.

On the face of it, at the moment, it's an opportunity too good to be missed. We're not investors, but it could be made to be worth a small fortune.

No intention of living there for the few weeks when the big stuff is carried out (need wifi to WFH, for starters) - will pop back up north for a month or so.
    Ben

• Pross
    We just had the kitchen replaced and our previously converted garage remodelled slightly. The roof had leaked so we needed the ceiling and some wall boards replaced and took the opportunity to add a stud wall and create an office space for me as I had been using the conservatory for my office before. That took just under two weeks and was just about the maximum I could cope with while still living in the house. We managed to set up a temporary kitchen area in the conservatory and if we hadn't had that space it would have been quite uncomfortable.

My colleague is currently moving house. When I spoke to her the other day she was saying she loves her old house and they had just got it exactly as they wanted it but her husband likes a project so they were moving so he could start all over again. That just seems ludicrous to me.
  • Ben6899
    Pross said:

We just had the kitchen replaced and our previously converted garage remodelled slightly. The roof had leaked so we needed the ceiling and some wall boards replaced and took the opportunity to add a stud wall and create an office space for me as I had been using the conservatory for my office before. That took just under two weeks and was just about the maximum I could cope with while still living in the house. We managed to set up a temporary kitchen area in the conservatory and if we hadn't had that space it would have been quite uncomfortable.

My colleague is currently moving house. When I spoke to her the other day she was saying she loves her old house and they had just got it exactly as they wanted it but her husband likes a project so they were moving so he could start all over again. That just seems ludicrous to me.

He sounds like an enormous pain in the ar$e. Manchild.
    Ben