Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    secretsam said:

The media keep referring to Barts as St Bartholomews, it took me a double take to figure out what they meant. I have walked past their literally hundreds of times and if asked would have said it is called Barts I can not remember seeing a sign with the full name on it

Within Barts' Trust, it's referred to as "SBH", in the industry it's "Barts". I've literally never heard anyone call it "St Bartholemew's" - like the OP, when I heard it on the radio, I was like "Where?"

Before anyone asks: nearly 30 years' experience in UK and international healthcare, including numerous projects with Barts and its local NHS commissioners. So there.
    Can you tell Boris to tell Nicola to get me the bloody Covid vaccine. I have underlying health conditions. Ta.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,628
    pinno said:

rjsterry said:

This.

https://openai.com/blog/multimodal-neurons/

Tl;dr
    AI image recognition can be fooled by applying handwritten labels to objects. The AI then identifies the object as the label.

This site can’t be reached
    Check if there is a typo in openai.com.

Try:
    Running Windows Network Diagnostics
    Changing DNS over HTTPS settings
    DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
    Check your DNS over HTTPS settings
    Go to Opera > Preferences… > System > Use DNS-over-HTTPS instead of the system’s DNS settings and check your DNS-over-HTTPS provider.

openai.com
    Works fine for me. Was a copy and paste so no retyping.

https://openai.com/blog/multimodal-neurons/
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    secretsam said:

The media keep referring to Barts as St Bartholomews, it took me a double take to figure out what they meant. I have walked past their literally hundreds of times and if asked would have said it is called Barts I can not remember seeing a sign with the full name on it

Within Barts' Trust, it's referred to as "SBH", in the industry it's "Barts". I've literally never heard anyone call it "St Bartholemew's" - like the OP, when I heard it on the radio, I was like "Where?"

Before anyone asks: nearly 30 years' experience in UK and international healthcare, including numerous projects with Barts and its local NHS commissioners. So there.
    Not denying that people call it Barts, just explaining where that comes from. There are two churches attached to the hospital buildings (which are also really old), both dedicated to St Bartholomew.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I used to work around Smithfield 20-odd years ago. You guys are making me feel nostalgic.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    Harry182 said:

I used to work around Smithfield 20-odd years ago. You guys are making me feel nostalgic.

you would not recognise it now
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    edited March 2021
    Prince Charles has penned an article for Waitrose's weekly newspaper claiming the 'fundamental value of nature is increasingly at stake' as he praised the John Lewis Partnership for becoming the first retailer to sign up to his ambitious Terra Carta.

Writing in the supermarket's free Waitrose Weekend publication, the Prince of Wales, 72, said the world is 'at a tipping point' as it faces 'the triple threat of climate change, catastrophic biodiversity loss and now coronavirus'.

He addressed the 'fierce and urgent need' to secure a sustainable future, which is why he launched his Terra Carta.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/prince-charles-pens-an-article-for-waitrose-weekend/ar-BB1egXK4?li=BBnb2gh

What we should do.

Prince Charles Flew 16,000 Miles In Just 11 Days Using Three Private Jets And One Helicopter Before Proudly Posing With Greta Thunberg In Davos
    What he does.

Flying around the World by helicopter and private jet is fine, but please don't pontificate about the environment whilst doing it.

• shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited March 2021
    How else does he raise the profile of his causes and do the rest of his job? Walk between countries / fly economy?

I get it's not ideal but people need to not be so ****ing pathetic and understand the sentiment - and I am as disobedient as it comes, and anti royalist. But people who criticize with a 'youre a hyprocrit' chat when they're clearly trying to do good can go play in traffic.
  • focuszing723

How else does he raise the profile of his causes and do the rest of his job? Walk between countries / fly economy?

I get it's not ideal but people need to not be so ****ing pathetic and understand the sentiment - and I am as disobedient as it comes, and anti royalist. But people who criticize with a 'youre a hyprocrit' chat when they're clearly trying to do good can go play in traffic.

It's simple. Don't make that your agenda as a future King when you are frequently sat on a private jet or helicopter with a couple of other people.
  • rjsterry
    Is there anything more tedious than the hypocrisy police?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Future king? Hasn't Spaffer got his beady littles on that next?
  • focuszing723
    I don't really care about the hypocrisy. It's more a follow on from posts earlier on in the thread to someone saying 'what's the point of the Royal family'. My point is Prince Charles would do well to follow in the Queens footsteps.
  • orraloon
    Other than being a nexus for the layers of societal entitlement, what is the point of the royal family?

Full disclosure: Viva la revolución
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    orraloon said:

Other than being a nexus for the layers of societal entitlement, what is the point of the royal family?

Full disclosure: Viva la revolución

Marketing?
  • pinno
    ...and tourism.

They do generate a lot of money. Overall, in 2018, the British royals contributed £595m via tourism, merchandise and the arts, while costing £165m.

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/they-cost-us-a-mint-but-bring-in-much-more/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    edited March 2021
    He could always persuade his nonce brother to help the investigation into Epstein.

Royals seem to get a pass for being chill about having a nonce in the family.

It’s not like they made any efforts to change his behaviour.

But yeah Megan is the problem.
  • focuszing723
    Fair.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    I don't think the Palace briefing against meghan helps disprove her saying the Palace briefs against her.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

I don't think the Palace briefing against meghan helps disprove her saying the Palace briefs against her.

Yeah there seems to be a lot of sinister things happening at court. They should just stop meddling.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    pinno said:

...and tourism.

They do generate a lot of money. Overall, in 2018, the British royals contributed £595m via tourism, merchandise and the arts, while costing £165m.

How much of that money would still come in if they weren't in the same position? The castles, palaces and all that wouldn't get demolished, the history is still there. Although I don't think there will be any statues of Andrew. If the family were like other old noble families the castles might have to open more to raise funds which could bring more tourism.
  • pinno

pinno said:

...and tourism.

How much of that money would still come in if they weren't in the same position? The castles, palaces and all that wouldn't get demolished, the history is still there. Although I don't think there will be any statues of Andrew. If the family were like other old noble families the castles might have to open more to raise funds which could bring more tourism.
    I see your point. The point I was simply making is that they make much more money than they cost.
    I'm not a royalist by any stretch of the imagination.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    pinno said:

pinno said:

...and tourism.

I see your point. The point I was simply making is that they make much more money than they cost.
    I'm not a royalist by any stretch of the imagination.
    Didn't think you were a royalist, I'm not particularly anti them, I'm pretty ambivalent and don't get the fascination myself.
  • orraloon
    So every Japanese tourist who visits (remember those days?) the dUK is here because of Royals? Innit. Aye. Right.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    orraloon said:

So every Japanese tourist who visits (remember those days?) the dUK is here because of Royals? Innit. Aye. Right.

Golf. Don't forget the golf.

And the Hogworts Express.
  • pinno
    edited March 2021
    orraloon said:

Rondon, Riverpoor and Reeds. Super tourist spots. Take many pictures 'Roon san.

I'll get my coat.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    Why have washing powder / liquid manufacturers spent years making their products look like something little kids would like to eat and then had to create ever more elaborate child proof packing to keep them out?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    edited March 2021
  • rjsterry
    That so many people who claim to be uninterested in the Royals, also feel compelled to post on the matter here.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pinno
    If there's one good thing to come put of all this, it's sh*tface P Morgan walking out of GM Britain.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

pinno said:

...and tourism.

They would not get demolished tomorrow however give us some historic buildings that no one lives in for 200 years and what's your argument for keeping them then as they will cost a fortune to upkeep. I think the draw of the assets is diminished when you get rid of the royals. Not that I care either way.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    No doubt the buildings would appear on some list as having links to racism and/or slavery and it would become unfashionable to keep them going?