Garmin edge 530 and 830 announced

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,255
    Bigger screen together with bigger battery life is definitively a plus. 20 hours, if real, is "life changing" for me... it means I can do a full day of riding without carrying a power source.

If it proves stable, I might finally get a modern Garmin
    left the forum March 2023
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Well after several bad experiences with Garmin edge units I made the switch to wahoo and vowed not to go back, however, I am really intrigued by the 530, and dcr review is very positive about it.

I guess it will be a few months for the inevitable bugs to be ironed out but will be interesting to see if it is as good as dcr says.

Will also be very interesting to see if wahoo and other rivals react and launch their own new ranges.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    the 530 looks like a winner. 20 hour battery life, better mapping capabilities and bigger screen whilst keeping the physical buttons is a yes for me. I will be replacing my 520 sometime in the near future.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Yup. Reckon I'll be getting a 530 soon. The new climbing function looks useful for me too...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    redvision wrote:
    Well after several bad experiences with Garmin edge units I made the switch to wahoo and vowed not to go back, however, I am really intrigued by the 530, and dcr review is very positive about it.

I guess it will be a few months for the inevitable bugs to be ironed out but will be interesting to see if it is as good as dcr says.

Will also be very interesting to see if wahoo and other rivals react and launch their own new ranges.

Same here. The Wahoo has been faultless, but this seems to be Garmin recognising that they are under threat as the market leader and with their purchase of TACX, hopefully the bugs of previous Edge units, can be dealt with with far more action during testing, rather than waiting for end users to find them and then sit on their backsides to see if it goes away on its own. I'm tempted though for some of the new features.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I'd wait for Wahoo's next move before going back to Garmin, they must be due some new units soon.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    They don't look like they've tried to do too much - just made them better in the ways that make a difference. Hopefully that should mean there's fewer bugs?

Improved power to make route planning faster would fix about the only bugbear I've had with the 820 (but not enough to make me upgrade).
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    a simple cpu and internal hardware that isn't circa 2008 is what probably makes these decent. the units look like they have more modern hardware across the board that is going to be much more usable and quicker to react. just probably a decent chipset that offers what we want...

530 with real usable maps is a boon and when climbing alpine cols the climbing stuff looks really useful.

these take the cake from wahoo if the battery life is as it says, (but then again it probably won't be).
  • alanyu
    alanyu Posts: 73
    530 seems to be nice.

<I'll wait for wahoo finally to make my decision.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    gabriel959 wrote:
    the 530 looks like a winner. 20 hour battery life, better mapping capabilities and bigger screen whilst keeping the physical buttons is a yes for me. I will be replacing my 520 sometime in the near future.

Looks like a yes from me too.

I'm still using 810 and has nowhere near the features on the new one. Like the idea of more training metrics, Climbpro thing and bike alarm. Also reading DC Rainmakers review and comments, screen has plenty of contrast for sunny days too.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    There are a lot of wins here and I'm tempted to get a 530. Biggest improvement is in the performance. Garmin have stated a 2x performance improvement but if you look at the stats from the CIQ benchmark App, that 2x is against the 1030 not the 520/820. The performance benefit against the 520/820 is around 8x-10x, Amazing improvement.
  • The 530 does look good. Not sure I could cope with the button placement though, I love the front buttons on the Bolt. Am I right in thinking Wahoo could easily push out something similar to the climbing feature via a software update?
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The 530 does look good. Not sure I could cope with the button placement though, I love the front buttons on the Bolt. Am I right in thinking Wahoo could easily push out something similar to the climbing feature via a software update?
    You're correct if you remove the word 'easily'. Certainly possible but it will take time. I'm guessing the Wahoo's already have an elevation profile screen similar to that on the garmins of old?

530 looks decent for the money - a clear step up from the old models - although feels like it renders the 830 increasingly pointless - extra £100 doesn't add a lot.

I'm almost relieved, having picked up the 520 last autumn I was feeling a bit cutting edge....

And is the new 530 perhaps a little chunky? Seems like it's a bit bigger than the old 520/820 form factor? Unfortunately DC Rainmaker hasn't done one of his usual side by side comparison shots.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    TimothyW wrote:
    The 530 does look good. Not sure I could cope with the button placement though, I love the front buttons on the Bolt. Am I right in thinking Wahoo could easily push out something similar to the climbing feature via a software update?
    You're correct if you remove the word 'easily'. Certainly possible but it will take time. I'm guessing the Wahoo's already have an elevation profile screen similar to that on the garmins of old?

530 looks decent for the money - a clear step up from the old models - although feels like it renders the 830 increasingly pointless - extra £100 doesn't add a lot.

I'm almost relieved, having picked up the 520 last autumn I was feeling a bit cutting edge....

And is the new 530 perhaps a little chunky? Seems like it's a bit bigger than the old 520/820 form factor? Unfortunately DC Rainmaker hasn't done one of his usual side by side comparison shots.

He has in the comments section beneath his review
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I CBA to wade through all the stuff I don't need to find out if the 530 will do the one thing I want. Will it give reliable turn by turn directions when following a course created in RWGPS using the OSM maps?

Because my Touring Plus will only occasionally oblige. Most of the time it gives up on TBT part way into the ride. The route's still there and I see scraps of info from the cue sheet, but the advanced warning bleeps, zooming in to junctions, and giving me direction arrows all disappear.

I've done factory resets and configured the thing as RWGPS recommends, but still it's not reliable

I get the feeling it happens when the device doesn't recognise that I've made the turn it just announced, despite the map view showing that I have.

Is the 530 going to give me reliable TBT instructions??
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    keef66 wrote:
    I CBA to wade through all the stuff I don't need to find out if the 530 will do the one thing I want. Will it give reliable turn by turn directions when following a course created in RWGPS using the OSM maps?

Because my Touring Plus will only occasionally oblige. Most of the time it gives up on TBT part way into the ride. The route's still there and I see scraps of info from the cue sheet, but the advanced warning bleeps, zooming in to junctions, and giving me direction arrows all disappear.

I've done factory resets and configured the thing as RWGPS recommends, but still it's not reliable

I get the feeling it happens when the device doesn't recognise that I've made the turn it just announced, despite the map view showing that I have.

I CBA telling you.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Very tempted to dump my 820 and get the 530, which looks like the one to meet all my needs. Just need to try and justify to myself dropping a load of cash on it.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    keef66 wrote:

there is a whole section on navigation, you don't have to wade through anything you can jump straight to it using the navigation (fittingly enough) on the left.

read it for yourself
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well his review suggests it will do TBT when following a course uploaded to the device, which sounds promising.

But Garmin claimed that for the Touring which is why I bought it.
    Annoyingly it works 100% if it's following a ride I've previously ridden, recorded and saved as a course. But that's only useful if I lend the thing to somebody else so they can ride the same route. If I've ridden it once I can generally remember a route.
    Crucially it's no use for actually touring / exploring a new area; I need to create a route ahead of time, send it to the device, then be able to follow it. The issue seems to be some kind of discrepancy between the courses created using OSM in RWGPS, Strava or even Garmin Connect, and what's going on with the Garmin.

I was really wanting to know if they have acknowledged something was wrong / missing / dysfunctional, and fixed it. £250 is a lot to me, and I'd feel like I'd been stitched up twice if I bought one and found it still has issues.

Think I'll wait for a few more hands-on reviews / feedback from the early adopters with deeper pockets than me.

And to see what if anything Wahoo do with their offerings
  • meursault
    keef66 wrote:
    Well his review suggests it will do TBT when following a course uploaded to the device, which sounds promising.

Annoyingly it works 100% if it's following a ride I've previously ridden, recorded and saved as a course. But that's only useful if I lend the thing to somebody else so they can ride the same route. If I've ridden it once I can generally remember a route.
    Crucially it's no use for actually touring / exploring a new area; I need to create a route ahead of time, send it to the device, then be able to follow it. The issue seems to be some kind of discrepancy between the courses created using OSM in RWGPS, Strava or even Garmin Connect, and what's going on with the Garmin.

I was really wanting to know if they have acknowledged something was wrong / missing / dysfunctional, and fixed it. £250 is a lot to me, and I'd feel like I'd been stitched up twice if I bought one and found it still has issues.

Think I'll wait for a few more hands-on reviews / feedback from the early adopters with deeper pockets than me.

I'm guessing it's more a map data thing than Garmin. On my 810 it sometimes prompts me to turn when it's just a curve in the road. But that doesn't explain why it works for you, once you have ridden a course.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    Question for any LBS owners or staff.

I'm a believer in giving business to my LBS whenever possible, but how much difference would it be roughly, between say Wiggle price 530 £270 and a LBS?

Voltaire
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Garmin 530 retail is £259 for the base unit which is what Wiggle are selling it at

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-53 ... -computer/

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/621224
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • meursault
    oldbazza wrote:
    Garmin 530 retail is £259 for the base unit which is what Wiggle are selling it at

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-53 ... -computer/

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/621224

Sorry, yeah meant £260. But LBS price?

Voltaire
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    keef66 wrote:

Did Garmin claim it worked flawlessly with OSM? I doubt it.
    Try creating a route with Garmin Connect, upload and ride. Works flawlessly on a 520, with TBT.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    meursault wrote:

I'm a believer in giving business to my LBS whenever possible, but how much difference would it be roughly, between say Wiggle price 530 £270 and a LBS?
    Pretty sure it should be the same.

Madison are the UK distributor for Garmin, you can order to an LBS via their freewheel.co.uk website, or just go into your lbs - they will all have Madison accounts.
  • meursault
    PBlakeney wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Try creating a route with Garmin Connect, upload and ride. Works flawlessly on a 520, with TBT.

In the DC Rainmaker review, he says Garmin map and OSM map are one and the same.

Voltaire
  • meursault
    TimothyW wrote:
    meursault wrote:

Pretty sure it should be the same.

Madison are the UK distributor for Garmin, you can order to an LBS via their freewheel.co.uk website, or just go into your lbs - they will all have Madison accounts.

Nice one ty, will do.

Voltaire
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    meursault wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

In the DC Rainmaker review, he says Garmin map and OSM map are one and the same.
    Fair enough. I am still guessing workflow as the main culprit.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • CRAIGO5000
    CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
    Well I’m still using an edge 800 and it’s absolutely flawless. Had it for nearly 10 years I reckon haha. It’s due a refresh since it got a crack in it when a driver drove through me on a roundabout sending me to hospital and the bike to the carbon graveyard in the sky.

I was about a week off buying a bolt but now this has put the cat amongst the pigeons?

I own a kickr and power meters and use Zwift but wonder how much gain I’d get from buying a wahoo head unit.

ClimbPro function looks ace. My only gripe for any headunit it for it to know when I’m riding a climb with a club for instance. It’s not going to know the profile ahead unless I’ve loaded up a route.

It’d be great if climbpro could kick in if I approach a climb that perhaps I just star on Strava for instance?

I could perhaps preselect or batch select all climbs on Strava in my area and then be a master of knowing how to pace them when on a club ride.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    Well I’m still using an edge 800 and it’s absolutely flawless. Had it for nearly 10 years I reckon haha. It’s due a refresh since it got a crack in it when a driver drove through me on a roundabout sending me to hospital and the bike to the carbon graveyard in the sky.

I was about a week off buying a bolt but now this has put the cat amongst the pigeons?

I own a kickr and power meters and use Zwift but wonder how much gain I’d get from buying a wahoo head unit.

ClimbPro function looks ace. My only gripe for any headunit it for it to know when I’m riding a climb with a club for instance. It’s not going to know the profile ahead unless I’ve loaded up a route.

It’d be great if climbpro could kick in if I approach a climb that perhaps I just star on Strava for instance?

I could perhaps preselect or batch select all climbs on Strava in my area and then be a master of knowing how to pace them when on a club ride.

If you've a Kickr and like to use your head unit, you need the Wahoo. Elite and TACX owners on the other hand need a Garmin head unit if they want to use it on the turbo. The Wahoo unit reads outrageously exaggerated speeds/power when used with Elite and TACX turbos. I've a Neo and one reason why I'm considering chancing a return to Garmin if the reviews of the 530 continue to be good.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.