Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,564

morstar said:

Afghanistan.
    After decades of foreign involvement from both east then west, a military vacuum leaves the place to descend into unrest.

Who will be the next to get sucked in? And what has been achieved in the last 20 years?

The lesson of history is that no one conquers Afghanistan. I read that in a guidebook prior to the US led invasion.
    What was the logic for invading Iraq and Afghanistan?
    The US-Afghan extradition treaty wasn't up to scratch, so war was the chosen outcome.

The US needed to invade somewhere else and Saudia Arabia wasn't a good option. Iraq was chosen on the basis of it being a recent sparing partner and its leader wasn't very nice.
  • TheBigBean
    There are several trabel related things that intrigue me about Afghanistan.

How it was ever peaceful enough to get its place on the hippy trail.

Why so many (relative measure) travellers want to go there based purely on out dated stories from washed up hippies?

Why, despite hearing many stories about it actually being a bit dull, people like me are still intrigued by the place? By way of example, I've not met many people going to great lengths to visit Iraq.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,568

morstar said:

Afghanistan.
    After decades of foreign involvement from both east then west, a military vacuum leaves the place to descend into unrest.

Who will be the next to get sucked in? And what has been achieved in the last 20 years?

The lesson of history is that no one conquers Afghanistan. I read that in a guidebook prior to the US led invasion.
    The US-Afghan extradition treaty wasn't up to scratch, so war was the chosen outcome.

The US needed to invade somewhere else and Saudia Arabia wasn't a good option. Iraq was chosen on the basis of it being a recent sparing partner and its leader wasn't very nice.
    Forgive me for having to try hard to find the logic there.
  • rick_chasey

Why so many (relative measure) travellers want to go there based purely on out dated stories from washed up hippies?

Why, despite hearing many stories about it actually being a bit dull, people like me are still intrigued by the place? By way of example, I've not met many people going to great lengths to visit Iraq.

I didn’t know it was on the hippy trail?!
  • morstar said:

Afghanistan.

Churchill is often claimed to have said the three golden rules of warfare you should never forget are;
    Never invade Afghanistan
    Never invade Russia
    Never invade Afghanistan
  • TheBigBean

I didn’t know it was on the hippy trail?!
    Was full of cafes selling mountains of cannibis very cheaply, so the tales go.

• TheBigBean

morstar said:

Afghanistan.

Forgive me for having to try hard to find the logic there.
    I would have thought my response very much implied that logic was lacking.
  • TheBigBean
    edited August 2021

morstar said:

Afghanistan.

Churchill is often claimed to have said the three golden rules of warfare you should never forget are;
    Never invade Afghanistan
    Never invade Russia
    Never invade Afghanistan
    I hadn't heard that, but it's amusing and hard to argue against. Amazing that the US and UK managed to break two of the golden rules.

Anyone who has read war and peace will appreciate the other.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Just got an email to say that I didn't get the job at Brompton I randomly applied for online about 6 months ago. I didn't really expect anything from it, but just surprised its taken them long.

Speedy recruitment process.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Why anybody would pay over £1000 for a mobile phone, it's just beyond my comprehension.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    womack said:

Why anybody would pay over £1000 for a mobile phone, it's just beyond my comprehension.

Makes more sense than $1000 cycling shoes to me.
    But then if you can afford it then knock yourself out.

https://www.velonews.com/gear/apparel-accessories/mavics-comete-ultimate-expensive-cycling-shoes-ever/
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    womack said:

See it as a powerful computer you can hold in your pocket which also takes calls
  • womack

womack said:

See it as a powerful computer you can hold in your pocket which also takes calls

Yeah but, have you tried reading things on a phone like on a PC, constant moving side to side, the two finger enlargement that runs out of pixels, not convinced, sorry.

• rick_chasey
    womack said:

womack said:

Yeah but, have you tried reading things on a phone like on a PC, constant moving side to side, the two finger enlargement that runs out of pixels, not convinced, sorry.

You don’t need to be sorry.

Do you regularly take your pc or laptop out whilst standing or out and a out for a quick browse?

• womack

womack said:

womack said:

Do you regularly take your pc or laptop out whilst standing or out and a out for a quick browse?

No I don't and I do realise the portable advantage of a phone over a PC but still can't get my head around why someone would want to pay North of a grand for an item that lets be honest is not really user friendly.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,560
    womack said:

womack said:

womack said:

No I don't and I do realise the portable advantage of a phone over a PC but still can't get my head around why someone would want to pay North of a grand for an item that lets be honest is not really user friendly.

Seriously? Take a short step back and just think again what that "phone" in your pocket can do.

Talk to people 20,000 km away in an instant, even with video
    Send/receive messaging to same
    Take surprisingly high quality photos and exceptional video, edit and send same instantly to wherever and whoever you want
    Help manage your banking, your wallet, your travel passes, your dating life, your health and fitness, and a thousand other things with a swipe or a wave.
    Let you watch movies, TV, or listen to any piece of music you want, any time, anywhere.

All in a little gadget that fits in your (deep) pocket.

If you don't find them astonishingly capable and user-friendly I'd suggest the problem is the User, not the device. :)

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,857

womack said:

womack said:

womack said:

Seriously? Take a short step back and just think again what that "phone" in your pocket can do.

Take surprisingly high quality photos and exceptional video, edit and send same instantly to wherever and whoever you want
    Help manage your banking, your wallet, your travel passes, your dating life, your health and fitness, and a thousand other things with a swipe or a wave.
    Let you watch movies, TV, or listen to any piece of music you want, any time, anywhere.

If you don't find them astonishingly capable and user-friendly I'd suggest the problem is the User, not the device. :)

They are remarkable, but I can do all of that with a £140 phone. Well, the photo and video bit might be compromised, but then I use a £200 camera with 30x optical zoom and fantastic image stabilisation for for photos bit. And I've still got £660 left over.
  • rick_chasey
    If you’re anything like me there’s also the fact you stare at it for a decent proportion of the day.

• womack

womack said:

womack said:

womack said:

They are remarkable, but I can do all of that with a £140 phone. Well, the photo and video bit might be compromised, but then I use a £200 camera with 30x optical zoom and fantastic image stabilisation for for photos bit. And I've still got £660 left over.

Thank you Brian, that is exactly the point I was aiming at. My phone was circa £160 and does all the above and to a quality which is adequate for me.

I would still add though that for example trying to read a bank statement on a mobile where you are constantly having to move from side to side to see all the data is not user friendly. On a PC it is all there in one screen shot.

The same thing with pdf's, you can't read one comfortably without constantly moving the page or as stated doing the two finger enlargement.

I regularly read this magazine on the PC. I defy even the most avid phone person to say it is user friendly to read on a phone.

https://www.eastalgarvemag.com/tablet/index.php
  • rick_chasey
    UX problem for your magazine innit
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    You can project the phones screen onto a monitor or TV screen which can be useful.
  • focuszing723
    edited August 2021
    Is it ok to fly on commercial jet if you feel strongly about global warming? There are numerous ways in modern society to communicate without hopping on an aeroplane. "Yes, but there are no alternatives so I have no choice". Ah, so you care about it when it doesn't impact your life, is what you mean.
  • womack

You can project the phones screen onto a monitor or TV screen which can be useful.

So you may as well just read it on a PC then 😀
  • You can project the phones screen onto a monitor or TV screen which can be useful.

It amazes me that so few people have a Chromecast
  • focuszing723
    Yes to all.
  • TheBigBean
    It amazes me how little choice there is in phones in comparison to cars. They all look the same, two operating systems, two big manufacturers etc. I'd still like physical keys, but that is very hard to get.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,471

It amazes me how little choice there is in phones in comparison to cars. They all look the same, two operating systems, two big manufacturers etc. I'd still like physical keys, but that is very hard to get.

I think the market has just fixed itself hasn't it? iPhone became so dominant on the move to smartphones and the others had to design something that looked similar in order to compete. Prior to that there was quite a lot of different designs.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,317
    edited August 2021
    pinno said:

womack said:

womack said:

womack said:

womack said:

They are remarkable, but I can do all of that with a £140 phone.
    I have a Nokia 2.2 with Android. Does most of what the expensive one's do for... £69.
    Up here in Jockland, on the few occasions that I stand at a bus stop, I might actually talk to someone (remember that?), rather than 'have a quick browse'.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,622

That's like saying there is more choice in restaurants than cars. Totally irrelevant.

There is exactly the same amount of choice with phones that there is with PC operating systems. Or with processors. Or viable national political parties. Admittedly there is way more choice of gender these days, but it didn't used to be the case.

You get my point.
  • TheBigBean

That's like saying there is more choice in restaurants than cars. Totally irrelevant.

There is exactly the same amount of choice with phones that there is with PC operating systems. Or with processors. Or viable national political parties. Admittedly there is way more choice of gender these days, but it didn't used to be the case.

You get my point.
    I understand the lack of choice in operating systems as that is driven by access to apps, but I do think there could be more choice in phones for the reason I noted - I would like a keyboard.