Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,473

Caught a bit of a programme last night about Cornwall/climate change/flooding/pollution. Don't know the name.

Part of the programme concerned the introduction of beaver and the effect it had on the environment. Their dam building had a dramatic effect on the reduction of flooding in the local village as well as creating a habitat for more diverse wildlife.

This is the project

https://www.cornwallwildlifetrust.org.uk/what-we-do/our-conservation-work/on-land/cornwall-beaver-project

Perhaps a cost effective way of helping to reduce flooding in some areas which are susceptible?

It's already a tactic that is being used to create upland flooding and protect the lower parts of a catchment where the development tends to be.

Think I saw some of the same programme the previous week where the guy was looking at the economy of the region. The disconnect between the haves and have nots down there is a disgrace.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,624

Caught a bit of a programme last night about Cornwall/climate change/flooding/pollution. Don't know the name.

Part of the programme concerned the introduction of beaver and the effect it had on the environment. Their dam building had a dramatic effect on the reduction of flooding in the local village as well as creating a habitat for more diverse wildlife.

This is the project

https://www.cornwallwildlifetrust.org.uk/what-we-do/our-conservation-work/on-land/cornwall-beaver-project

Perhaps a cost effective way of helping to reduce flooding in some areas which are susceptible?

I was walking along Beverley Brook on Wimbledon Common a while ago, I used to ride my bike along there a lot as a kid, and it's had a lot of attention along that stretch. There was a sign saying the name derivates from beaver brook and whilst it had been a particularly dull stretch of water along there they were trying to replicate the effect of beavers. It had been made to run in a straight line for a little over a mile with man made banks and barge boards to control it. Lots of tree cover so it and the path alongside were very dark. They have cut down some of the trees and made artificial beaver dams to create a few deeper pools, other branches have been put in the water to disrupt the flow and make it meander more. The barge boards have been removed and generally there is more light down there. I was impressed, made it quite a bit nicer although I'm sure the path will still be a quagmire through winter.
    Coincidentally, Beverley Brook gets its name from beavers. There is a lot of the 're-wilding' happening on the Wandle near me, as well.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297

This is the project

I was walking along Beverley Brook on Wimbledon Common a while ago, I used to ride my bike along there a lot as a kid, and it's had a lot of attention along that stretch. There was a sign saying the name derivates from beaver brook and whilst it had been a particularly dull stretch of water along there they were trying to replicate the effect of beavers. It had been made to run in a straight line for a little over a mile with man made banks and barge boards to control it. Lots of tree cover so it and the path alongside were very dark. They have cut down some of the trees and made artificial beaver dams to create a few deeper pools, other branches have been put in the water to disrupt the flow and make it meander more. The barge boards have been removed and generally there is more light down there. I was impressed, made it quite a bit nicer although I'm sure the path will still be a quagmire through winter.
    Would furry animals have been cheaper?
    Probably not as I think a lot of it is done by volunteers, furry animals would be far nicer of course. But, I'm not sure they would survive that well with the number of dogs walked along there.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,858
    Pross said:

This is the project

It's already a tactic that is being used to create upland flooding and protect the lower parts of a catchment where the development tends to be.

Think I saw some of the same programme the previous week where the guy was looking at the economy of the region. The disconnect between the haves and have nots down there is a disgrace.

Turn a mile or two off the A30, and you'll quickly find deprivation. I once went through Bugle, and entering the lower part of the village thought OMG. Then I carried on to the upper part of the village and realised that the lower part was the posh end.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I'm intrigued at the quote i've just got to install some internal shutters on the front windows of the new house (2 bay windows, one upstairs one down).

£2800 for MDF
    £3300 for actual wood ones.

I'm flabbergasted tbh
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,453

This is the project

I reckon that more beaver could be the answer to quite a few issues.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Yes. Quite.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Stevo_666 said:

This is the project

My Canadanadian cousin's husband works for a magazine that was called the Beaver, they changed it's name a few years ago to Canada's History as apparently there was some confusion.
  • elbowloh said:

I'm intrigued at the quote i've just got to install some internal shutters on the front windows of the new house (2 bay windows, one upstairs one down).

£2800 for MDF

I'm flabbergasted tbh

my flabber was well and truly gasted when I did this

window coverings are more expensive than the actual windows
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

Stevo_666 said:

This is the project

My Canadanadian cousin's husband works for a magazine that was called the Beaver, they changed it's name a few years ago to Canada's History as apparently there was some confusion.
    Confusion? I would imagine disappointment as well.
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

This is the project

Confusion? I would imagine disappointment as well.
    They could have made a killing by wrapping it in opaque cellophane, sticking it on the top shelf and doubling the price.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • rjsterry
    elbowloh said:

£2800 for MDF

I'm flabbergasted tbh

Joinery innit. Labour intensive and highly skilled work. Wait till you see the price of a nice oak staircase.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

£2800 for MDF

I'm flabbergasted tbh

Joinery innit. Labour intensive and highly skilled work. Wait till you see the price of a nice oak staircase.
    But a joiner could probably knock those up in a day, two at the most! The material cost (for the MDF at least) is "immaterial".
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

£2800 for MDF

I'm flabbergasted tbh

But a joiner could probably knock those up in a day, two at the most! The material cost (for the MDF at least) is "immaterial".
    you think he could pop over to measure up, leave, buy the materials, make 8 shutters (two hinged) paint them then return and install them in a day?
  • You could measure up for him, he could buy the materials (a few inches too long, just in case) and do all the work at your place to save the travel.

Even if it took 2 days it's insane.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    edited November 2020

Stevo_666 said:

This is the project

Oregon State University sports teams are "the Beavers".

I once rowed under a bridge on the Willamette daubed with "Go Beavers".

True.
  • Stevo_666
    Went skiing to Whistler over in British Colombia many years ago. The driver of the minibus transferring us to the resort couldn't understand why there was so much sniggering from his passengers when we went past this place:
    https://furrycreekgolf.com/
  • rjsterry
    elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

£2800 for MDF

I'm flabbergasted tbh

Not sure what your spec is, but a full set of panelled shutters for a bay window is a wee bit more than a day's work. Painting alone would take at least a day and a half from bare wood. Even if made in MDF, by the time you've added ironmongery and paint you'd be looking at a few hundred on materials.

Plus they are all busy at the moment so they can name their price.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,142

This is the project

I watched a presentation a few years ago from some bod at the EA about their expensive flood defence project which mostly involved chucking branches across streams up in the hills to slow down the water flow.
    It sounds like someone's figured out you can get a furry critter to do the work for you.
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

£2800 for MDF

I'm flabbergasted tbh

you think he could pop over to measure up, leave, buy the materials, make 8 shutters (two hinged) paint them then return and install them in a day?
    No. I said he could knock up the pieces in a day. We did the measuring up. The cutting would take a few hours. They'll only be cutting standard pieces to the right length. the installation cost (itemised on the bill is £180).
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,566
    One of things that intrigues me is why do people argue on internet forums when they have limited knowledge of a subject, or rather it is clear someone else has more.
  • Stevo_666

One of things that intrigues me is why do people argue on internet forums when they have limited knowledge of a subject, or rather it is clear someone else has more.

Maybe they don't realise that they don't know much?

Although I wouldn't mind somebody starting the odd one along the lines of 'Company X doesn't pay their fair share of tax'; haven't had one of those in a while and the limited knowledge aspect is almost guaranteed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,575
    edited November 2020
    Stevo_666 said:

Although I wouldn't mind somebody starting the odd one along the lines of 'Company X doesn't pay their fair share of tax'; haven't had one of those in a while and the limited knowledge aspect is almost guaranteed.
    This is because you have a different argument to the one that is being made.

Edit: I think the way you understand 'fair' in that argument is totally different to what other people do, and that is the root of the disagreement.

• Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

I don't think so. It is usually down to lack of understanding, as several on here have ably demonstrated in the past.
  • elbowloh
    I find it intriguing that people come on to the internet seemingly with the sole intention with having an argument with someone.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,575
    elbowloh said:

I find it intriguing that people come on to the internet seemingly with the sole intention with having an argument with someone.

Better scratch that itch online with pseudonyms where no-one gets hurt over real life people who don't have the patience I do for an argument!
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

Edit: I think the way you understand 'fair' in that argument is totally different to what other people do, and that is the root of the disagreement.

That's good evidence for BB's point, thanks.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    edited November 2020

Good question. I don't know about anyone else but I have fairly set sources of go to guys and resources where I generally get my opinions from be they favourite journalists/reporters, authors, news sources, debate programs etc etc. Like most people (I think) I have my own world view informed by parents, education, peers, travel and work colleagues but I like to think I'm open minded enough to test my opinions in debate. For anyone who enjoys arguing and who sees it as a means to increasing their knowledge and refining their own viewpoints then it seems pretty pointless hanging around in echo chambers which places like Twitter often become and so I find myself in Cakestop(and a couple of other forums) where I'm generally on the other side of the argument to the majority. Sometimes it drives me nuts but believe it or not I do learn a lot from some.of the debates.
  • That last sentence has no place on a CS post.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited November 2020
    What's intriguing me today?

That people can get so upset over a supermarket's Christmas advertisement.

I suppose racists gonna racist.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/