Vuelta 2018, Stage 19: Lleida > Andorra. Naturlandia - 154,4 km *Spoilers*

13»

Comments

• DeadCalm wrote:
    I thought that was a really good stage. That was a big move from Yates to put in such a strong surge and bridge to the Quintana group. It effectively nullified the Movistar plan of attack (which was obvious but needed strength and guts to counter) and looks like it won him the race, although every time he's taken time out of Valverde, Valverde has struck back.

Great effort by Kruijswijk to regain the podium. Very pleased for Pinot to get a second stage win.

Clearly not a race for those who can only enjoy it when Sky are dominating but lots to like for the rest of us.

Why did you feel the need to have a dig at Sky fans? I think you'll find most sky fans are British and they will be lovin Yates right now.I know i am :D
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    You came back from wherever at the end of the first week (by which time Sky were blatantly making up the numbers) and have since been unremittingly negative about what has been a good race that many have enjoyed. If you can only enjoy cycling when Sky are winning, fair enough.

And I'll be going wherever again, before the men's road race in the world champs, but it has feck all to do with Sky.
    Unusual, though, I grant you, given the amount of time I have spent on here in the past, covering Sky-free, shiite small races, that few have shown an interest in. Over the years, you won't find much Sky love in my posts either, just I hope, objectivity.

Valverde's rapid capitulation aside, today was a decent stage, especially given the nature of the climb and I fully expect tomorrow to be explosive.
    Ironically, though, it was one of your two arch villains from the Giro, who put him to the sword and today he gets lauded.
    john1967 wrote:

Why did you feel the need to have a dig at Sky fans? I think you'll find most sky fans are British and they will be lovin Yates right now.I know i am :D

Indeed.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    That was a big balls GT winning effort from Yates. I don't think anyone expected that.
    From so far out, too. It'd be a travesty if he loses tomorrow - but if it's to a Valverde/Movistar resurgence/cunning, that would be entertaining, too (the Yates boys will win big sooner or later, no doubt - although how Simon would cope with 2 GT's being snaffled from under his nose in 1 season is another question).
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Without prejudging tomorrow, is there any way of calculating what a tenner accumulator on Froome, Thomas, Yates at the beginning of the year might have netted?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    larkim wrote:
    Without prejudging tomorrow, is there any way of calculating what a tenner accumulator on Froome, Thomas, Yates at the beginning of the year might have netted?
    At the beginning of the year is a bit difficult as there really aren't Vuelta odds at the beginning of the season - no-one knows who's likely to be racing. Prior to each race Froome was about Evens, Thomas 14/1 and Yates 4/1.

So if you bet on each one and let the bet ride, a tenner would return £1500. But at the beginning of the season it would be longer odds (particularly with Froome's issues)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    You came back from wherever at the end of the first week (by which time Sky were blatantly making up the numbers) and have since been unremittingly negative about what has been a good race that many have enjoyed. If you can only enjoy cycling when Sky are winning, fair enough.

And I'll be going wherever again, before the men's road race in the world champs, but it has feck all to do with Sky.
    Unusual, though, I grant you, given the amount of time I have spent on here in the past, covering Sky-free, shiite small races, that few have shown an interest in. Over the years, you won't find much Sky love in my posts either, just I hope, objectivity.

Valverde's rapid capitulation aside, today was a decent stage, especially given the nature of the climb and I fully expect tomorrow to be explosive.
    Ironically, though, it was one of your two arch villains from the Giro, who put him to the sword and today he gets lauded.
    john1967 wrote:

Indeed.

Back at yer.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    john1967 wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I thought that was a really good stage. That was a big move from Yates to put in such a strong surge and bridge to the Quintana group. It effectively nullified the Movistar plan of attack (which was obvious but needed strength and guts to counter) and looks like it won him the race, although every time he's taken time out of Valverde, Valverde has struck back.

Great effort by Kruijswijk to regain the podium. Very pleased for Pinot to get a second stage win.

Clearly not a race for those who can only enjoy it when Sky are dominating but lots to like for the rest of us.

It wasn't a dig at Sky fans in general, just at a small minority who had been perversely negative about what most of us could see was a decent race.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    It wasn't a dig at Sky fans in general, just at a small minority who had been perversely negative about what most of us could see was a decent race.

So, after a couple of decent stages, it's become my way or the highway, has it?
    Last week you were complaining about having to defend your "minority" opinion, when referring to this year's Giro as dull.
    Nobody called you perverse then.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.