1 Lump or 2? Flanders Fortnight and the Road to Roubaix *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Stybar again but only drops Jungels. GvA and WvA a little bit slow to react.
  • Pross
    Jungels back but got spotted. Bettiol riding very well.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Meh
  • Pross
    Stybar manages to take the sprint, guess he managed to keep fairly fresh. Very good race.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    This is getting really boring now.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,643
    Good fun in the end. Enjoyed that.

Feels like the big boys aren't firing at the moment, dontcha think?
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Refreshing this thread works out as better commentary than the cycling new "live" ticker.

Thanks!
  • blazing_saddles
    A good race with the now very predictable finish.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    Bloody QS
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Pross
    DQS getting the tactics right yet again. Makes for boring racing when all the best Classics riders are in one team though ;)
  • rick_chasey
    Speaks bloody good Dutch does Stybar.
  • blazing_saddles
    Good fun in the end. Enjoyed that.

Feels like the big boys aren't firing at the moment, dontcha think?

Who are they?
    Tim DeClerc and Sénéchal? :roll:
  • rick_chasey
    Sagan, Gilbert, Terpstra.
  • blazing_saddles
    Pross wrote:
    DQS getting the tactics right yet again. Makes for boring racing when all the best Classics riders are in one team though ;)

They are still to lose a single, meaningful classic race, this season. Home or away.
  • gweeds
    Can we not use the word meaningful. It’s giving me Brexit sweats.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross wrote:

They are still to lose a single, meaningful classic race, this season. Home or away.

Would help if some teams *coughskcough* would send bigger riders to these races *coughthomascough*
  • blazing_saddles
    Sagan, Gilbert, Terpstra.

Be interesting to see if Terpstra can do out without the huge team advantage.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Prediction: Van Aert will win more monuments in his career that Sagan will
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    RichN95 wrote:
    Prediction: Van Aert will win more monuments in his career that Sagan will

Not sure, think Van der Poel's got his number. Big chance missed there, he got outfoxed in the sprint (boxed in a bit and started too far back) - probably had the legs to win. Still, he rode the rest well, did almost as little work as Stybar until they caught Jungels.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    I love these races... proper racing, just can't wait for the Ronde, my favourite
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    edited March 2019
    They're all on drugs and the uci are covering it up.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    I thought that was class and DQS are a sight to behold at the moment. I don't find it to be too boring (compared to sky levels of dominance) because their tactics are fluid, it seems like they can nab a win from anywhere. It's so impressive
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    ShutupJens wrote:
    I thought that was class and DQS are a sight to behold at the moment. I don't find it to be too boring (compared to sky levels of dominance) because their tactics are fluid, it seems like they can nab a win from anywhere. It's so impressive
    They don't really "nab a win from anywhere"... they nab the win by having the best classics riders in the same team.

Today they had Jungels and Stybar in the selection so Stybar just had to sit in while Jungels softened it up. Hardly a revolutionary tactic.

And while I enjoy watching them race, I am getting a bit annoyed about the same people who normally whinge about sky talking about this like it's the best thing since sliced bread (not you mind).
  • rick_chasey
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    ShutupJens wrote:
    They don't really "nab a win from anywhere"... they nab the win by having the best classics riders in the same team.

Today they had Jungels and Stybar in the selection so Stybar just had to sit in while Jungels softened it up. Hardly a revolutionary tactic.

And while I enjoy watching them race, I am getting a bit annoyed about the same people who normally whinge about sky talking about this like it's the best thing since sliced bread (not you mind).

S’up.
  • blazing_saddles
    ShutupJens wrote:

5 riders in the top 25 and 6 riders ahead of Sky's first: Luke Rowe.
    Of course I do tend to forget that the season is three weeks long and in July.
    Well, according to our illustrious leader it is....
  • rick_chasey
    ShutupJens wrote:

Season is 6 weeks between March and April, no?

;)
  • blazing_saddles
    ShutupJens wrote:

Season is 6 weeks between March and April, no?

;)

My point was about folks spouting this Sky domination nonsense, particularly the guy in charge of this sport, not DQS.
    But now you come to mention it: 73 wins and number 1 ranked team for 2018. (that's Jan-Oct) :wink:
  • blazing_saddles
    Nothing broken, but Vanmarcke out of Gent-Wevelgem.
  • blazing_saddles
    Groenewegen has dropped out of Gent Wevelgem.
  • gweeds
    Must be ill? He’s on fire at the moment.