Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Stevo_666 said:

Better safe than sorry.

If at close range trained firearms officers can get less than 50% of their shots on target and others ricocheting through nearby vehicles... I'm not sure how much they are helping.
    They may have been going for head shots and he may have been moving
    They were going for kill shots to the head. Was that the most sensible thing to do?
    I'd have though so if there was a risk he had a suicide vest.
    Given the shooting accuracy - all of the head shots missed - he would have had ample time to deploy his suicide bomb. This is a guy who was previously restrained.
    By all means question the accuracy of the firearms officers but surely you can see the recklessness or foolishness of restraining a person you believed to be a suicide bomber. Or allowing a member of the public to continue to do so?
    You wouldn't pick up a suspected bomb so why would you grab someone who you believe to be wearing one?
    I'd have shot him in the head while he was restrained.
    But that's just me.
    The police pulled the have a go man away and shot Khan twice. They thought he was dead.
    Eight minutes later, he unexpectedly sat up and the six(?) officers at the scene fired another 18 shots because they thought he was going to detonate a suicide bomb, which actually turned out to be fake, although there was no way of knowing this at the time.
    Double tap to the head, as per procedure?
    Hard bar steward.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pangolin said:

pangolin said:

pangolin said:

Seems you guys are commending the officers for being better safe than sorry and unloading their guns at the chap. When actually this is a case study in not doing that, leaving him alive and giving him an opportunity to detonate a bomb, had there been one.

Maybe an option if you are in the Nevada desert and can set up a cordon of a couple of hundred metre radius, but in the middle of a city?

ROFL.
    You've misunderstood.
    In what way? You suggested that giving him the opportunity to detonate his bomb was an option. I said that was nonsense.

I'm not saying they should have done that. I'm saying they did do that.

My point is that him being alive for another 8 minutes goes against the kudos the police were getting for shooting him 12 (?) times to really make sure of things.

Ah gotcha. My bad.

The police have to work within the law when it comes to the use of force. ie Sect 3 Criminal Law Act 1967. Common Law (the right to use force to defend yourself and another person), Article 2 EHRC and sect 117 PACE.
    The police would be entitled to use lethal force (used to be called Operation Kratos) when they were initially dealing with Khan, as they believed that he had an explosive device and the means and desire to detonate it.
    Once he had been shot and it appeared that he was either dead or unconscious and no longer able to detonate his device, the justification for lethal force no longer existed. Any further shots would have been unlawful and the police would have to try to explain to a judge why they continued to shoot someone they thought was no longer a threat.

The suspected bomb would still be a threat until it was deemed a non viable device or disarmed but the suspect's threat would have diminished if it was believed he was incapable of movement.

As soon as he showed the ability to move, the police were justified and indeed right to open fire again as he had once more become a threat.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    The absence of any correlation between your legs feeling good or bad and your cycling performance
  • ballysmate
    The art of metalwork when I an worse than useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51zN22KUYyY&ab_channel=DominicChinea
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

This should be in "Things that make you smile".
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    lesfirth said:

This should be in "Things that make you smile".
    Watch some of the 'This old Tony' channel.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMrlyEreba8

And if you want metal craft, you have all 34 episodes of Project Binky.

I'm restoring yet another old banger and i'm confident but the welding and metal work, I leave to the pro's.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Lancashire, which last I looked was a county, bidding to be a City of Culture??
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    Is the bike helmet/shoe brand Giro pronounced as per the stage race or the state benefits payment?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    Poland having to send 6 swimmers home from the Olympics because they miscounted the number they were allowed to send.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

Poland having to send 6 swimmers home from the Olympics because they miscounted the number they were allowed to send.

That would be gutting!
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Maybe they were trying to mitigate any potential C19 cases.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • ballysmate
    Perhaps it was for piddling in the pool and they give the excuse of miscounting to save blushes?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,689
    Here's one for the (not so much) kidz. Remember The Libertines? Remember frontman Pete Doherty?

Pic taken ootside the Bar-L in Glesca (no insinuations whatsoever) of the Pete and some pro wrestler whose name means nothing to me. Which is which?

• capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I've watched the last 20km and finishes of the men's and women's road races at the 2020 Olympics this weekend.

I wonder why the crowd is held at the 50m line and not allowed at the finish? It looked odd and didn't make a lot of sense. If they were going to be there at all, why not where they could see?

The older I get, the better I was.

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Did almost 1000 miles of driving last week up to and around Wales and the mind wanders on the motorway miles.

1) when a car breaks down and pulls over to the hard shoulder/layby its advised for occupants to leave the car right for safety? However, everyone that i saw by the side of the road appeared to be 10 metres or so up the road from the car. Now if a lorry say was to hit or clip the broken down car, it seems to me that those people are in a really dangerous place.

My mind also wandered as to why "how come we don't all speak French following the Norman invasion?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2021
    elbowloh said:

Did almost 1000 miles of driving last week up to and around Wales and the mind wanders on the motorway miles.

1) when a car breaks down and pulls over to the hard shoulder/layby its advised for occupants to leave the car right for safety? However, everyone that i saw by the side of the road appeared to be 10 metres or so up the road from the car. Now if a lorry say was to hit or clip the broken down car, it seems to me that those people are in a really dangerous place.

My mind also wandered as to why "how come we don't all speak French following the Norman invasion?

Nobles did for a bit, plebs not so much.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

Yep. Still a bit of Norman French in legal terminology, not to mention the words beef, mutton, bacon, surrender...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_English_words_of_French_origin

So we are to some extent.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    …and famously entrepreneur.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    I never realised (or even wondered about) the fact "peloton" is the French version of "platoon".
  • pblakeney
    Platoon is derived from peloton.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    Intrigued you too?
  • pblakeney
    edited July 2021

Intrigued you too?

Only once I'd seen your post.
    Can now add on realised, derived and intrigued.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • kingstongraham
    pblakeney said:

Intrigued you too?

Only once I'd seen your post.
    Can now add on realised, derived and intrigued.
    All makes sense. Not sure about the derivation of peloton from the old French meaning ball.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    Why I always get stung by wasps and bees when for everyone else it seems to be a once a lifetime event.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702

Why I always get stung by wasps and bees when for everyone else it seems to be a once a lifetime event.

I get a wasp sting a year or so on the bike - if you squeeze it fast enough you don't really feel it after.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I get a wasp sting a year or so on the bike - if you squeeze it fast enough you don't really feel it after.
    Got stung by a bee on the top lip whilst cycling past Buck house. It went after a day or two, then I had a reaction and swelled up to gigantic proportions, like I should be on that tv show where plastic surgeons correct horrendous cosmetic surgery.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    pblakeney said:

…and famously entrepreneur.

I'm outraged.

There's another French word... nothing to do with rage at all, it was outre (besides/beyond) + -age o turn it into a noun, and in French an outrage is an insult. The phenomenon of false splitting, in the English word, has given us the 'rage' sense.
  • ballysmate
    pblakeney said:

elbowloh said:

I think the big change came during the hundred years war. That's the time when documents started being written in English rather than French.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    edited July 2021
    Henry IV (1399-1413) is supposed to be the first monarch since Edward the Confessor and Harold Godwinson to speak English as a first language.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    Currently having a couple of nights away in Lynmouth. There are two chip shops in the village. When we went out just after 6pm to get fish and chips the one had a huge queue so we went to try the other only to find it closed.

Why would you not be open in peak season at the time of day when your product is most likely to be in demand? It wasn't related to staff isolation as far as I could tell as it had been open at lunchtime. Best part of two hours later there's still a huge queue at the one that's open.

Seems a bizarre way to run a business in a seasonal village and when they've had lockdowns to contend with.