When should I replace chain and rear cassette

Comments

• Anyway, back on topic. If you wanted to be very clear about the issue of cassette / chain changing frequencies, the best way to think about it is, if you’ve got a chain wear checker, and you change the chain when it indicates it’s time to do so, and ( importantly ) it hasn’t started slipping, you could get multiple chain changes with 1 cassette. However, if you need to change the chain because it has been slipping, you will almost certainly will need a new cassette as well. If you put a new chain, on a cassette that’s has a slipping chain used on it for any time / mileage, it will knacker the new chain, in short order, hence the phrase that pays. If you’re using high end cassettes, that are going to cost 150 odd quid a pop, it’s probably best to get a chain wear checker, and check the chain regularly, that way you won’t end up spending loads more than you need to.
  • diplodicus wrote:
    figbat wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Why do you think the saying “you can’t teach an old cog new links” is used ( by a lot of experienced riders ).

Nobody says that - you just made it up to suit your delusional confirmation bias.

Out of interest I just Googled the phrase "you can't teach a old cog new links". Three hits. One is this thread and the other two are threads on Cycling UK by one Marcus Aurelius. That's damn near folklore.

Brilliant :D

Not “brilliant” it’s a lie.

2Rqlzz4.png

You see?
  • I’ve always maintained my chain & cassette to a high standard and kept a close eye on chain wear using an indicator therefore reducing any chance to cause damage to the cassette. This way I can replace my chain at least 3 times before considering replacing the cassette. A chain is a consumable component.

That’s the best way to do it. If you leave it until the chain starts actually slipping, you will almost certainly have a knackered cassette as well, and it’s a poor idea to put a new chain on that.
  • Step83 wrote:
    Bondurant wrote:
    Cretin. I suppose you change your chain rings too then?

Plus new cleats every ride. wear an tear you know.

Many a true word spoken in jest. I had a cheapo cleat ( one of those lifeline numbers from Wiggle )break on me ( the ‘nose / hook’ ) broke away. I rode 60 miles with my left foot continually trying to shoot out of the pedal every time I made an effort / hit a bump in the road.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    I’ve always maintained my chain & cassette to a high standard and kept a close eye on chain wear using an indicator therefore reducing any chance to cause damage to the cassette. This way I can replace my chain at least 3 times before considering replacing the cassette. A chain is a consumable component.

That’s the best way to do it. If you leave it until the chain starts actually slipping, you will almost certainly have a knackered cassette as well, and it’s a poor idea to put a new chain on that.
    How much wear will a chain suffer with back-pedalling?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    ...if you change a chain, and it’s done a bit of work, the new chain will invariably slip, unless you change the cassette at the same time ( for reasons I stated ).

“Invariably” means “always”. I have changed chains but kept cassettes on road and MTB bikes (so have “experience” in the matter) and they have never slipped. Also, I can fit cycling and Googling into my life, with each one having a time and place. If I am curious as to how common a word or phrase is I tend to Google it if I have never heard it uttered before. I also know how to Google phrases, with the “”, so that I’m not finding completely irrelevant hits.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • I love the string of responses. Did you just get back from an emergency AA meeting or something?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited November 2018
    Anybody with any actual experience of how chain and cassette changes work would know, that ( as I’ve tried to tell the clueless on this thread ) if you change a chain, and it’s done a bit of work, the new chain will invariably slip, unless you change the cassette at the same time ( for reasons I stated ). The fact certain bits of this site seems to be universally inhabited, by people with seemingly no actual experience of the subject under discussion, ain’t my problem.

Someone else alluded to it earlier, but I’m now utterly convinced that this guy has some form of depression or some similar mental illness. Surely no healthy person would continue to deliberately do this to themselves...?
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    PBlakeney wrote:
    I’ve always maintained my chain & cassette to a high standard and kept a close eye on chain wear using an indicator therefore reducing any chance to cause damage to the cassette. This way I can replace my chain at least 3 times before considering replacing the cassette. A chain is a consumable component.

:D:D:D:D
  • akh
    akh Posts: 206
    I carry 11 chains with me on each ride, one for each cog on the cassette. If I want to change gear I stop at the roadside and fit the specific chain for each cog because that's the only way to ensure optimum wear between chain and cassette. I tried just changing gear, but my chain just span around the cassette hopelessly and I tipped over sideways from lack of forward momentum.

I'm thinking of riding a single speed to solve the problem.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    figbat wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Why do you think the saying “you can’t teach an old cog new links” is used ( by a lot of experienced riders ).

Nobody says that - you just made it up to suit your delusional confirmation bias.

Out of interest I just Googled the phrase "you can't teach a old cog new links". Three hits. One is this thread and the other two are threads on Cycling UK by one Marcus Aurelius. That's damn near folklore.

If anyone wants to try Googling the phrase ‘you can’t teach an old cog new links’ please do, you’ll see that this guy is wrong / lying ( surprisingly). You’ll get a suggestion for “did you mean, you can’t teach an old dog new tricks “. Followed by hundreds of links for that phrase. If you insist on “you can’t teach an old cog new links” you’ll get the same result. So why he posted the rubbish he posted about getting 3 results, and what they were, is beyond me.

Put the phrase in quotation marks. There is also a link to a person known as Bottom briquettes - who could that be??
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1 ... rXQzMyEhtQ
  • cld531c wrote:
    Put the phrase in quotation marks. There is also a link to a person known as Bottom briquettes - who could that be??

He knows less about google than he knows about chain wear :lol:
  • Shortfall wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

:D:D:D:D

Applause
  • AKH wrote:

I'm thinking of riding a single speed to solve the problem.

I think it’s for the best, judging from what you’ve just posted.
  • cld531c wrote:

I know the difference between “dog” and “cog” though. You appear to have Googled the phrase “you can’t teach an old cog new links” and then edited the findings. The actual phrase in question is “you can’t teach an old cog new links” with no editing I’m sorry you don’t know the difference between the word “cog” and “dog”, and I feel sorry for any pet dog you’ve ever owned, they tend not to like being sprayed with lube, and cleaned with wet wipes, in my experience.

For avoidance of doubt, here’s an unedited Google search ( again ) for the phrase “ you can’t teach an old cog new links”.

2Rqlzz4.png

I don’t know how you edited your search down, or why you bothered, but I think the clue in your search is in the bit at the bottom where it mentions omitted searches. I’m flattered you go to such lengths to invent lies about me on the internet, but it’s not a healthy obsession to have, or a very bright idea.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    putting this in quote marks means it looks for the entire phrase not the words individually.

so search for "you can’t teach an old cog new links" (quotes included)and see what you get
    You appear to have Googled the phrase “you can’t teach an old cog new links” and then edited the findings. The actual phrase in question is “you can’t teach an old cog new links”

yeah, that'll change the results!!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    putting this in quote marks means it looks for the entire phrase not the words individually.

so search for "you can’t teach an old cog new links" (quotes included)and see what you get
    You appear to have Googled the phrase “you can’t teach an old cog new links” and then edited the findings. The actual phrase in question is “you can’t teach an old cog new links”

yeah, that'll change the results!!

Ah yes, that works, but honestly, who the A.F. would go to the bother of putting the quotation marks in, unless they really had such an unfulfilled existence, that they had to experiment until they got Google to give them the result they wanted? No one I know would, they’d just put the word / phrase in, and end up with some totally irrelevant results.
  • The point being that there is no such saying, further pointing you out as being so utterly full of deluded shyte it is starting to devalue the usefulness forum, what with your stupidity being posted everywhere.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

A negligible amount, seeing as it’s the drop onto / climb up on to the adjacent sprockets and associated ratio’s variations that cause the majority of the wear.
  • The point being that there is no such saying, further pointing you out as being so utterly full of deluded shyte it is starting to devalue the usefulness forum, what with your stupidity being posted everywhere.

Not at all, it’s you and a very small number of ( attempted ) school yard type bullies ( who can’t even do that properly ) attempts at trying to be ‘king of the treehouse’ without actually having suitable experience and knowledge to do so, that devalues any forum. You / they are referred to as ‘Crows’ ( after the typical behaviour of Carrion crows ). Basically it’s parrot like repetition of something that’s been posted about a subject, by someone who actually has experience and knowledge, and is then usually mis applied to the particular subject of discussion, by the crow, in order to try and curry favour, from a bunch of people on a forum they don’t know, or have met, or likely will meet. It’s pathetic behaviour at best.
  • You are yet to prove you have either experience or knowledge.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    PBlakeney wrote:

A negligible amount, seeing as it’s the drop onto / climb up on to the adjacent sprockets and associated ratio’s variations that cause the majority of the wear.
    cartoon-comic-book-whoosh-fast-sound-illustration_csp36493620.jpg
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

Not at all, it’s you and a very small number of ( attempted ) school yard type bullies ( who can’t even do that properly ) attempts at trying to be ‘king of the treehouse’ without actually having suitable experience and knowledge to do so, that devalues any forum. You / they are referred to as ‘Crows’ ( after the typical behaviour of Carrion crows ). Basically it’s parrot like repetition of something that’s been posted about a subject, by someone who actually has experience and knowledge, and is then usually mis applied to the particular subject of discussion, by the crow, in order to try and curry favour, from a bunch of people on a forum they don’t know, or have met, or likely will meet. It’s pathetic behaviour at best.

Wrong. It's a few people who are the voice of reason desperately trying to drown out your bollox which is mostly wrong and useless and at worse dangerous.
  • And his legs
  • imposter2.0
    Crows, parrots, ffs. There's literally nothing that anyone can say to this guy which will stop him acting the way he does. You can't even ban him - he just re-joins with a new name and carries on brazenly and shamelessly as though nothing happened. It seems he genuinely cannot help himself, either through mental illness or some other kind of behavioural or personality disorder.

You could show him irrefutable proof (as people have done, many times) that he is wrong, but he will still come back and repeat the exact same nonsense in another thread, while claiming that he is right and that everyone else is wrong, or doesn't ride a bike, or lacks the 'years of experience' that he has.

I think the only antidote to his ignorant, sanctimonious, deluded drivel is to keep pointing it out and hope that the 'non-existent' mods eventually find a way of permanently banning him. Either that or hope that he somehow gets the help he needs from the NHS. What is more likely - that BR will suddenly appoint some moderators - or that the NHS will suddenly get the funding it needs to help people like him?
  • Imposter wrote:
    Crows, parrots, ffs. There's literally nothing that anyone can say to this guy which will stop him acting the way he does. You can't even ban him - he just re-joins with a new name and carries on brazenly and shamelessly as though nothing happened. It seems he genuinely cannot help himself, either through mental illness or some other kind of behavioural or personality disorder.

You could show him irrefutable proof (as people have done, many times) that he is wrong, but he will still come back and repeat the exact same nonsense in another thread, while claiming that he is right and that everyone else is wrong, or doesn't ride a bike, or lacks the 'years of experience' that he has.

I think the only antidote to his ignorant, sanctimonious, deluded drivel is to keep pointing it out and hope that the 'non-existent' mods eventually find a way of permanently banning him. Either that or hope that he somehow gets the help he needs from the NHS. What is more likely - that BR will suddenly appoint some moderators - or that the NHS will suddenly get the funding it needs to help people like him?

or conversely completely ignore him
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • imposter2.0
    Flanners1 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

or conversely completely ignore him

Difficult to do that when he is advocating advice that is, for the most part, flat out wrong or potentially dangerous. It's one of the reasons he's been banned four times already...
  • One other being because he said a cyclist who was killed by a car deserved it as he was in a club.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    Good Lord! On a more serious note, is this really the kind of person British Cycling should want to be associated with?

Edit - this was posted before comment re cyclist being killed. Make a comment like that and IMO you deserve all you get.