Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,840
    shortfall said:

The incredible events unfolding at Holyrood and the complete absence of any discussion about in cakestop. Seismic stuff going on up there.

Isn't it just he said, she said at this point?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,655
    rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

The incredible events unfolding at Holyrood and the complete absence of any discussion about in cakestop. Seismic stuff going on up there.

A mess, but kind of expected from the Nats.
    No, not expected. But people who can be so single minded on one single policy and bend the truth to that end, well, they have form I suppose.

Brexiteers anyone? Would you want them governing.

Oh, wait...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    shortfall said:

Isn’t it just a bigger version of that dysfunctional zoom council meeting?

Responsibility without accountability.

Heaven forbid they win a referendum. They’ll have to stand for something then instead of against something.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,789
    The Brexiter attention Sturgeon gets I will never understand.

Maybe it's because she's the other side of the same coin.

What's the summary of the story, as all the reporting is beyond stating what has happened and is giving blow-by-blow, which doesn't make much sense.

• First.Aspect

What's the summary of the story, as all the reporting is beyond stating what has happened and is giving blow-by-blow, which doesn't make much sense.

Seems they wanted the old bull dog out of the way. Bull dog had not at that time been neutered.

Opportunity thus presented itself.

The SNP hastily wrote a disciplinary policy, briefed the women who were complaining, and then tried to convict bull dog.

They failed, basically because of witness tampering, and spent near enough a million doing so against legal advice (half went to Salmond so god only knows what they spent themselves).

The not completely independent judiciary then decided that wholesale redactions and witholding of documents was required for confidentiality reasons.

The SNP then resisted parliamentary pressure to disclose. While briefing freely against. Including statements such as, "well he was acquitted in a court of law, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it."

Sturgeon is being caught in a cover up on when she knew, what she knew and what she tried to do about it. The version they put in the glossy brochure about drawing a line under the past is under some strain.

Best outcome I can forsee is another minority SNP government, but without the hapless greens voting with them on independence. Labour in Scotland finally have an actual leader, rather than Mr. Burns from the Simpsons, so there is a window of opportunity to break the mania.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,290
    It's weird to hear her not called Jimmy Krankie or the parliament called a parish council.
  • First.Aspect

It's weird to hear her not called Jimmy Krankie or the parliament called a parish council.

That's half the problem. The MSPs are by and large lightweights but have a lot of power over the day to days. Including income tax, NHS, infrastructure spending etc.

Hence the SNP is "angry" because they'd asked Richi Sunak for 80 million recovery funds but only got their share (30 million).

Unbelievable.
  • kingstongraham
    What the hell a non-fungible token is.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN2AT1HG
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Holyrood can alter the tax level by up to + or - 3p in the pound if they want to raise money to finance their spending.
    Or they can demand more money from Westminster.

Strangely they have never used their tax raising powers.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,655

*awaits John or Stevo to start talking about job creation*

Imagine how many minions and henchmen they would need to recruit to run that boat. Could make up for all the City recruiting moving to the continent?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect

Holyrood can alter the tax level by up to + or - 3p in the pound if they want to raise money to finance their spending.
    Or they can demand more money from Westminster.

Strangely they have never used their tax raising pwers.

Wrong. They have already frozen the higher threshold and raised it to 41%.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,737
    edited March 2021

rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

No, not expected. But people who can be so single minded on one single policy and bend the truth to that end, well, they have form I suppose.

Oh, wait...
    Really? Even from down here the Nats have always looked like the kind to turn on their own at the drop of a hat. Name a bunch of nationalists that hasn't eventually eaten itself.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

Oh, wait...
    Really? Even from down here the Nats have always looked like the kind to turn on their own at the drop of a hat. Name a bunch of nationalists that hasn't eventually eaten itself.
    America. Oh, wait... 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

shortfall said:

Oh, wait...
    That's not how it plays up here unfortunately. They are like a religion. They can't govern for sh!t, but there is no opposition so they get a free pass on everything because Boris.

I mean, look at the pandemic response. Scotland has come out of this basically exactly like the rest of the UK, if you compare like with like. None of the tartan mask wearing "cautionsness" has counted for anything. It would be like Boris taking credit for low case numbers in Devon.

But Scottish McScottishface (the average proll voter up here) likes tartan, so hey, its England's fault for sending us the virus.

No, really, that argument's been run.
  • rick_chasey

Seems they wanted the old bull dog out of the way. Bull dog had not at that time been neutered.

Opportunity thus presented itself.

The SNP hastily wrote a disciplinary policy, briefed the women who were complaining, and then tried to convict bull dog.

They failed, basically because of witness tampering, and spent near enough a million doing so against legal advice (half went to Salmond so god only knows what they spent themselves).

The not completely independent judiciary then decided that wholesale redactions and witholding of documents was required for confidentiality reasons.

The SNP then resisted parliamentary pressure to disclose. While briefing freely against. Including statements such as, "well he was acquitted in a court of law, but that doesn't mean he didn't do it."

Sturgeon is being caught in a cover up on when she knew, what she knew and what she tried to do about it. The version they put in the glossy brochure about drawing a line under the past is under some strain.

Best outcome I can forsee is another minority SNP government, but without the hapless greens voting with them on independence. Labour in Scotland finally have an actual leader, rather than Mr. Burns from the Simpsons, so there is a window of opportunity to break the mania.
    God the whole thing is so budget.
  • First.Aspect
    It is a little bit like watching a debating club in school sometimes.

But they have far more power than arguably this calibre of person should have and they are far keener to wield it than is healthy.

Just look at the focus on the English border, rather than people flying in from Manaus.
  • kingstongraham

But they have far more power than arguably this calibre of person should have and they are far keener to wield it than is healthy.

Just look at the focus on the English border, rather than people flying in from Manaus.

Aren't they hotel quarantining people flying in from everywhere?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,938
    Are MSPs that much lower calibre than say... Marc ne pas Fracais?

• First.Aspect

They are now, yes. The point is that if you pretend that Boris is an idiot and you are wise and cautious and have your own independent advice and policy, it does need to be significantly different.

If the UK government is taking a beating for not closing the borders before now, why isn't the SNP?

Apparently they had the power to do so all along - they beefed up policing on the English border in December, but not between the hotspot that is Glasgow and the rest of Scotland, nor were there special measures put in for foreign travel late last year.

How come?

They are populists and that is all. Panning England plays well, stopping a tattooed Glaswegian getting sunburned in Greece doesn't.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    edited March 2021

Personalities and parties aside, the SP structure and procedure appears (to a very long exiled Scot) to be far superior to Westminster.
  • First.Aspect
    Mad_Malx said:

Personalities and parties aside, the SP structure and procedure appears (to a very long exiled Scot) to be far superior to Westminster.

I agree re proportional representation - it it is a shjtshow now, but imagine how bad it would be under fptp.

In what other way is it better? (Honestly I don't see much difference, other than the decor).
  • rick_chasey

Mad_Malx said:

I agree re proportional representation - it it is a shjtshow now, but imagine how bad it would be under fptp.

In what other way is it better? (Honestly I don't see much difference, other than the decor).
    Not so dominated by people with childhood issues after being sent away as children to school.
  • pblakeney
    If this is going to run on then I’d suggest a separate thread.
    “Separate”. Get it? I’ll get me coat.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Mad_Malx
    From my very limited observation - tech equipped chamber & layout that reduces the tribal mob yah-boo shitshow in debates.
  • First.Aspect

Mad_Malx said:

Not so dominated by people with childhood issues after being sent away as children to school.
    Replaced by shouty people with a chip on their shoulder because they didn't get to go to a posh school.
  • kingstongraham

They are now, yes. The point is that if you pretend that Boris is an idiot and you are wise and cautious and have your own independent advice and policy, it does need to be significantly different.

If the UK government is taking a beating for not closing the borders before now, why isn't the SNP?

Apparently they had the power to do so all along - they beefed up policing on the English border in December, but not between the hotspot that is Glasgow and the rest of Scotland, nor were there special measures put in for foreign travel late last year.

How come?

They are populists and that is all. Panning England plays well, stopping a tattooed Glaswegian getting sunburned in Greece doesn't.
    I thought there were rules about not travelling out of the high level areas at the end of last year.

I'm not defending them because I don't really pay enough attention, but if the reasoning for stopping travel is the emergence of new variants, then doing it properly when it is needed is the right thing, isn't it? Doing it in a half hearted way is just kicking it down the road to be a bigger problem.

Devi Sridhar was definitely advocating last summer for more restrictions on international travel, and obviously was not listened to then.
  • Mad_Malx
    Surprised that got through the censor
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2021

Mad_Malx said:

Replaced by shouty people with a chip on their shoulder because they didn't get to go to a posh school.
    God the UK would be a better place if they binned the parallel private school sector.

If I was PM with a big mandate I would blow my entire political capital on two things. That and PR.

• First.Aspect

How come?

I thought there were rules about not travelling out of the high level areas at the end of last year.

I'm not defending them because I don't really pay enough attention, but if the reasoning for stopping travel is the emergence of new variants, then doing it properly when it is needed is the right thing, isn't it? Doing it in a half hearted way is just kicking it down the road to be a bigger problem.

Devi Sridhar was definitely advocating last summer for more restrictions on international travel, and obviously was not listened to then.
    Exactly. So the SNP is effectively just as incompetent as Boris.

And as an English person I found the emphasis on that border but not on the rest of the flagrant lockdown breaking quite offensive.

Also probably cost lives, because there is a lot of nothing either side of the border whereas Glasgow had one of the highest case rates in the whole UK. So they should have been policing the M8, not the M74, if the greater good entered into it.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,410

God the UK would be a better place if they binned the parallel private school sector.

We need high achievers.
    We don't need glass ceilings because you didn't have a private education.
    Mainstream panders to a lower common denominator and education is constantly being used as a political football as is the NHS.

Square that circle.

Personally, education and the NHS needs to be run by independent committee, with all interests represented.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!