2020 transfers

gweeds
gweeds Posts: 2,602
edited October 2019 in Pro race
And so it begins

According to Cyclingnews sources, Vincenzo Nibali will move to Trek for 2020 with his brother Antonio Nibali and coach Paolo Slongo. Nibali and his current team Bahrain Merida have tried to reach agreement on a contract extension without success.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/transfe ... reak-down/
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
«13456716

Comments

  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,219
    I wonder which classics star Brailsford is currently waving wads of cash at. Ineos are investing £3 billion in a plant in Antwerp and they'll expect better performances than the current group are providing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,619
    The obvious one to pick up would be MvdP, non?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,766
    Wonder if Alaphilippe would be approached, and\or consider a move.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Heard it rumoured from a chap with Belgian connections that Ineos will be after MvdP and will let both him and Pidcock ride CX. Could be true, sounds far fetched
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,145
    MvdP to Ineos seems unlikely but stranger things have happened. Letting him carry on with his off road disciplines seems an about turn for them. They'd have to offer him mega money mind you....he's already on a nice contract, and is basically the face of Canyon bikes....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    AndyRAC wrote:
    MvdP to Ineos seems unlikely but stranger things have happened. Letting him carry on with his off road disciplines seems an about turn for them. They'd have to offer him mega money mind you....he's already on a nice contract, and is basically the face of Canyon bikes....

    That was exactly my response. Man's got eyes on Tokyo MTB race as well so it hardly fits as a move, he'd be better off staying put for another year where he can pick and choose at will and rake it in from Canyon who, understandably, are big fans
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,219
    ShutupJens wrote:
    AndyRAC wrote:
    MvdP to Ineos seems unlikely but stranger things have happened. Letting him carry on with his off road disciplines seems an about turn for them. They'd have to offer him mega money mind you....he's already on a nice contract, and is basically the face of Canyon bikes....

    That was exactly my response. Man's got eyes on Tokyo MTB race as well so it hardly fits as a move, he'd be better off staying put for another year where he can pick and choose at will and rake it in from Canyon who, understandably, are big fans
    Sky have a record of indulging Olympic aspirations - see Viviani. MVDP may stay put, he's getting paid well enough, but he must have been frustrated watching Roubaix at the weekend.
    As for Canyon, he's unlikely to join Movistar.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,619
    RichN95 wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    AndyRAC wrote:
    MvdP to Ineos seems unlikely but stranger things have happened. Letting him carry on with his off road disciplines seems an about turn for them. They'd have to offer him mega money mind you....he's already on a nice contract, and is basically the face of Canyon bikes....

    That was exactly my response. Man's got eyes on Tokyo MTB race as well so it hardly fits as a move, he'd be better off staying put for another year where he can pick and choose at will and rake it in from Canyon who, understandably, are big fans
    Sky have a record of indulging Olympic aspirations - see Viviani. MVDP may stay put, he's getting paid well enough, but he must have been frustrated watching Roubaix at the weekend.
    As for Canyon, he's unlikely to join Movistar.

    I guess Katusha is the other Canyon team - with Dirk Demol it seems like they are building a decent classics team. That said, no reason why Canyon might not switch to Ineos...
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,402
    It would be supremely stupid for Ineos to not pursue MvdP. Not sure he will ever be really available though.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,526
    RichN95 wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    AndyRAC wrote:
    MvdP to Ineos seems unlikely but stranger things have happened. Letting him carry on with his off road disciplines seems an about turn for them. They'd have to offer him mega money mind you....he's already on a nice contract, and is basically the face of Canyon bikes....

    That was exactly my response. Man's got eyes on Tokyo MTB race as well so it hardly fits as a move, he'd be better off staying put for another year where he can pick and choose at will and rake it in from Canyon who, understandably, are big fans
    Sky have a record of indulging Olympic aspirations - see Viviani. MVDP may stay put, he's getting paid well enough, but he must have been frustrated watching Roubaix at the weekend.
    As for Canyon, he's unlikely to join Movistar.

    The Olympics are only next year. I'm sure they could sign a contract for 2021 or let him have a year playing in the mud with the children.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Mikel Landa has signed for Bahrain Merida to replace Nibali
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,723
    Stybar will have to go.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,602
    Word is that Total are after Alaphillipe (out of contract this year). Offering no less than 4 million of your Euros.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,219
    The day few thought would happen. Davide Rebellin announced his retirement at the tender age of 47. His last race will be the Italian Nationals.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,295
    M.R.M. wrote:
    It would be supremely stupid for Ineos to not pursue MvdP. Not sure he will ever be really available though.

    If he has a fizz-pop-fizzle classics campaign next year, they’ll snaffle him up and “save” his career for his true destiny - Le Tour Green Jersey 2020-22/Yellow 2022-27. By then Froome and GT will be long gone and wrapped up in billtong/Welsh cakes and fed to the African lions/Welsh seagulls - whilst Bernal will will be obliged to join the inevitable new Colombian World Tour Team...
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
    RichN95 wrote:
    The day few thought would happen. Davide Rebellin announced his retirement at the tender age of 47. His last race will be the Italian Nationals.
    And good riddance to him :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,219
    A mid-season transfer. Connor Swift has joined Arkea Samsic

    (Greipel & Barguil's team - I get my French PC teams confused)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,723
    QS will jettison Stybar to keep Alaphilippe.

    Though if the rumour that Total offered €4m for Alaphilippe he might be tempted 'cos Lefevre won't offer him that.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    QS will jettison Stybar to keep Alaphilippe.

    Though if the rumour that Total offered €4m for Alaphilippe he might be tempted 'cos Lefevre won't offer him that.
    how old is Stybar now ? Good riders, just never seems to get the big results in the monuments
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,219
    sherer wrote:
    QS will jettison Stybar to keep Alaphilippe.

    Though if the rumour that Total offered €4m for Alaphilippe he might be tempted 'cos Lefevre won't offer him that.
    how old is Stybar now ? Good riders, just never seems to get the big results in the monuments
    He's got ten top tens though. Including 6 out of seven attempts at Roubaix (runner-up twice). Rarely the team leader.

    And he's 33. He'd be a major asset to any team.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,418
    Connor swift to Arkes working for griepel . Going to TFDOD
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,723
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    QS will jettison Stybar to keep Alaphilippe.

    Though if the rumour that Total offered €4m for Alaphilippe he might be tempted 'cos Lefevre won't offer him that.
    how old is Stybar now ? Good riders, just never seems to get the big results in the monuments
    He's got ten top tens though. Including 6 out of seven attempts at Roubaix (runner-up twice). Rarely the team leader.

    And he's 33. He'd be a major asset to any team.

    Sure but he's on a "leaders' salary" according to Peeters and he's not won anything.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,402
    Well, decent year with Omloop and E3 this year.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,219
    The latest rumour is Viviani to Cofidis. It's long been rumoured that Cofidis are looking to step up to being a cycling team next season.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,378
    RichN95 wrote:
    The latest rumour is Viviani to Cofidis. It's long been rumoured that Cofidis are looking to step up to being a cycling team next season.

    That's what today's Het Nieuwsblad are saying. Apparently it's a substantial" bid from Cofidis, who are also looking to sign Sabatini.
    Alaphilippe's deal looks to have left Lefevere with a deep hole in his pocket, although he is still in talks with the Italian champ. Doubtful whether he can stump up sufficient cash, though.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,219
    Alaphilippe's deal looks to have left Lefevere with a deep hole in his pocket, although he is still in talks with the Italian champ. Doubtful whether he can stump up sufficient cash, though.
    What are the chances that Quick Step are trying to divert every penny they can into a big piggy bank with MVDP2021 written on it?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The latest rumour is Viviani to Cofidis. It's long been rumoured that Cofidis are looking to step up to being a cycling team next season.

    Boo hoo hani?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,402
    RichN95 wrote:
    Alaphilippe's deal looks to have left Lefevere with a deep hole in his pocket, although he is still in talks with the Italian champ. Doubtful whether he can stump up sufficient cash, though.
    What are the chances that Quick Step are trying to divert every penny they can into a big piggy bank with MVDP2021 written on it?
    Would certainly make sense for them and him. How much would Canyon spend in order to keep him ala Specialized with Sagan?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Alaphilippe's deal looks to have left Lefevere with a deep hole in his pocket, although he is still in talks with the Italian champ. Doubtful whether he can stump up sufficient cash, though.
    What are the chances that Quick Step are trying to divert every penny they can into a big piggy bank with MVDP2021 written on it?
    Would certainly make sense for them and him. How much would Canyon spend in order to keep him ala Specialized with Sagan?

    An awful lot. Bearing in mind how much some folks at Katusha get paid, you'd think that they wouldn't be too hesitant in flinging a blank cheque his way
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    M.R.M. wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Alaphilippe's deal looks to have left Lefevere with a deep hole in his pocket, although he is still in talks with the Italian champ. Doubtful whether he can stump up sufficient cash, though.
    What are the chances that Quick Step are trying to divert every penny they can into a big piggy bank with MVDP2021 written on it?
    Would certainly make sense for them and him. How much would Canyon spend in order to keep him ala Specialized with Sagan?

    Just something that popped in my mind.
    Could Canyon look to take over from Specialized and supply bikes to Quickstep?
    I'm sure Canyon would like to be associated with a team that win as often as Quickstep. Quickstep may be willing to change to Canyon bikes if it meant that they could sign MVDP.