Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Perhaps they should have done a risk assessment and waited for a superior officer to run it past his superior who could have run it past MI5.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

In a nutshell.
  • womack
    Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

Unless you are John Charles de Menezes!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,804
    Close enough to remove the have a go guy, but far enough away to miss?
    Something doesn't add up. Probably my summary.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,697
    edited July 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

If at close range trained firearms officers can get less than 50% of their shots on target and others ricocheting through nearby vehicles... I'm not sure how much they are helping.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

If at close range trained firearms officers can get less than 50% of their shots on target and others ricocheting through nearby vehicles... I'm not sure how much they are helping.
    They may have been going for head shots and he may have been moving
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    How does Duchess Kate get pinged by the 'world beating app' and have to isolate but Prince Billy gets to go to Wembalee? Close family members?
  • pblakeney
    orraloon said:

How does Duchess Kate get pinged by the 'world beating app' and have to isolate but Prince Billy gets to go to Wembalee? Close family members?

Make up the rules to suit.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588
    pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

That's the rules for everyone. Only contacts of confirmed cases have to isolate, contacts of contacts don't so when I got pinged the other week the wife and daughter were still OK to carry on as normal
  • womack
    edited July 2021

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

That's very inconsiderate of him trying to move out of the way of the bullets whilst the police were trying to do their job!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

They were going for kill shots to the head. Was that the most sensible thing to do?
  • orraloon
    Had a conversation in t'pub after kickball (playing not watching) with mate who was then an armed response officer. This was July 2005, the time of those multiple London bombings. He wasn't Met but relayed the instructions given (nationally?) that the method was double shots to the head. Double as in fire twice then if required again...
  • TheBigBean
    Jean Charles de Menezes was shot 7 times in the head and once in the shoulder.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,588

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

They were going for kill shots to the head. Was that the most sensible thing to do?
    I'd have though so if there was a risk he had a suicide vest.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

Given the shooting accuracy - all of the head shots missed - he would have had ample time to deploy his suicide bomb. This is a guy who was previously restrained.
  • ballysmate

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

Given the shooting accuracy - all of the head shots missed - he would have had ample time to deploy his suicide bomb. This is a guy who was previously restrained.
    By all means question the accuracy of the firearms officers but surely you can see the recklessness or foolishness of restraining a person you believed to be a suicide bomber. Or allowing a member of the public to continue to do so?
    You wouldn't pick up a suspected bomb so why would you grab someone who you believe to be wearing one?
  • ballysmate
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

That's the rules for everyone. Only contacts of confirmed cases have to isolate, contacts of contacts don't so when I got pinged the other week the wife and daughter were still OK to carry on as normal
    Aww you had to go and use facts to piddle on the William Wallace of the forum's chips didn't you.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Aww you had to go and use facts to piddle on the William Wallace of the forum's chips didn't you.
    David Beckham. He's the super spreader. Has to be.
  • Pross said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

David Beckham. He's the super spreader. Has to be.
    I think that's what Posh Spice calls him.
  • orraloon

Pross said:

pblakeney said:

orraloon said:

Oh hello, Tory fanboi is back. How is Spaffer's d1ck tasting today?

Anyway. This was a genuine 'intrigue'. Came up in conversation today - a Scotsman, an Englishman and a German were in the woods working - and none of us knew da roolz. Whichever version of da roolz is current. And I don't eat chips much. So sorry.
  • pblakeney

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

By all means question the accuracy of the firearms officers but surely you can see the recklessness or foolishness of restraining a person you believed to be a suicide bomber. Or allowing a member of the public to continue to do so?
    You wouldn't pick up a suspected bomb so why would you grab someone who you believe to be wearing one?
    I'd have shot him in the head while he was restrained.
    But that's just me.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • womack

Jean Charles de Menezes was shot 7 times in the head and once in the shoulder.

Seems a bit harsh for overstaying your work permit.
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

I'd have shot him in the head while he was restrained.
    But that's just me.
    The police pulled the have a go man away and shot Khan twice. They thought he was dead.
    Eight minutes later, he unexpectedly sat up and the six(?) officers at the scene fired another 18 shots because they thought he was going to detonate a suicide bomb, which actually turned out to be fake, although there was no way of knowing this at the time.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,316
    Seems you guys are commending the officers for being better safe than sorry and unloading their guns at the chap. When actually this is a case study in not doing that, leaving him alive and giving him an opportunity to detonate a bomb, had there been one.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin
    The reporting actually says he "continued moving for 8 minutes" rather than playing dead for 8 minutes then suddenly sitting up. Weird course of events.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ballysmate
    pangolin said:

Seems you guys are commending the officers for being better safe than sorry and unloading their guns at the chap. When actually this is a case study in not doing that, leaving him alive and giving him an opportunity to detonate a bomb, had there been one.

Maybe an option if you are in the Nevada desert and can set up a cordon of a couple of hundred metre radius, but in the middle of a city?

ROFL.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

Maybe an option if you are in the Nevada desert and can set up a cordon of a couple of hundred metre radius, but in the middle of a city?

ROFL.
    You've misunderstood.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • ballysmate
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

ROFL.
    You've misunderstood.
    In what way? You suggested that giving him the opportunity to detonate his bomb was an option. I said that was nonsense.

• ballysmate
    pangolin said:

The reporting actually says he "continued moving for 8 minutes" rather than playing dead for 8 minutes then suddenly sitting up. Weird course of events.

Been back and read the report. His sitting up was apparently his first seemingly voluntary movement for 8 minutes. Prior to that he appeared to be in no way capable of action to detonate any device. The threat appeared to be neutralised. Any further shots could have been deemed excessive use of force as he was no longer a threat. The killing could then be found to be unlawful.
  • pangolin

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

ROFL.
    You've misunderstood.
    In what way? You suggested that giving him the opportunity to detonate his bomb was an option. I said that was nonsense.

I'm not saying they should have done that. I'm saying they did do that.

My point is that him being alive for another 8 minutes goes against the kudos the police were getting for shooting him 12 (?) times to really make sure of things.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono