Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Pross said:

Currently having a couple of nights away in Lynmouth. There are two chip shops in the village. When we went out just after 6pm to get fish and chips the one had a huge queue so we went to try the other only to find it closed.

Why would you not be open in peak season at the time of day when your product is most likely to be in demand? It wasn't related to staff isolation as far as I could tell as it had been open at lunchtime. Best part of two hours later there's still a huge queue at the one that's open.

Seems a bizarre way to run a business in a seasonal village and when they've had lockdowns to contend with.

Staff shortages....!!!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,574

Pross said:

Currently having a couple of nights away in Lynmouth. There are two chip shops in the village. When we went out just after 6pm to get fish and chips the one had a huge queue so we went to try the other only to find it closed.

Why would you not be open in peak season at the time of day when your product is most likely to be in demand? It wasn't related to staff isolation as far as I could tell as it had been open at lunchtime. Best part of two hours later there's still a huge queue at the one that's open.

Seems a bizarre way to run a business in a seasonal village and when they've had lockdowns to contend with.

Staff shortages....!!!
    It was open earlier in the day.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    rjsterry said:

Henry IV (1399-1413) is supposed to be the first monarch since Edward the Confessor and Harold Godwinson to speak English as a first language.

The three lions on the shirt should more accurately be 3 leopards.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    Was going to say that they were traditionally shut on a Monday as no Sunday catch but if it was open at lunch...🤔
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,355
    fenster
    fenêtre
    finestra
    fönster

...and us: Window.
    Norwegian - vindu.
    Danish: vindue

Curiously; Dutch - raam.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,920
    pinno said:

fenster
    fenêtre
    finestra
    fönster

Norwegian - vindu.

Curiously; Dutch - raam.

From the OED:

The Scandinavian borrowing superseded the earlier Old English ēagduru , lit. ‘eye-door’, and ēagþyrel , lit. ‘eyehole’ (see eyethirl n.). All three Germanic words probably originally denoted the opening in the gable of an early medieval wooden hall (compare eye n.1 9), which allowed smoke to escape and also admitted some daylight. Until the 16th cent., window also coexisted with fenester n., which is ultimately of Latin origin (having originally denoted an opening in the wall of a timber-framed or stone building of Mediterranean style); corresponding Latin borrowings have replaced the earlier words for ‘window’ in the other West Germanic languages and thence also in Swedish; compare also ( < early Scandinavian) Early Irish fuindeóc (see winnock n.) and ( < Latin) Welsh ffenestr (14th cent.).
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Pross said:

Staff shortages....!!!
    Staff may have been available in the daytime, but not in the evening as they have to look after children etc
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,685

rjsterry said:

Henry IV (1399-1413) is supposed to be the first monarch since Edward the Confessor and Harold Godwinson to speak English as a first language.

The three lions on the shirt should more accurately be 3 leopards.
    Can't remember if they are described as passant or guardant.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    This Marble Arch Mound thing. £6 to climb a heap of scaffolding draped with plywood and dying turf to get a view of a roundabout.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,325
    rjsterry said:

This Marble Arch Mound thing. £6 to climb a heap of scaffolding draped with plywood and dying turf to get a view of a roundabout.

Wow, that is funny. You even get to exit through a gift shop as is the way with all tourist attractions.
    "On their way down, visitors will descend into the heart of the Mound, a hollowed-out space that will be used as a café, shop and exhibition space."
  • rjsterry

Feels like there have been some significant compromises along the way.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• veronese68
    rjsterry said:

Wow! That really is quite a difference, although to be fair it seems more like what I'd expect. I was wondering if it was worth a ride by just to check it out, apparently not.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190

rjsterry said:

Wow! That really is quite a difference, although to be fair it seems more like what I'd expect. I was wondering if it was worth a ride by just to check it out, apparently not.
    Oh my! Never even heard of it (must be an outcome of bbc no longer being in London).

Seems an odd concept.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    That's remarkable. I didn't know anything about it either.
  • Pross
    pinno said:

fenster
    fenêtre
    finestra
    fönster

Norwegian - vindu.

Curiously; Dutch - raam.

On the language thing, something I learned at breakfast this morning is that the word yacht comes from the Dutch word jacht meaning speedy craft or hunter (there was a model of a jacht presented to Charles II by the Dutch, apparently he is said to have used it to create the first yacht racing).
  • veronese68

That's remarkable. I didn't know anything about it either.

Yes, news to me as well unitl I saw RJS' post, so it's not Morstar being an out of towner that he didn't hear. Did RJS hear about it through some architectural news possibly?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,637
    I'm intrigued why anyone would imagine there is a market in 3D printed crocs for about £1500.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/loreone-definitely-priciest-bike-shoe-youve-seen-285159
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

pinno said:

fenster
    fenêtre
    finestra
    fönster

Norwegian - vindu.

Curiously; Dutch - raam.

On the language thing, something I learned at breakfast this morning is that the word yacht comes from the Dutch word jacht meaning speedy craft or hunter (there was a model of a jacht presented to Charles II by the Dutch, apparently he is said to have used it to create the first yacht racing).
    Presumably related to the German jaeger.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno

rjsterry said:

Although, it will take time for the flora and fauna to establish itself.
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

It's just turf laid over plywood and trees in tubs. Nothing is going to establish itself, nor is it intended to. £2m, though.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

It's only there till the end of the year.
  • pinno
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

It's just turf laid over plywood and trees in tubs. Nothing is going to establish itself, nor is it intended to. £2m, though.
    Why such expense for something temporary?
    With the cost of ply nowadays, that must be... 10 sheets?
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

At £2m worth of scaffolding, it has Dido Harding’s name all over it.
  • rjsterry
    There is a vast amount of scaffolding inside it as well. I think it's what happens when the sales pitch is better than the product.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

pinno said:

fenster
    fenêtre
    finestra
    fönster

Norwegian - vindu.

Curiously; Dutch - raam.

Presumably related to the German jaeger.
    Maybe, that's what I was going to call my German Shepherd puppy originally.
  • Pross
    morstar said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

At £2m worth of scaffolding, it has Dido Harding’s name all over it.
    To be fair, with current inflation in construction £2 million feels about what you'd pay for a few weeks of scaffolding on your house!
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

pinno said:

rjsterry said:

Why such expense for something temporary?
    With the cost of ply nowadays, that must be... 10 sheets?
    Architect fees.
  • rjsterry
    edited July 2021
    😁 They're a pretty well respected firm. On a public project like that I seriously doubt it, though. For something that is all about the landscaping, there is just such a big gap between the original visuals and what has been built. I'm not sure making it a temporary structure has helped either. Mind you, the London Eye was supposed to be temporary.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    So was the Eiffel tower.
    But this 'heap' (literally and metaphorically) doesn't really match those temporary constructions.
    Does that the overpriced Dome still exist?
  • rjsterry
    pinno said:

So was the Eiffel tower.
    But this 'heap' (literally and metaphorically) doesn't really match those temporary constructions.
    Does that the overpriced Dome still exist?

Yes, it's been The O2 for years. The dome wasn't supposed to be temporary and was remarkably cheap for the size of it. It was all the designed-by-committee stuff inside that was expensive.
    Pinnacle Monzonite