Seemingly trivial things that intrigue you

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

Mad_Malx said:

It is a little bit like watching a debating club in school sometimes.

Personalities and parties aside, the SP structure and procedure appears (to a very long exiled Scot) to be far superior to Westminster.

I agree re proportional representation - it it is a shjtshow now, but imagine how bad it would be under fptp.

In what other way is it better? (Honestly I don't see much difference, other than the decor).
    Not so dominated by people with childhood issues after being sent away as children to school.
    Replaced by shouty people with a chip on their shoulder because they didn't get to go to a posh school.
    God the UK would be a better place if they binned the parallel private school sector.

If I was PM with a big mandate I would blow my entire political capital on two things. That and PR.

That would be the ultimate dumbing down, why wouldn’t you sink your political capital in levelling up?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    edited March 2021

Mad_Malx said:

Personalities and parties aside, the SP structure and procedure appears (to a very long exiled Scot) to be far superior to Westminster.

I agree re proportional representation - it it is a shjtshow now, but imagine how bad it would be under fptp.

In what other way is it better? (Honestly I don't see much difference, other than the decor).
    Not so dominated by people with childhood issues after being sent away as children to school.
    Replaced by shouty people with a chip on their shoulder because they didn't get to go to a posh school.
    God the UK would be a better place if they binned the parallel private school sector.

If I was PM with a big mandate I would blow my entire political capital on two things. That and PR.

That would be the ultimate dumbing down, why wouldn’t you sink your political capital in levelling up?
    Yep - that would pander to the middle classes. Education, education, education. Except pushing so many more thousands through University diluted the value of a degree and heralded the proliferation of Mickey Mouse degrees.
    And that was what Blair was doing - getting the middle class vote.

I knew a fellow student doing Geology and sports science?! I asked (a bit jokingly and a lot sarcastically) what that was all about and he said "running up hills to look at rocks".
    Funny but it underlined the meaninglessness of it.

I thought that faith specific schools would be RC's bug bear.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Mad_Malx said:

In some ways maybe, but it turns out, for example, that when one party gets a majority - the assumption from the start was that with PR no-one would - there is very little accountability or separation of powers. The Lord Advocate (chief law officer and member of the government) was able not just to stonewall the parliamentary committee looking into the Salmond thing, but to threaten them by pointing out that they were "punishable" if they didn't follow his rules.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I wanted to buy a single £8 item on eBay. I didn't have an account, so signed up and put the item in my cart, checked out and tried to pay by PayPal.

It doesn't work and I immediately get an email to say my account was permanently suspended as my activity put their entire business at risk. I go on the live chat to speak to their customer service team, explain what happened, they look into and say yep I got banned, as I'm a threat to their community and sorry they can't help me any further.

So I'm permanently banned from eBay because I tried to buy something.

Seems to be a weird business model, but they seem to do ok.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    elbowloh said:

I wanted to buy a single £8 item on eBay. I didn't have an account, so signed up and put the item in my cart, checked out and tried to pay by PayPal.

It doesn't work and I immediately get an email to say my account was permanently suspended as my activity put their entire business at risk. I go on the live chat to speak to their customer service team, explain what happened, they look into and say yep I got banned, as I'm a threat to their community and sorry they can't help me any further.

Very odd.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    The power... 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,916
    elbowloh said:

That seems cheap for Semtex.
  • I was wondering why my hair finds a way to always blow into my mouth when I’m cycling, no matter how hard I try to tie it back ... it always escapes! 😅
    Big Fish folding bike
    Cinelli HoBootleg
    Genesis Volant
    Genesis Core 20
    Raleigh Edale (Commuter)
  • elbowloh
    It was just some little plastic clips that you hang the parcel shelf from in the car. That's all.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    Go faster. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

Go faster. 😉

It’s like the same effect you get in an open top car - it goes fast - hair still blows in yer face 😂

Big Fish folding bike
    Cinelli HoBootleg
    Genesis Volant
    Genesis Core 20
    Raleigh Edale (Commuter)
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Go faster. 😉

It’s like the same effect you get in an open top car - it goes fast - hair still blows in yer face 😂

Remove your windscreen. 😉
    I clearly have no experience. 😂
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh

I was wondering why my hair finds a way to always blow into my mouth when I’m cycling, no matter how hard I try to tie it back ... it always escapes! 😅

Ok Donald...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Go faster. 😉

Remove your windscreen. 😉
    I clearly have no experience. 😂
    Haha! It’s been years since I been in one - I just remember what it was like

Big Fish folding bike
    Cinelli HoBootleg
    Genesis Volant
    Genesis Core 20
    Raleigh Edale (Commuter)
  • :D it’s Donaldina actually

It’s a slow day
    Big Fish folding bike
    Cinelli HoBootleg
    Genesis Volant
    Genesis Core 20
    Raleigh Edale (Commuter)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Clippers on No. 2

Works for me.
  • pinno

Clippers on No. 2

Works for me.

Err...
  • pinno said:

Clippers on No. 2

Works for me.

Err...
    I’ve been growing it since first lockdown, so, no! 😉

Big Fish folding bike
    Cinelli HoBootleg
    Genesis Volant
    Genesis Core 20
    Raleigh Edale (Commuter)
  • elbowloh said:

I was wondering why my hair finds a way to always blow into my mouth when I’m cycling, no matter how hard I try to tie it back ... it always escapes! 😅

Ok Donald...
    Just had a thought - I wonder if The Donald’s bike of choice would be an Orange 😆
    Big Fish folding bike
    Cinelli HoBootleg
    Genesis Volant
    Genesis Core 20
    Raleigh Edale (Commuter)
  • pinno said:

Clippers on No. 2

Works for me.

Err...

... and that’s just the hair on my legs! 😂

Big Fish folding bike
    Cinelli HoBootleg
    Genesis Volant
    Genesis Core 20
    Raleigh Edale (Commuter)
  • elbowloh

pinno said:

Clippers on No. 2

Works for me.

Err...

Same. Hasn't been cut since Feb 2020. Although I would like it cut .
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • ⬆️ Perhaps Bompington can help you out there ...
    Big Fish folding bike
    Cinelli HoBootleg
    Genesis Volant
    Genesis Core 20
    Raleigh Edale (Commuter)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553

But they have far more power than arguably this calibre of person should have and they are far keener to wield it than is healthy.

Just look at the focus on the English border, rather than people flying in from Manaus.

Aren't they hotel quarantining people flying in from everywhere?
    They are now, yes. The point is that if you pretend that Boris is an idiot and you are wise and cautious and have your own independent advice and policy, it does need to be significantly different.

If the UK government is taking a beating for not closing the borders before now, why isn't the SNP?

Apparently they had the power to do so all along - they beefed up policing on the English border in December, but not between the hotspot that is Glasgow and the rest of Scotland, nor were there special measures put in for foreign travel late last year.

How come?

They are populists and that is all. Panning England plays well, stopping a tattooed Glaswegian getting sunburned in Greece doesn't.
    That's hardly a pretence!

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,917
    People giving a duck about the Royal family.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    Jezyboy said:

People giving a duck about the Royal family.

I like the Queen, Duchess of Cambridge and Princess Ann. The Queen stays out of all the politics and only gets stuck in when really required, akin to what she said to encourage people to have the Vaccines. Princess Ann just get on with it too. The Duchess of Cambridge seems to be the same. I don't mind Prince Phillip either, at least he seems a laugh.

Prince Charles bangs on about the environment whilst being flown around in a private helicopter or jet and Prince William is similar, not quite so bad though. That's probably my only criticism of them and they do their fair share of public engagements.

Prince Harry bangs on about 'Media' intrusion then is on the blower to Oprah.

The only thing I would say is that the Royal family are good for tourism and I know the history is there as well (so are they required), but I still think it helps that they are around.
  • pblakeney

Probably more to do with 'er indoors.
    Never seen a man with as much power and influence so whipped.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    It's called "controlling the narrative" and is a well known PR strategy. People are too stupid to understand.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,202
    pblakeney said:

Probably more to do with 'er indoors.
    Never seen a man with as much power and influence so whipped.
    Yeah true, but he goes along with it so he has to shoulder the criticism too. Prince Charles has to be careful when he's King. He would be wise to follow in the Queens footsteps and only get stuck in when it's critical that he does. Play the Monarchy tourism role and he can't go far wrong.
  • pblakeney

It's called "controlling the narrative" and is a well known PR strategy. People are too stupid to understand.

Oh, we understand. We just don't trust the narrative or the narrator.
    Who in history has no friends invited to their own wedding? Tells me something.
    Veronese68 wrote: