Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,344
    Exactly. Nobody wants to look like a fool. Although Hancock does appear to have a humiliation kink.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Dry County by Bon Jovi is a good miserable ballad.

REM always an interesting one. Fantastic when in the mood but often misses the mark. None of their CD’s can be ripped either so they never made the playlists.

That is not true. So I've heard. 😉
    Interesting, I never made any attempt to get around it. It’s just I have a pile of about 7 unripped cd’s. 2 are scratched and 5 are REM.

Do these ‘people’ you’ve ‘heard’ of use anything special?
    No. Although a small sample size of Automatic For The People and Out Of Time.
    I did have a Blue Nile CD that was protected. They sent me an unprotected copy on request which was nice. 😎 I wouldn't bother in these days of streaming lossless.
    TBH, I thought I’d rip all my CD’s as not all of them are available on streaming services. The effort involved is not much more than having to add all the good stuff as favourites in a streaming service. It also allowed me to scrimp on a subscription and ultimately chuck the discs.

But yes, I did wonder if it would ultimately be a waste of effort. Glad we don’t have the thousands that some people do/did.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

REM always an interesting one. Fantastic when in the mood but often misses the mark. None of their CD’s can be ripped either so they never made the playlists.

Interesting, I never made any attempt to get around it. It’s just I have a pile of about 7 unripped cd’s. 2 are scratched and 5 are REM.

Toothpaste helps with the scratches
    Interesting. One will be beyond hope but the other may benefit.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,162
    morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

I did have a Blue Nile CD that was protected. They sent me an unprotected copy on request which was nice. 😎 I wouldn't bother in these days of streaming lossless.
    TBH, I thought I’d rip all my CD’s as not all of them are available on streaming services. The effort involved is not much more than having to add all the good stuff as favourites in a streaming service. It also allowed me to scrimp on a subscription and ultimately chuck the discs.

But yes, I did wonder if it would ultimately be a waste of effort. Glad we don’t have the thousands that some people do/did.
    I would have done all my CDs many years ago before high quality streaming was available. I would think about doing all my non-available vinyl once my "office" is dismantled and the full hi-fi put back.
    Just as well for me that it is still illegal (?) as I do have thousands. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

I would have done all my CDs many years ago before high quality streaming was available. I would think about doing all my non-available vinyl once my "office" is dismantled and the full hi-fi put back.
    Surely if you already own it, it's not illegal?
  • pblakeney
    Tashman said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Just checked and apparently it is illegal.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-33566933
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • God I feel old, bought this while still a teen, lot of their back catologue a while later... Out Of time is over 30 years old! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX3oP5joWBI

Don't listen, or I'm telling. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Fair enough, seems bizarre though and one of those pointless pieces of legislation.
  • pblakeney
    Tashman said:

pblakeney said:

Tashman said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Fair enough, seems bizarre though and one of those pointless pieces of legislation.
    I just added these comments to ensure that everyone was complying with the law as nobody would want to break the law now, would they? 😉 (AKA covering my back)
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 20,017
    Why the governors of my school think it's necessary for the staff handbook to be updated to say that firearms should not be brought into school, after the Epsom tragedy.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,967
    edited March 2023

Why the governors of my school think it's necessary for the staff handbook to be updated to say that firearms should not be brought into school, after the Epsom tragedy.

You have to ask how many of them have firearms. I would suggest more than none, old chap.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227

Coz CYA is the most important thing evah?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,758

Does it consider weapons grade plutonium? How about cyanide? Do you have processes in place for handling the discovery of rare birds? You could either have fun with this or roll your eyes and comply.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,967
    I've got it. There is a Walther PPK hidden in the trumpet case.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,397

It’s the violinists with their Thompson guns you need to worry about.
  • briantrumpet

Rumbled.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,344
    I seem to remember a villain in a Bond film had a sniper rifle disguised as a flute.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet

Does it consider weapons grade plutonium? How about cyanide? Do you have processes in place for handling the discovery of rare birds? You could either have fun with this or roll your eyes and comply.

Thanks. I'll pass on your observations to the governors.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    edited March 2023
    Quite fascinated by the mental gymnastics Hamilton does on political questions.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/mar/02/lewis-hamilton-rejects-claims-f1-positive-impact-repressive-regimes-bahrain-saudi-arabia

Lewis Hamilton has cast doubt over Formula One’s claims that the sport brings about positive change in some of the repressive regimes where it races. In the buildup to the opening race of the new season in Bahrain on Sunday the seven-time champion insisted F1 should do more to make a difference to improve conditions in states highly criticised for their human rights records such as Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

It's a whole combination of a black kid from Stevenadge who's being educated about race & politics in the US, where it's very different, and then being wildly successful in a deeply cynical posh-boys sport, which he has dedicated his entire life to.

All sorts of things going on here.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,565
    edited March 2023
    I would also throw into the pot, having Ron Dennis as a very influential figure while he was growing up.
  • rick_chasey
    Of course, who is, by all accounts, not a balanced individual.....
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 3,565
    As a little bit of a fan, I find myself struggling to criticize him too much tbh.

I think F1 has had a positive impact on the exposure of the darker side of the oil states. But as yet this hasn't actually translated into many positive actions.
  • rick_chasey
    Weirdly on this topic he's more self aware than Vettel (not a Hamilton strong point, let's be honest), who was spouting off about climate change and oil & gas emissions whilst wearing an Aramco emblazoned top; not known for their interest in the climate transition. Quite the opposite.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201

Weirdly on this topic he's more self aware than Vettel (not a Hamilton strong point, let's be honest), who was spouting off about climate change and oil & gas emissions whilst wearing an Aramco emblazoned top; not known for their interest in the climate transition. Quite the opposite.

That was quite a brave thing to do to diss one of your main sponsors.

Do you think Sir Jim Radcliffe should be sponsoring a cycling team and are you protesting about this fact?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2023
    pinno said:

That was quite a brave thing to do to diss one of your main sponsors.

Do you think Sir Jim Radcliffe should be sponsoring a cycling team and are you protesting about this fact?
    You call it Brave, I call it disingenuous. He's still taking their money, right?

I don't mind teams being sponsored by anyone (I have my preferences, obviously, but I'm not inclined to ban anything), but I think the people taking their money need to be honest about it.

Making out you're really concerned about climate change and then being paid millions to advertise the firm which has dug 4% of all total global emissions out of the ground is a bit rich, pun intended.

If I was a pro cyclist and I was really concerned about human rights, I probably wouldn't ride for Bahrain or UAE?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,978
    Guns n Roses being considered Glastonbury headliners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23LT0E89m1s
  • pblakeney

Guns n Roses being considered Glastonbury headliners.

I'm guessing that it gives a clue as to the age of the organisers?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,201
    Axle's struggling there a little.
    I don't know who's worse: him or Paul Young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKKfztGLqUI
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,613
    The Monty hall problem.
    A brain-teaser that probably has been mentioned here before, but I like it.

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?"

Presuming you’d prefer a car to a goat, is it best to stick or change to box 2?

• rick_chasey
    masjer said:

The Monty hall problem.
    A brain-teaser that probably has been mentioned here before, but I like it.

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?"

Presuming you’d prefer a car to a goat, is it best to stick or change to box 2?

Always change