Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,366
    Have you been browsing the gender catalogue again FA?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316

It amazes me how little choice there is in phones in comparison to cars. They all look the same, two operating systems, two big manufacturers etc. I'd still like physical keys, but that is very hard to get.

That's like saying there is more choice in restaurants than cars. Totally irrelevant.

There is exactly the same amount of choice with phones that there is with PC operating systems. Or with processors. Or viable national political parties. Admittedly there is way more choice of gender these days, but it didn't used to be the case.

You get my point.
    I understand the lack of choice in operating systems as that is driven by access to apps, but I do think there could be more choice in phones for the reason I noted - I would like a keyboard.
    Nokia used to be very innovative in offering different phone designs. Ultimately though not enough people wanted them.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    pinno said:

Have you been browsing the gender catalogue again FA?

Yes I have. I was looking at the options for identifiers on LinkedIn. I settled on "it" in the end.
  • First.Aspect

It amazes me how little choice there is in phones in comparison to cars. They all look the same, two operating systems, two big manufacturers etc. I'd still like physical keys, but that is very hard to get.

That's like saying there is more choice in restaurants than cars. Totally irrelevant.

There is exactly the same amount of choice with phones that there is with PC operating systems. Or with processors. Or viable national political parties. Admittedly there is way more choice of gender these days, but it didn't used to be the case.

You get my point.
    I understand the lack of choice in operating systems as that is driven by access to apps, but I do think there could be more choice in phones for the reason I noted - I would like a keyboard.
    Big Button Mobile Phone for Elderly, artfone C1+ Dual SIM Unlocked, 1400mAh Battery, Unlocked Senior Mobile Phone with SOS Emergency Button, Charging Dock (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0838WV2YL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_94ZY22BG8S4CBR8H3DG2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    How many different operating systems are there for cars? Petrol engine, diesel engine, electric? From what I can see, most have the same basic design, and only the nice to haves are different.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    pangolin said:

You get my point.
    Nokia used to be very innovative in offering different phone designs. Ultimately though not enough people wanted them.
    Motorola too used to have different designs, but they've fallen by the wayside too.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • kingstongraham
    You can get a bluetooth keyboard if you want to do any actual typing, can't you?
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

You can get a bluetooth keyboard if you want to do any actual typing, can't you?

Yes, but if I'm going to sit down to type I'm going to use something more sensible like a laptop.
  • TheBigBean

How many different operating systems are there for cars? Petrol engine, diesel engine, electric? From what I can see, most have the same basic design, and only the nice to haves are different.

I don't drive, but you seem to be able to buy all shapes and sizes of cars. You can have an automatic or manual. You can have leather seats, parking sensors, sun roofs etc. The options seem endless. There are also loads of different manufacturers.

• kingstongraham

I don't drive, but you seem to be able to buy all shapes and sizes of cars. You can have an automatic or manual. You can have leather seats, parking sensors, sun roofs etc. The options seem endless. There are also loads of different manufacturers.

All shapes and sizes? They all look relatively similar to me. Four wheels on the corners, operated by a steering wheel and pedals. Sure you can get more or less bells and whistles, a slightly different body shape, a bit larger or smaller according to your needs, and there are quite a few manufacturers, but we've generally settled on a basic design that people are comfortable with, and anything outside that is pretty niche.

It's not like there's only two phone makers, it's just nobody mass market is doing anything that won't sell. I bought a Unihertz Jelly phone a few years back, and it was different (by being ridiculously small) - but I don't use it because it wasn't actually very good.
  • TheBigBean

All shapes and sizes? They all look relatively similar to me. Four wheels on the corners, operated by a steering wheel and pedals. Sure you can get more or less bells and whistles, a slightly different body shape, a bit larger or smaller according to your needs, and there are quite a few manufacturers, but we've generally settled on a basic design that people are comfortable with, and anything outside that is pretty niche.

It's not like there's only two phone makers, it's just nobody mass market is doing anything that won't sell. I bought a Unihertz Jelly phone a few years back, and it was different (by being ridiculously small) - but I don't use it because it wasn't actually very good.
    It is true that all cars have four wheels and a steering wheel, but you can also buy motorbikes as well as any number of other vehicles such as motorhomes, pick-up trucks, vans etc. There is a huge variety, and yet I can't buy a phone with a keyboard.

I have been similarly amazed in the past about the variety in buses. They seem to vary by city and country as well. Perhaps I have spent too long sitting on them.
  • pinno

...but we've generally settled on a basic design that people are comfortable with, and anything outside that is pretty niche.
    100+ years of evolution means that manufacturers have just about settled on the same aerodynamic conclusion.
    But I see your point.

Phones - marketing innit.

• kingstongraham
    You can buy a phone with a keyboard.
  • First.Aspect

See link above. I think you can also still get the ones that plug into the wall.
  • kingstongraham
    edited August 2021

See link above. I think you can also still get the ones that plug into the wall.
    This looks the right kind of thing as well, updated version coming out in November. https://www.fxtec.com/pro1x
  • pinno

You can buy bongo drums.
  • First.Aspect
    pinno said:

You can buy bongo drums.
    Camp fire and a blanket.
  • TheBigBean

This looks the right kind of thing as well, updated version coming out in November. https://www.fxtec.com/pro1x
    I could buy it in November. Not now. And I still can't buy a portrait one which is what I want. A new Blackberry is supposedly going to be released at some point, but the longer the wait the more sceptical people are becoming.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited August 2021

I could buy it in November. Not now. And I still can't buy a portrait one which is what I want. A new Blackberry is supposedly going to be released at some point, but the longer the wait the more sceptical people are becoming.
    Give the manufacturers the choice of selling millions of the current design or one of the design you want. How do you expect that to pan out?

PS - You can also say that you have a Porsche.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/BlackBerry-Porsche-RHB121LW-CYRILLIC-Keyboard/dp/B00O2YIN4A/ref=asc_df_B00O2YIN4A/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=311075391090&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7822073748324918909&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007322&hvtargid=pla-613765143752&psc=1
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,699

The variety in cars is fairly superficial.

https://www.hotcars.com/surprising-cars-built-on-same-platform/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

The variety in cars is fairly superficial.

https://www.hotcars.com/surprising-cars-built-on-same-platform/
    That some cars have the same chassis doesn't persuade me especially when the rest of the car is different.
  • kingstongraham

You can buy an older blackberry now if you want. But you are shopping in a niche market. Samsung did a clip on keyboard for the s8 but I guess it didn't sell.

• kingstongraham

You can buy an older blackberry now if you want. But you are shopping in a niche market. Samsung did a clip on keyboard for the s8 but I guess it didn't sell.

Or a Unihertz Titan.
  • TheBigBean

Or a Unihertz Titan.
    There's not much point buying an old phone to replace my old phone. The Unihertz Titan is an option. A new Blackberry should be arriving this year. Perhaps. I'm waiting for that. None of this convinces me that there is much choice in the market.

For what it is worth, I saw some analysis a while ago that said if Samsung made a high end phone with a keyboard they would sell lots of it, but the sales would come from their existing market share, so there would be no point in doing it. If another manufacturer made the same phone, it wouldn't sell, because it is not an Apple/Samsung.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Why won't Campagnolo sell a version of 11 speed Record in silver alloy with 5 spoke cranks? I imagine they could sell loads to those with retro bikes.

I don't actually, but it is on trend. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    I have got used to my black campag 11 with it's red flashes, Matches the Gtr beautifully as if it were made for each other plus the Cento uno carbon cranks match too! Christ, i'm a tart.
    My old Record on the C40 is a mix of carbon and alloy - perfect IMHO.
  • TheBigBean
    pinno said:

I have got used to my black campag 11 with it's red flashes, Matches the Gtr beautifully as if it were made for each other plus the Cento uno carbon cranks match too! Christ, i'm a tart.

And you described a DAC as gobbledegook.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

pinno said:

My wife used to come home from work and just talk work acronyms at me.

No matter how many times I informed her I neither knew what they meant and was not going to make any effort to learn them, she just carried on.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    morstar said:

pinno said:

My wife used to come home from work and just talk work acronyms at me.

No matter how many times I informed her I neither knew what they meant and was not going to make any effort to learn them, she just carried on.
    That's because your job is to just sit there, nod your head and sympathise with her so she can unload the stress and be able relax for the evening.

My wife does/did the same and it's better for everyone to just go along with it. The few times I didn't I paid the price. I learned it's well worth giving 5 mins of undivided attention at that point.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Nowhere else to put this but this is some investigation https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/extra/8iaz6xit26/the-lost-tablet-and-the-secret-documents