LEAVE the Conservative Party and save your country!

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776
    Pross said:

elbowloh said:

I assumed you were all talking about what is the best way to manage immigration on a more macro level, not advising Rick how to do his job.

Ah, but Rick's job would seem to be the only job in the world that manages to beat teaching for being both easier to do and staffed by more incompetent people ;)
    Those that can’t, recruit

Or rec cons are all failed teachers
    90% of the recruiters I have had dealings with seem to have no idea about the sector they are recruiting into, put you forward for stuff that is not related to what you do or wish to do and for things that are £10-20k less than you are currently paid.

Or things like: there's this role, it's a similar to something you were doing 15 years ago when a junior, it's £20k less you're paid now and you'd have to live away from home during the week. I mean wtf?
    I get this at least once a week.
    Likewise.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

I assumed you were all talking about what is the best way to manage immigration on a more macro level, not advising Rick how to do his job.

Ah, but Rick's job would seem to be the only job in the world that manages to beat teaching for being both easier to do and staffed by more incompetent people ;)

90% of the recruiters I have had dealings with seem to have no idea about the sector they are recruiting into, put you forward for stuff that is not related to what you do or wish to do and for things that are £10-20k less than you are currently paid.

Or things like: there's this role, it's a similar to something you were doing 15 years ago when a junior, it's £20k less you're paid now and you'd have to live away from home during the week. I mean wtf?
    Likewise.
    I am genuinely bemused, do these people not have electricity? it is years since I had a call as it is all done on LI which is your shop window to project what you want.

This means that they are easily replaced with internal recruiters who have all the downsides you lot mention.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Likewise.
    I am genuinely bemused, do these people not have electricity? it is years since I had a call as it is all done on LI which is your shop window to project what you want.

This means that they are easily replaced with internal recruiters who have all the downsides you lot mention.
    I keep seeing recruiters doing videos of them talking about a role they are recruiting for. No, i don't want to watch your self-promotional video. I want to read/scan in 2 seconds if it is remotely interesting to me.

Also just a line like "we're recruiting for a xxx, call me for more details". Well no, i'm not calling you unless you tell me where it is, what the job actually is and what it pays (why do so many job ads not tell you the salary?), otherwise its probably a complete waste of time calling you.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,917
    Probably one for the seemingly trivial things that annoy you thread, but seeing as it's the subject that we are on at the moment. Why do recruiters acting on behalf of engineering companies not seem to know the difference between FEA and CFD.
  • elbowloh
    Jezyboy said:

Probably one for the seemingly trivial things that annoy you thread, but seeing as it's the subject that we are on at the moment. Why do recruiters acting on behalf of engineering companies not seem to know the difference between FEA and CFD.

Its the right thread as ALL recruiters are Tories...
    ;)
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Likewise.

Recruiters find you on LI then phone you about totally inappropriate positions.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Likewise.

lol the recruiters who call *you* do that, sure.
  • Jezyboy
    Tbf the only recruiter who wnet to the trouble of calling me, and then WhatsApping me, did have a suitable opportunity that would have been a significant step up in some respects.

The ones that blanket email on LinkedIn are pretty useless.
  • elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Likewise.

I keep seeing recruiters doing videos of them talking about a role they are recruiting for. No, i don't want to watch your self-promotional video. I want to read/scan in 2 seconds if it is remotely interesting to me.

Also just a line like "we're recruiting for a xxx, call me for more details". Well no, i'm not calling you unless you tell me where it is, what the job actually is and what it pays (why do so many job ads not tell you the salary?), otherwise its probably a complete waste of time calling you.
    the salary may depend upon the candidate. I may see two candidates with raw talent and hire them both at £30k each or I may hire the finished article for £60k
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    No one ever tries to recruit me. That's a blow to my ego.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    I dont get many contacts out of the blue these days with offers of jobs which require a big step down in pay and responsibility, although that said the roles which might be a big step up do not come up very often.

I'm more likely to get contacted asking if I want a chat about my recruiting needs for the department. Not necessarily a bad thing, although I wish that the junior recruiters who do this would check the existing relationships first, as often I've known someone much more senior in the agency for a long time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Likewise.

lol the recruiters who call *you* do that, sure.
    That is still a failing on the recruiters part for not being able to understand what is being asked for, what is on offer, and what I can contribute.
    Typical example is same job, same money, opposite end of the country. No thanks.
    Worst example was my office being understaffed and I was offered to take up the position that I was already doing while my C.V. showed this. I hope he was suitably embarrassed when I asked if he had read my C.V. and he replied "yes".
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • elbowloh

elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Likewise.

the salary may depend upon the candidate. I may see two candidates with raw talent and hire them both at £30k each or I may hire the finished article for £60k
    Total waste of my time and their time if I call about a job and it's half what i'm normally paid.

Also, keep seeing jobs asking for loads of qualifications, plus 10 years plus experience in some niche fields, with a lot of responsibility and line management and then advertise for a salary which is pretty much a graduates salary.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean
    I've always disliked the adverts for jobs that say must have 10+ years experience and a masters (in anything).
  • Jezyboy
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Likewise.

Total waste of my time and their time if I call about a job and it's half what i'm normally paid.

Also, keep seeing jobs asking for loads of qualifications, plus 10 years plus experience in some niche fields, with a lot of responsibility and line management and then advertise for a salary which is pretty much a graduates salary.
    In my experience this is just a meme, I must be looking at the wrong job adverts.
  • I've always disliked the adverts for jobs that say must have 10+ years experience and a masters (in anything).

you might find it linked to legislation banning discrimination by age
  • elbowloh
    Jezyboy said:

elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

pblakeney said:

Pross said:

elbowloh said:

Likewise.

In my experience this is just a meme, I must be looking at the wrong job adverts.
    Aye.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • TheBigBean

I've always disliked the adverts for jobs that say must have 10+ years experience and a masters (in anything).

What does age have to do with it? I'm querying the need for a masters in an irrelevant subject when that much experience is required.
  • I've always disliked the adverts for jobs that say must have 10+ years experience and a masters (in anything).

What does age have to do with it? I'm querying the need for a masters in an irrelevant subject when that much experience is required.
    masters + 10 years = no millennials
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2021

Probably few 50+ either as they rarely went for their Masters. (Industry dependant).
    Narrowing the selection down...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    pblakeney said:

Probably few 50+ either as they rarely went for their Masters. (Industry dependant).
    That was my initial interpretation of surrey_commuter's comment, but I supposed someone 50+ could be dismissed as too experienced.
  • pblakeney said:

That was my initial interpretation of surrey_commuter's comment, but I supposed someone 50+ could be dismissed as too experienced.
    so you have now written an ad that says the ideal candidate will be 35-50
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    elbowloh said:

Recruiters are no difference to estate agents. They don't care whether you house sells for list price or 20% under as they're commission is minimally affected. For a recruiter the more people they place a day the more money they make. They could not care less it's impact on the person and only seek to avoid complete embarrassment for risk of harming future contracts with the client that is not the person being placed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,702
    john80 said:

elbowloh said:

Recruiters are no difference to estate agents. They don't care whether you house sells for list price or 20% under as they're commission is minimally affected. For a recruiter the more people they place a day the more money they make. They could not care less it's impact on the person and only seek to avoid complete embarrassment for risk of harming future contracts with the client that is not the person being placed.
    Sure, at the lower salary range.
  • TheBigBean

pblakeney said:

My grievance is being excluded for not having the irrelevant masters despite potentially being the right age. Although age obviously shouldn't count.
  • pblakeney said:

My grievance is being excluded for not having the irrelevant masters despite potentially being the right age. Although age obviously shouldn't count.
    You are aggrieved at not getting a hypothetical job? why not get a hypothetical masters?

Let me know if you need a reference😀
  • john80 said:

elbowloh said:

No Rick, not all rec cons at the lower level are as described,

Estate agent does care if the price drops 20% because his fee drops 20%!!!!!!
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314
    Once you're arguing the toss over a couple of thousand either way I agree they likely don't care, but 20% would be pretty noticeable.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • john80 said:

elbowloh said:

No Rick, not all rec cons at the lower level are as described,

Estate agent does care if the price drops 20% because his fee drops 20%!!!!!!
    The estate agent company gets 1.5% of the selling price, the individual agent maybe 10% of that?

So if the price is £20k lower than it could be, the individual agent is down by £30. Better to move on to the next sale than try to maximise the price.

It's not in their interests to spend time getting you the best possible price.
  • pangolin said:

Once you're arguing the toss over a couple of thousand either way I agree they likely don't care, but 20% would be pretty noticeable.

It is the same non understanding of percentages that allows Labour to shout that those who earn more should pay more in taxation