New wheels - but no noticeable difference?!?

13»

Comments

• RodeBike
    RodeBike Posts: 33
    Imposter wrote:
    Ironically, it seems to me that the only person 'offended' here, was you. But if you could point out which part of my earlier answer you felt was 'uncivil' I'm sure we would all find that helpful.

"Just in case this is a serious post", not everyone has the same experience or understanding of all subjects, and I'm sure there are questions even the most experienced cyclists on this forum have, such as yourself presumably, that Pro cyclists would deem trivial.

I've been a teacher for a long time, and if any pupil of mine ever had the courage to ask a question, I'd never start off a reply with 'just in case this is a serious question'- it's obnoxious, as you well know. But I do make an exception in using it here, obviously.

As I referenced in my initial reply to you, it's a phenomenon particular to the internet, as when I was a younger man, such a reply would be required to be delivered face to face, which required basic courage, and your lesson would be learned either way. But the anonymity the internet provides, has created an odd sort of person, and society consequently.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    RodeBike wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Ironically, it seems to me that the only person 'offended' here, was you. But if you could point out which part of my earlier answer you felt was 'uncivil' I'm sure we would all find that helpful.

"Just in case this is a serious post", not everyone has the same experience or understanding of all subjects, and I'm sure there are questions even the most experienced cyclists on this forum have, such as yourself presumably, that Pro cyclists would deem trivial.

I've been a teacher for a long time, and if any pupil of mine ever had the courage to ask a question, I'd never start off a reply with 'just in case this is a serious question'- it's obnoxious, as you well know. But I do make an exception in using it here, obviously.

As I referenced in my initial reply to you, it's a phenomenon particular to the internet, as when I was a younger man, such a reply would be required to be delivered face to face, which required basic courage, and your lesson would be learned either way. But the anonymity the internet provides, has created an odd sort of person, and society consequently.

Mate - we're not schoolkids, so spare us your classroom ethics and the tired old "wouldn't say it to my face" internet mantra.

Anyway, there is nothing uncivil about introducing a caveat before replying - especially on the internet. More than happy to discuss this with the OP, if he challenges me - although he has posted since my reply and is seemingly none the worse for it. On that basis, I'm not really interested in your faux outrage.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    RodeBike wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I wonder what would happen if they had the courage to challenge your pompous attitude.
  • RodeBike
    RodeBike Posts: 33
    Imposter wrote:
    RodeBike wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Mate - we're not schoolkids, so spare us your classroom ethics and the tired old "wouldn't say it to my face" internet mantra.

Anyway, there is nothing uncivil about introducing a caveat before replying - especially on the internet. More than happy to discuss this with the OP, if he challenges me - although he has posted since my reply and is seemingly none the worse for it. On that basis, I'm not really interested in your faux outrage.

My good man, there's nothing faux about what I'm saying, and it's certainly not outrage by any stretch, merely neutral observation.

The OP was clearly disillusioned by the early posts to his query, and has subsequently not shown up at all in the thread he started, which I think is a shame for a beginner looking for advice.

There was an obvious lack of decency in the replies, which, I felt, culminated in your initial 'just in case this is a serious post' reply. The internet gives you the luxury to reply to another person as such, that much is is certain.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    RodeBike wrote:
    My good man, there's nothing faux about what I'm saying, and it's certainly not outrage by any stretch, merely neutral observation.

The OP was clearly disillusioned by the early posts to his query, and has subsequently not shown up at all in the thread he started, which I think is a shame for a beginner looking for advice.

There was an obvious lack of decency in the replies, which, I felt, culminated in your initial 'just in case this is a serious post' reply. The internet gives you the luxury to reply to another person as such, that much is is certain.

The internet also says you're entitled to your opinion. But that's all it is. Maybe stick to lecturing kids in the classroom, where you obviously enjoy wielding some semblance of authority.

On the upside though - at least I've contributed to the thread with an on-topic reply. Your only contributions here have been off-topic, to act like some self-appointed arbiter in what you see as some kind of 'civility' issue. Gotta love the internet, eh? :roll:
  • yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    Come on guys, stop it, lets talk about bicycles, no need to continue that.
  • YiannisM wrote:
    Come on guys, stop it, lets talk about bicycles, no need to continue that.

My only contribution to this thread will be to both agree with, and to contradict the quoted post. From what I read so far in this thread, there are a lot of condescending posts, particularly the ones aimed at some teacher on this page. Uncalled for IMO and quite c**tish.

The original post may or may not come across as a bit silly or whatever to those of us with more experience, but that is no reason to respond to a potential newbie in the manner that he or she has been.

The first actual answer to the question was this: viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=13104211#p20498233

It was like halfway down the page. Essentially the thread could have ended there.

Anyway good weather today, enjoy your rides. :)penis