LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    As a bit of ideology how about aligning the tax threshold with the max amount of benefits? logic being that if that is counted as the bare minimum safety net why tax anybody until they earn the same amount?
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,944

As a bit of ideology how about aligning the tax threshold with the max amount of benefits? logic being that if that is counted as the bare minimum safety net why tax anybody until they earn the same amount?

How does this work when a single young male can live like a king on relatively modest means in Northern towns, when a single mother in London would face a serious uphill struggle on the same amount?

Moving the young mother to the middle of nowhere is also likely to be moving her from any support network that might offer discount child care and the opportunity to work.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,754

Tricky to do as benefits I think are mostly calculated by household whereas tax is mostly individual, but I think it's a valid principle. If you look at UC, you can see how big the gap can be between a good idea and its implementation.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,754

morstar said:

It’s nonsense.
    Small state is an ideology. It’s preferred by the better off for obvious reasons. Whilst it’s a perfectly legitimate position, trying to get the poor to buy into it is a failure of comprehension.

taxing the poor and giving it back to them in benefits is the opposite of small state which is all for letting people keep as much of their hard earned as possible and letting them chose to spend it on rather than the state taking it off them and spending it for them.

I used to be all for a high tax threshold but for all the reasons put forwards by RJST I have my doubts
    Raising income tax thresholds is just tax breaks for the middle classes with a worthy hat on. It doesn't make people on low wages any better off as they are already well below the threshold.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    Jezyboy said:

How does this work when a single young male can live like a king on relatively modest means in Northern towns, when a single mother in London would face a serious uphill struggle on the same amount?

Moving the young mother to the middle of nowhere is also likely to be moving her from any support network that might offer discount child care and the opportunity to work.
    there should be far more regional rates for benefits and public sector pay.

There will be a lot of arguments about cost but in this day and age it should be solvable.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    edited March 2021

morstar said:

It’s nonsense.
    Small state is an ideology. It’s preferred by the better off for obvious reasons. Whilst it’s a perfectly legitimate position, trying to get the poor to buy into it is a failure of comprehension.

taxing the poor and giving it back to them in benefits is the opposite of small state which is all for letting people keep as much of their hard earned as possible and letting them chose to spend it on rather than the state taking it off them and spending it for them.

I used to be all for a high tax threshold but for all the reasons put forwards by RJST I have my doubts
    You have to have ‘a’ state.
    The market does not provide well in all areas.

If you accept to have a state, the focus should be on optimising effectiveness. Just wanting it to be small is purely an indulgence of the affluent as small is never small enough.

Do I think it works well at present. No?

Why doesn’t it work well, some state interventions are missing, some are not required. We often end up with worst of both worlds.

Why tax somebody who is being given their entire income by the state?

My ideal is that every entitlement and liability is netted against each other and you keep what you are left with. I got ridiculed for that a few years ago but it is actually the direction of travel.

Benefits in kind now taxed in payroll along with stuff like high earners child benefit etc.

Much better than giving in one hand and taking away in another.
  • morstar
    Why do we think productivity is so poor in this country? I guarantee it’s partly due to low pay jobs with no security.

And yet these ideals heavily overlap with the small state brigade in a venn diagram.

It’s all interdependent.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632

That's similar to UBI isn't it?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,811
    morstar said:

Why do we think productivity is so poor in this country? I guarantee it’s partly due to low pay jobs with no security.

And yet these ideals heavily overlap with the small state brigade in a venn diagram.

It’s all interdependent.

Not quite so simple as the US is also more productive.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632

Absolute baller question there from the FT.
    I grew up in his constituency. My mother is still there.
    It must be one of the least densely populated outside of somewhere like Cornwall or the highlands. It polls 60% tory (it was formally William Hague's seat). There's next to no unemployment AFAIK.

The biggest crime story from there in my lifetime was the 2 slightly warped kids who plotted to blow up my old school and got done under anti-terror laws.

I can assure Rishi that the needs of the area are nothing compared to parts of Teeside 25 minutes up the road, or the more deprived parts of West & South Yorkshire.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,951
    edited March 2021
    morstar said:

It’s all interdependent.

It's down to they way productivity is measured. A service industry heavy economy (the UK) fares far worse in comparison to a production heavy economy. UK productivity levels are actually significantly under-measured as a result.

• rick_chasey

morstar said:

It’s all interdependent.

It's down to they way productivity is measured. A service industry heavy economy (the UK) fares far worse in comparison to a production heavy economy. UK production levels are actually significantly under-measured as a result.

lool
  • Dorset_Boy

morstar said:

It’s all interdependent.

It's down to they way productivity is measured. A service industry heavy economy (the UK) fares far worse in comparison to a production heavy economy. UK production levels are actually significantly under-measured as a result.

lool
    Try doing some research Rick. There's lots of academic papers covering it, and i've heard plenty of fund management groups discus it.
    https://google.com/search?q=productivity+measure+issues+in+service+based+economy&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB915GB915&oq=productivity+measure+issues+in+service+based+economy&aqs=chrome..69i57.24101j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

But then you are very illiberal in respect of people who may have a different outlook to yours.
  • rick_chasey

morstar said:

It’s all interdependent.

lool
    Try doing some research Rick. There's lots of academic papers covering it, and i've heard plenty of fund management groups discus it.
    https://google.com/search?q=productivity+measure+issues+in+service+based+economy&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB915GB915&oq=productivity+measure+issues+in+service+based+economy&aqs=chrome..69i57.24101j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

But then you are very illiberal in respect of people who may have a different outlook to yours.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/labourproductivity/articles/whatistheproductivitypuzzle/2015-07-07

I don't think there was a sudden change in the way it was counted in 2009
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    morstar said:

morstar said:

It’s nonsense.

You have to have ‘a’ state.
    The market does not provide well in all areas.

If you accept to have a state, the focus should be on optimising effectiveness. Just wanting it to be small is purely an indulgence of the affluent as small is never small enough.

Do I think it works well at present. No?

Why doesn’t it work well, some state interventions are missing, some are not required. We often end up with worst of both worlds.

Why tax somebody who is being given their entire income by the state?

My ideal is that every entitlement and liability is netted against each other and you keep what you are left with. I got ridiculed for that a few years ago but it is actually the direction of travel.

Benefits in kind now taxed in payroll along with stuff like high earners child benefit etc.

Much better than giving in one hand and taking away in another.
    It is the law of unintended consequences. There are many careers that owe their entire income to the state. From police, NHS and all the way up to supreme court judges. Sure the idea works on day one as you do a calculation against the tax code to see what the equivalent is after tax and just pay them that. Next year they tinker with the tax codes and now you have to trawl through those employees and either give them more money or try to reduce against a militant union to make it fair to those not on the payroll of the state.

As ever the easiest thing to do is have everyone and all employers comply with a single tax law. Albeit we could argue that simplifying this tax law would be welcomed by most. We have a political system where historically a party say introduces say winter fuel payment and then all future governments find it hard to take away. Paying my mum and dad a winter fuel payment to live in a modern well insulated house is clearly a waste of state funds but it gave a minister a warm feeling for the 10 minutes they announced in in a budget.
  • rick_chasey
    Dorset, do you think the BoE, who published papers every year on how to solve the "Productivity puzzle" since the crash are not aware of how it is counted?
  • Dorset_Boy

morstar said:

It’s all interdependent.

lool

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/labourproductivity/articles/whatistheproductivitypuzzle/2015-07-07

I not sure you have got the point.
    Productivity may have 'tailed off' since 2009 as measured, but that isn't the point i was making.
    I am saying that the way productivity is measured favours manufacturing based economies over service based economies.
    Therefore, if there is a gap between the UK and others, it isn't anything like the level the official figures suggest because the way the official figures are measured under report service sector productivity.
  • rick_chasey
    edited March 2021

morstar said:

It’s all interdependent.

lool

Productivity may have 'tailed off' since 2009 as measured, but that isn't the point i was making.
    I am saying that the way productivity is measured favours manufacturing based economies over service based economies.
    Therefore, if there is a gap between the UK and others, it isn't anything like the level the official figures suggest because the way the official figures are measured under report service sector productivity.
    I get the point. I am explaining why it is irrelevant.

People who find excuses in the way things are counted miss the broader point.

No serious economist believes the UK is as productive as the US. That is because it is not. Regardless of counting style.
  • morstar

morstar said:

It’s all interdependent.

Not quite so simple as the US is also more productive.
    You did see my use of the word ‘partly’?

It’s a complex system. This is part of the problem. I can assure you it is.
  • Dorset_Boy

morstar said:

It’s all interdependent.

lool

No serious economist believes the UK is as productive as the US. That is because it is not. Regardless of counting style.
    Surprised to see you hold up the USA as a shining light.
    Presumably the minimal holidays and lack of workers rights, coupled with minimal public healthcare have an impact. none of which i can see you being a fan of.
  • rick_chasey

morstar said:

It’s all interdependent.

lool

Surprised to see you hold up the USA as a shining light.
    Presumably the minimal holidays and lack of workers rights, coupled with minimal public healthcare have an impact. none of which i can see you being a fan of.
    Sure, that was the point I was making. UK seems to be stuck between models.
  • morstar
    So we need more fear to increase productivity and a small state to keep the fear alive.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,856
    morstar said:

So we need more fear to increase productivity and a small state to keep the fear alive.

Privatise the NHS to reduce state size.
    No expensive or job related insurance? Increase fear. Sorted.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    morstar said:

That's not what I'm saying, is it?

I'm just saying that the issue is probably not to do with where on the spectrum between employer/employee power the UK sits.
  • surrey_commuter
    pblakeney said:

morstar said:

Privatise the NHS to reduce state size.
    No expensive or job related insurance? Increase fear. Sorted.
    not what I mean by the size of the state

Boris believes he can spot industry sectors and companies that will be future world beaters, he will tax you more and borrow more money to back his hunches to give them a helping hand and mean that the next generation of global giants are not all USA and include some UK companies.

I believe in minimising state interference, ie barriers to recruitment, trade, regulations, taxes to provide the best environment for the private sector to flourish.
  • rick_chasey

What does a couple decades of Tories get you?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    TBF, Labour has been fecking pretty much on radio silence for months and the Libs are pretty much non-existent.

We don't have an opposition right now and haven't had for bloody years.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    elbowloh said:

TBF, Labour has been fecking pretty much on radio silence for months and the Libs are pretty much non-existent.

Now you’re beginning to understand when I say democracy may not survive another poor /
    non-recovery from an economic downturn
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

elbowloh said:

Now you’re beginning to understand when I say democracy may not survive another poor /
    Sorry, but that's nonsense.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • surrey_commuter
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

Sorry, but that's nonsense.
    +1

Currently Boris has found that the hard core Tory vote would vote for Ed Miliband’s manifesto if he wore a blue rosette.

At some point they will come to hate him more than JC in the way that Labour members hate Blair