Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,636
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

I'm intrigued at the quote i've just got to install some internal shutters on the front windows of the new house (2 bay windows, one upstairs one down).

£2800 for MDF
    £3300 for actual wood ones.

I'm flabbergasted tbh

Joinery innit. Labour intensive and highly skilled work. Wait till you see the price of a nice oak staircase.
    But a joiner could probably knock those up in a day, two at the most! The material cost (for the MDF at least) is "immaterial".
    you think he could pop over to measure up, leave, buy the materials, make 8 shutters (two hinged) paint them then return and install them in a day?
    No. I said he could knock up the pieces in a day. We did the measuring up. The cutting would take a few hours. They'll only be cutting standard pieces to the right length. the installation cost (itemised on the bill is £180).
    Firstly, your measurements will only be good enough for pricing. The joiner would need to remeasure the bay window for fabrication. To take SC's example, assuming each shutter is of traditional construction has two panels with a mid rail. Each shutter needs five lengths of frame to be cut and planed to size, with rebates cut to take the panel on one or two sides. Each panel needs to be cut to size, planed and then profiled on all four sides to fit the rebates in the frame. Then there are six mortice and tenon joints to join the frame together. I reckon maybe 3hrs per shutter for basic assembly. Multiply that by 8 and you are at 3 and a bit days work. Add on the painting and you're at a working week before they are fitted.

I've just looked up shutter latch bars and there's a nice brass one for £150. Three hinges per shutter is 24, so that's another £250 for matching brass = £400 on ironmongery.

I'm sure you can shop around and find them a bit cheaper, but I hope that goes some way to explaining how a set of shutters can cost £2-3k.

If it makes you feel better I've just had a quote for £6k to take down 5 sets of large old shutters, fill, sand and spray finish, and rehang
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

I'm intrigued at the quote i've just got to install some internal shutters on the front windows of the new house (2 bay windows, one upstairs one down).

£2800 for MDF

I'm flabbergasted tbh

Joinery innit. Labour intensive and highly skilled work. Wait till you see the price of a nice oak staircase.
    But a joiner could probably knock those up in a day, two at the most! The material cost (for the MDF at least) is "immaterial".
    you think he could pop over to measure up, leave, buy the materials, make 8 shutters (two hinged) paint them then return and install them in a day?
    No. I said he could knock up the pieces in a day. We did the measuring up. The cutting would take a few hours. They'll only be cutting standard pieces to the right length. the installation cost (itemised on the bill is £180).
    Firstly, your measurements will only be good enough for pricing. The joiner would need to remeasure the bay window for fabrication. To take SC's example, assuming each shutter is of traditional construction has two panels with a mid rail. Each shutter needs five lengths of frame to be cut and planed to size, with rebates cut to take the panel on one or two sides. Each panel needs to be cut to size, planed and then profiled on all four sides to fit the rebates in the frame. Then there are six mortice and tenon joints to join the frame together. I reckon maybe 3hrs per shutter for basic assembly. Multiply that by 8 and you are at 3 and a bit days work. Add on the painting and you're at a working week before they are fitted.

I've just looked up shutter latch bars and there's a nice brass one for £150. Three hinges per shutter is 24, so that's another £250 for matching brass = £400 on ironmongery.

I'm sure you can shop around and find them a bit cheaper, but I hope that goes some way to explaining how a set of shutters can cost £2-3k.

If it makes you feel better I've just had a quote for £6k to take down 5 sets of large old shutters, fill, sand and spray finish, and rehang
    I had a radiator cover built with a bookcase above, at £2k I thought this was pricey and when he offered to paint them for £200 I refused and did it myself. A few weekends later I was regretting that decision.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

elbowloh said:

£2800 for MDF

I'm flabbergasted tbh

Do you want the job or something? You've spent far more time on this than when they did the quote. ;-)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,636
    😄 No, thank you. My mortice and tenon joints need a lot more practice before I can charge anyone money for them. It's just something that comes up a lot at work.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    elbowloh said:

I find it intriguing that people come on to the internet seemingly with the sole intention with having an argument with someone.

No they don't!
  • elbowloh said:

I find it intriguing that people come on to the internet seemingly with the sole intention with having an argument with someone.

No they don't!
    how can you make such a sweeping statement?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,483
    I'm intrigued why the BBC keep saying Hamilton made history at the weekend by equalling Schumacher's total of 7 World Championships. How can you make history by doing something someone else did?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,606
    Pross said:

I'm intrigued why the BBC keep saying Hamilton made history at the weekend by equalling Schumacher's total of 7 World Championships. How can you make history by doing something someone else did?

Haha - you sound like 21 year old me talking about Dr Livingstone (the first person in parts of Africa he certainly wasn’t)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Pross said:

I suppose everything that's happened is history, just that most of it is not particularly noteworthy.
  • ballysmate

elbowloh said:

No they don't!
    Wanna argue about it?
  • elbowloh said:

No they don't!
    Wanna argue about it?
    Always
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Think I must be in the dog house.
    Wife asks if i want lunch*.
    I answer in the affirmative.
    She goes off and i can hear things going in the oven.
    Come down for lunch and she's only made food for herself.

*this is a rare occasion, I do most of the lunches and almost all the dinners in this house.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ballysmate
    elbowloh said:

*this is a rare occasion, I do most of the lunches and almost all the dinners in this house.

One of life's mysteries encountered by all married me. "Wtf have I done wrong?"
    The usual response is silence or "If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you!"
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288

elbowloh said:

One of life's mysteries encountered by all married me. "Wtf have I done wrong?"
    The usual response is silence or "If you don't know, I'm not going to tell you!"
    Yes we all enjoy playing the "guess why I'm upset today" game.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,325
    elbowloh said:

As do I so that would really irk me.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,742
    Why do Babcock International do the training for MET trainees?
    Seems to be something that would be much more effective in-house.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,145
    pblakeney said:

Why do Babcock International do the training for MET trainees?
    Seems to be something that would be much more effective in-house.

Outsourcing innit.
    Better value for all involved. Allegedly.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    Why do we say "Breathe in!" to make ourselves smaller? Breathing in can only make us larger...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,742

Why do we say "Breathe in!" to make ourselves smaller? Breathing in can only make us larger...

Most people breathe incorrectly when they think about doing it. They inhale to the upper lungs which pulls the stomach in. Works for your example but is poor technique.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,861
    pblakeney said:

Most people breathe incorrectly when they think about doing it. They inhale to the upper lungs which pulls the stomach in. Works for your example but is poor technique.

All true (as a trumpeter, this is part of my training), but you must still be bigger overall. But it shows how ingrained this expression is, as the more accurate "Breathe out!" would sound silly.
  • ballysmate
    The art of applying mastic without the need to smooth it with your finger.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674

I remember one of my few experiences of proper caving: Long Churn, with the infamous cheesepress.

(that's not me, he looks distinctly thinner :# )

I have a particularly deep barrel chest, and the cheesepress was a nightmare: I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I've had to fight so hard not to panic. After wriggling into the tightest bit, I found that I literally couldn't breathe in. I could only make progress by breathing right out, taking a series of tiny breaths, breathing out again and moving another few inches.

TLDR: yes, I know.
  • Pross
    Why is there a sudden surge of new posters on here with a string of random letters and numbers after their names? I know the obvious answer but their first posts seem sensible. It may be like a cloned credit card though where there's a small purchase first to ensure everything works properly.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

I have a particularly deep barrel chest, and the cheesepress was a nightmare: I don't think I've ever been in a situation where I've had to fight so hard not to panic. After wriggling into the tightest bit, I found that I literally couldn't breathe in. I could only make progress by breathing right out, taking a series of tiny breaths, breathing out again and moving another few inches.

TLDR: yes, I know.
    I once did a cave in Mendip that was like a vertical version of the cheese press with lots of right angle corners to a dead end. I was leading and gave up before the end (mainly due to complaints from behind). It was that tight you had to take your belt off or the battery would get caught and your arms didn't have the movement to free it). It was a bastard to turn round but I thought at least it wouldn't be any worse going back and theoretically easier as the passage would be slowly widening. I was wrong - the geometry was all different wrt my body and it was worse. At one point I chipped a front tooth turning my head round because the passage wasn't quite wide enough for my skull. Every inch something caught on something - it was somewhere you had to concentrate hard on being rational or get into a panic. The rest of the group noted that I was unusually sweary!

Faster than a tent.......
  • Pross
    I went potholing in scouts once and we had to go into a deadend tunnel that was so low you had to take your helmet off and push it in front. There was then a section where the tunnel widened (but didn't get any higher) just enough that you could twist around and crawl back out. I was stupidly skinny back then although I've always had wide shoulders so my fear was that they would get stuck. I don't know how the adults managed it. I can't recall being overly scared at the time but when I think back on it now I get a bit panicked for some reason.

I'm a bit odd with heights too. On that same scout trip we did rock climbing on what was quite a low, and probably very simple, cliff and I froze half way up but I was quite happy abseiling on the same cliff and have done higher. I have also jumped from cliffs up to around 15m high but get in a bit of a panic climbing a ladder to clear the guttering on our house. I think I could quite easily do the parachute element of the Paras training but would freeze on that scaffolding thing they have to walk / run around, my fear there is falling on the bars and smashing by shins (or worse!) rather than actually falling off.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I managed to get my self stuck in a cave for about 90 mins. In a passage that you had to shuffle along on one side horizontally. I got the fastener for the crutch strap on my wetsuit jammed as it started to descend slightly. One of the other guys in the party managed to get his hand under my leg and rip my suit, I then slid out. Only problem was I had to go through where I got stuck. Fortunately it was easier going back.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,298
    Pross said:

Why is there a sudden surge of new posters on here with a string of random letters and numbers after their names? I know the obvious answer but their first posts seem sensible. It may be like a cloned credit card though where there's a small purchase first to ensure everything works properly.

I think it might be that rather tan create a username they just sign in with bookFace or something and the computergenerates a name for them. Not sure why I think that other than seeing it somewhere but not really paying attention because it's very boring.
    WRT caving or potholing, sodthatforagameofsoldiers.
  • This caving sounds great fun.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,606

This caving sounds great fun.

NAAAAAT.