Vuelta 2018, Stage 19: Lleida > Andorra. Naturlandia - 154,4 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Yates riding away from Valverde 30 seconds up now.
  • hypster
    Quintana has a mechanical, sprints back onto the Valverde group and then they just leave him for dead. You couldn't write this stuff!
  • hypster
    Yates and Pinot working well together. Over a minute up now. 3K to go.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    At the moment Yates stands to get over a minute on Valverde.
  • Looks as if we are going to lose the close GC, without a lot really happening.

Really not sure what is going on behind.
    Surely Valverde, Mas and Lopez are not all suffering?
    Are they thinking ahead to tomorrow?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Now they are attacking all together...
  • bobmcstuff
    Valverde looking a bit laboured getting back on to Mas etc
  • Kruijswijk struggling too.
    Valverde definitely in trouble.
  • hypster
    Valverde actually doing some work now, but too little, too late.
  • bobmcstuff
    Valverde is dropped.

Kruijswijk has been dropped by pinot/Yates too
  • hypster
    Valverde cracks!!
  • bobmcstuff
    Kelderman misjudged that, went too early I think, if he'd held off a bit I reckon he could have done well.
  • bobmcstuff
    Pinot wins - Yates plus 4 - then Kruijswijk.
  • bobmcstuff
    Valverde at 1'11" not inc bonus seconds.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    valverde loses around 75 sec inc bonus
  • The unrepentant doper’s retirement announcement is imminent. Thank f@ck for that.
  • hypster
    GC
    Yates
    Valverde +1:38
    Kruijswijk +1:58
  • hypster
    I think it's about time Movistar had a clearing out.
  • Another stage, another win for a non GC contender.
    Once again, Movistar's tactics backfire and result in them ripping the legs off their leader, rather than anybody else.
    Lopez seems more interested in looking good in the sprint to the line, than a podium spot.
    Mas better on the shorter steep stuff.
    So, the GC close battle for the top spot ends in more of a whimper than a bang.

Still, at least tomorrow will now be about the all important battle for the KoM jersey.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,570
    Podium is still quite open. Lopez messed up today.
  • Another stage, another win for a non GC contender.
    Once again, Movistar's tactics backfire and result in them ripping the legs off their leader, rather than anybody else.
    Lopez seems more interested in looking good in the sprint to the line, than a podium spot.
    Mas better on the shorter steep stuff.
    So, the GC close battle for the top spot ends in more of a whimper than a bang.

Still, at least tomorrow will now be about the all important battle for the KoM jersey.

It's like Yates' loss of 38 minutes on one stage in Italy never happened.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    I hope Lopez misses the podium, that way he might not ride so negatively in the future although I suppose it might just be a sign that he was never as comfortable as he tried to appear.

• It's like Yates' loss of 38 minutes on one stage in Italy never happened.

This ain't the Giro though and Yates has been careful, burning his matches.
    Tony Gallopin is still climbing with the best.
    If he hasn't cracked.......
  • Once again, come the high mountains and Valverde cracks...
    Kruijswijk also said he suffered with the altitude, today.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    I thought that was a really good stage. That was a big move from Yates to put in such a strong surge and bridge to the Quintana group. It effectively nullified the Movistar plan of attack (which was obvious but needed strength and guts to counter) and looks like it won him the race, although every time he's taken time out of Valverde, Valverde has struck back.

Great effort by Kruijswijk to regain the podium. Very pleased for Pinot to get a second stage win.

Clearly not a race for those who can only enjoy it when Sky are dominating but lots to like for the rest of us.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Nice stage, Yates really becomes a real top TdFcontender today, Pinot made me think *maybe* he could win a grand tour one day, otherwise it was a good day for Landa !
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeadCalm wrote:
    I thought that was a really good stage. That was a big move from Yates to put in such a strong surge and bridge to the Quintana group. It effectively nullified the Movistar plan of attack (which was obvious but needed strength and guts to counter) and looks like it won him the race....
    Clearly not a race for those who can only enjoy it when Sky are dominating but lots to like for the rest of us.

Did somebody mention dominance again?

DeadCalm wrote:
    Something of interest has happened on virtually every stage of this Vuelta whereas the Giro had way, way more dull stages.
    On top of that, the Giro mountain stages were all won by a clearly stronger rider (Yates until his collapse, Froome thereafter) smashing the rest of the field.

Yates also clearly the strongest rider here, no? Negative for the Giro, yet positive for the Vuelta. MMmm

So that, as you are at pains to point out, just leaves the issue with Sky, then.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    DeadCalm wrote:
    I thought that was a really good stage. That was a big move from Yates to put in such a strong surge and bridge to the Quintana group. It effectively nullified the Movistar plan of attack (which was obvious but needed strength and guts to counter) and looks like it won him the race....

Did somebody mention dominance again?

DeadCalm wrote:
    Something of interest has happened on virtually every stage of this Vuelta whereas the Giro had way, way more dull stages.
    On top of that, the Giro mountain stages were all won by a clearly stronger rider (Yates until his collapse, Froome thereafter) smashing the rest of the field.

Yates also clearly the strongest rider here, no? Negative for the Giro, yet positive for the Vuelta. MMmm
    Proven on today's stage after a ding dong battle with Valverde where both have gained and lost time on numerous stages.

So that, as you are at pains to point out, just leaves the issue with Sky, then.
    I've never denied I don't like Sky. Watching them win detracts from my enjoyment. And?

You came back from wherever at the end of the first week (by which time Sky were blatantly making up the numbers) and have since been unremittingly negative about what has been a good race that many have enjoyed. If you can only enjoy cycling when Sky are winning, fair enough.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    That was a decent stage, I'd wondered if Pinot and Yates came to an arrangement but watching Pinot won it fair and square. Good to see him riding well but I wish he could put his head together, sort out his TT and descending and become a GC contender as he should be with his talent.

Yates looks like one of those old school riders of the 50s in the same way Scarponi did, he looks like he should be riding with spare tubs around his shoulders.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Go on Bury lad!!

Enjoyed that even more as I didn't know anything about it before watching the highlights.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)