Mallorca 312

smiler21
smiler21 Posts: 13
I've signed up for mallorca 312 and just wanted a bit of training advice for completing the 312 distance.

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Seriously, you're going to need to give us a lot more info on you and your riding than that before anyone can even begin to give you any kind of answer...
  • It depends if your plan is to get round or be one of the faster finishes.
    I assume your doing the full 312 rather than a shorter distance?
    So your aim should be to build up endurance over the winter and spring, get a solid winter in and start upping the mileage in the New Year.
    it would be a good idea to get a training programme together with the 312 as your target event.
    Once you can ride 150 miles reasonable comfortably then you should be able to complete 200 on the day.
    Do loads of Zone 2 rides now and start doing some longer zone 3 (Tempo) rides in the new year and mix it with hill work, long hill intervals at threshold etc.

I have heard rumours of doping for the fastest finishes so if that's your target well...... ;)
  • I will be needing some performance enhancing medication
  • The guy who won the Masters recently in the 60+ category had previously been banned for Nandrolone.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Shed loads of cycling.
  • cougie wrote:
    Shed loads of cycling.

That's pretty much it. Almost 200 miles is a long way. There's a lot of climbing and although none of the climbs are particularly long or steep they all add up. Also, it could be hot which is another factor.

If you put the work in you'll really enjoy it. It's a great day on a bike.
  • Even that early in the year, it can be a bit more humid than you might be expecting over in Majorca. Get as much L.S.D. riding as you can over the winter, concentrating on the distance, rather than your speed. Try and keep the majority of your ride in your zone 2, and when you’re comfortably completeing 150 milers, without bonking too badly, increase your target speed, and start to do more hills. The actual ride will be with a group of like minded individuals, which will make it easier, in most respects, than a solo effort.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Ride your bike a lot.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • :wink: Would a coach be better for training? And I don't mean a bus :wink: . TAlso take your own bike or hire one out there.
  • imposter2.0
    Smiler21 wrote:
    :wink: Would a coach be better for training? And I don't mean a bus :wink: . TAlso take your own bike or hire one out there.

The first question a coach would ask you is probably similar to the question I asked you in my first reply. You've not been able to answer it yet...
  • napoleond
    Imposter wrote:
    Smiler21 wrote:
    :wink: Would a coach be better for training? And I don't mean a bus :wink: . TAlso take your own bike or hire one out there.

The first question a coach would ask you is probably similar to the question I asked you in my first reply. You've not been able to answer it yet...

Coaching for the 312 would involve looking at your background and what you want to achieve, it would then involve telling you to ride your bike a lot.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    Yeah, but if you pay for a personal trainer then you will be faster.
    The more you pay, the faster you are. Fact. :lol:Or maybe not.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    200 miles on a rental?
    This is very easy to answer unlike your other queries. no way.
  • imposter2.0
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Smiler21 wrote:

Coaching for the 312 would involve looking at your background and what you want to achieve, it would then involve telling you to ride your bike a lot.

Obviously. Are you telling me or the OP?
  • JGSI wrote:
    200 miles on a rental?
    This is very easy to answer unlike your other queries. no way.

Doing it on a rental makes it a better challenge, do it.
  • napoleond
    Imposter wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Smiler21 wrote:

Obviously. Are you telling me or the OP?

Hah! OP.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cougie
    Smiler21 wrote:
    Also take your own bike or hire one out there.

SERIOUSLY ??

Somehow I can't see you carrying this through.
  • Cougie why do you say that. I'll prove you wrong.
  • cougie
    Please do.

I just can't believe that a serious cyclist would contemplate doing that distance on a hire bike rather than their own. It's a long long distance and of the position is slightly wrong compared to what you're used to..

How much cycling have you done in the past. What's your longest ride to date ?
  • I've been cycling 20 yrs including road racing,tts, sportives and a bit of mtb. I was cycling in Majorca around may time and hired a bike which was fine for 4days. But I do see the benefit of taking my own bike especially with the distance involved also regarding a coach no matter what I would spend for a coach it's ultimately up to me to make sure I follow the program he sets out.
  • imposter2.0
    Or ‘she’...
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    L.S.D. riding.

Interesting new technique? Further, faster, higher?
  • 20yrs experience from tt road and mtb. I do understand the benefits of taking my own bike as opposed to hiring out there. Hopefully the coach I've taken on will help me see this through.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Or ‘she’...

BeaconRuth will be fuming
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I don't think the rental thing is too much of an obstacle, plenty of us have different bikes with different geometries, crank lengths, bar widths, q factors etc. Maybe if you only ever ride one bike but for most our bodies can manage to adapt.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • cougie wrote:
    Please do.

I just can't believe that a serious cyclist would contemplate doing that distance on a hire bike rather than their own. It's a long long distance and of the position is slightly wrong compared to what you're used to..

I've done it on my own bike and a hire bike. Why not?

Why diss the lad. It's a good challenge and a thoroughly enjoyable day on a bike. He should be encouraged and not have to face your pathetic attempts to ridicule him.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    Personally I love riding a rental. That is I can get something good and find out how it compares to my machine back home. If the place isn't to busy they'll probably let you jump around between models and groupsets. I tried a Venge with Dura-ace, and a Sram red mech Tarmac and then a Dura-ace Tarmac all over 10 days. Next time I rent I'll get something different, maybe Trek or Canyon. Try before you buy, road bike demos are quite rare in many countries. Also you get a free mechanic and not having to lug your bike around and pay extra on flights.

I like to bring my own pedals, and own seat. Note the seat to crank center distance and do a few hundred km before any big race and get things dialled in nicely before the race, you'll be fine.
  • Big Harv wrote:
    L.S.D. riding.

Interesting new technique? Further, faster, higher?

Unfortunately not, it’s long steady distance , or LISS, as it’s now often referred to ( low intensity steady state).
  • cougie wrote:
    Please do.

If the rider’s any good, they can easily out ride any minor differences in hire bike to their bike. The rentals aren’t total BSOs, they’re usually something like a Giant TCR, so the rental won’t make much difference to a rider that’s not total sh1te.
  • Not sure that you really need the advice of this forum, 20 years tt road and MTB experience you should know how to train to complete a 312Km sportive. That aside you have had lots of advice coming in suggesting you don't need a coach you just need lots of miles Zone 2/ Zone 3 or LSD or whatever and yet you have not acknowledged those posts once and gone with a coach, your choice of course but then why ask on here?