The Vikings are HERE! Be afraid. *possible spoilers* *definite pillaging *

Comments

• gsk82 said:

Have they raced the tour de Yorkshire before?

That was Riwal Readiness (sp), although I think this team has come out of the ashes of that one (based on the British guy who was on TCP around Christmas time (James something I think))
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    edited March 2021
    Pross said:

Norwegian based. Been around since 2010 apparently but moved up from Pro Continental to Pro Team last season. Hadn't heard of them either but look suited to the Classics.

They used to be the Norwegian Development team. I'd only come across them before because that was who Tobias Foss was riding for when he won the 2019 Tour de l'Avenir.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    UnoX aren't connected with Riwal, they're a Norwegian /Danish (mainly Norwegian) dev team. They've got some very strong youngsters. They've also started a women's team and are ready to step up to WWT, but UCI don't allow it for a new team (despite all other requirements being in place). Forum favourite (at least in the Lanterne Rouge thread) Lars Ytting Bak is the women's manager.

Riwal still exist, but they dropped down to Conti level. I think they had a women's team that folded. A lot of interest in Riwal was about getting a DK team together for the Tour start, the wind went out of their sails when it was put back a year.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I should maybe rename this thread "The Vikings are Here!"

Wins on consecutive days for Magnus Cort (PN) and Søren Kragh (TA), a close but no cigar for Kragh in MSR, and now Andreas Kron takes his first WT win from the break in Catalunya.

Cecilie Uttrup took third in Alfredo Binda, she's due a major win soon. I'm pretty sure you'll see the post race interview when it happens :)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    DeadCalm said:

No danger of No TA Doctor's viking thread disappearing off the front page. Jonas Vingegaard takes stage 2 of Coppi e Batali and the overall lead.

Are you a cattle farmer, or a monk, or the father of daughters, @DeadCalm? It's nice to see someone else take an interest in the resurgence of the Vikings :smiley:

Yes, it's been a good start to the season. Hopefully Mads P can pillage some treasure over the Easter races.
  • DeadCalm

DeadCalm said:

No danger of No TA Doctor's viking thread disappearing off the front page. Jonas Vingegaard takes stage 2 of Coppi e Batali and the overall lead.

Are you a cattle farmer, or a monk, or the father of daughters, @DeadCalm? It's nice to see someone else take an interest in the resurgence of the Vikings :smiley:

Yes, it's been a good start to the season. Hopefully Mads P can pillage some treasure over the Easter races.
    Some of my regular cycling buddies are Danes. In fact, Danes make up a disproportionate number of the cycling community here in Chiang Mai. I'm not allowed to miss their successes.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm
    Ha ha. This is getting ridiculous now.
    Team My Man 2022:

• No_Ta_Doctor
    DeadCalm said:

Ha ha. This is getting ridiculous now.

It's got to the point where I'm not updating until the day after a race in case the thread title gives a spoiler :smiley:

And not really wanting to bring Norwegians into this, but UnoX got a top ten place today in E3. Impressive from them, they've been visible in every big race they've had an invite for
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Another Danish win in the Coppi e Bartelli today too.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Another Danish win in the Coppi e Bartelli today too.

Bloody hell, I missed that. That's two for Vingegaard, and he leads the GC by a few seconds heading into the final day
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150

Impressive from them, they've been visible in every big race they've had an invite for

They would struggle not to visible with their kit.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Mads had a shocker today. Anyone know what’s up?
  • RichN95.

I picked him for PTP. That usually does it
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    RichN95. said:

I picked him for PTP. That usually does it
    I picked him for Paris-Nice, so yep, totally agree.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Mads was sounding confident before the race, said his form was good so maybe just a bad day at the office. Not wet enough probably. Nobody here is really thinking about that, cos Asgreen went full beast mode.

8 wins from 6 riders so far from the men, and it's not even Easter yet.

3 2nds for Emma Norsgsaard, she's closing on a result, GW will suit her if it doesn't split up
  • rick_chasey

Mads was sounding confident before the race, said his form was good so maybe just a bad day at the office. Not wet enough probably. Nobody here is really thinking about that, cos Asgreen went full beast mode.

8 wins from 6 riders so far from the men, and it's not even Easter yet.

3 2nds for Emma Norsgsaard, she's closing on a result, GW will suit her if it doesn't split up

Asgreen is basically a 20s Terpstra AICMFP
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Errr...
    Mikkel Honoré takes the final stage of the Coppi e Bartali, Vingegaard 2nd. Vingegaard takes the GC

10 wins from 7 riders now
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Lock up your cobbles. "20s Terpstra" my arse
  • RichN95.

Lock up your cobbles. "20s Terpstra" my censored

Ok, he's a 20s Devolder.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    20s Nick Nuyens...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Another viking win, Mikkel Honoré picks up his first WT win in Itzulia Basque. Vingegaard goes into the last stage 3rd on gc.

I honestly can't remember a season anywhere like this, it's insane. We've not even got to the Ardennes yet. Wonder if Fuglsang and Valgren will deliver some more Dannebrog waving?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    Fuglsang has been somewhat worryingly absent (of form) so far.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    m.r.m. said:

Top ten at Strade Bianche, but not showed in the stage races at all. Hopefully just trundling round for training, he's supposedly focused on one day races nowadays
  • rick_chasey

m.r.m. said:

Top ten at Strade Bianche, but not showed in the stage races at all. Hopefully just trundling round for training, he's supposedly focused on one day races nowadays
    Quite right too he actually wins those
  • No_Ta_Doctor

m.r.m. said:

Yeah, I think everyone has had enough of watching him fall off on a week 1 TdF sprint stage and then lose time everywhere. I'm not sure where he stands on week long races though. I assume he's been riding for Izagirre.

He does have 2 Dauphinés to his name, so not a complete waste of space in stage racing
  • rick_chasey

m.r.m. said:

Yeah, I think everyone has had enough of watching him fall off on a week 1 TdF sprint stage and then lose time everywhere. I'm not sure where he stands on week long races though. I assume he's been riding for Izagirre.

He does have 2 Dauphinés to his name, so not a complete waste of space in stage racing
    IIRC he won those by treating the final day like a one dayer.

His 1 dayer stats are really very good.
  • RichN95.
    edited April 2021
    Surprisingly he has 10 stage race wins to his name. Admittedly the two Dauphines are the only ones at WT level, but it's still a good haul.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Cecilie Uttrup took her first WT win at Vuelta a Burgos Feminine yesterday

I still can't find a vid of the post race interview
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Cecilie Uttrup took her first WT win at Vuelta a Burgos Feminine yesterday

I still can't find a vid of the post race interview

Eurosport app had highlights, in the UK at least.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Cheers