Vuelta 2018, Stage 16: Santillana del Mar > Torrelavega - 32 km - Individual time-trial, *Spoile

13»

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Fly little flower! (My Man) :wink:

Hello from Mauritius btw. Haven't found a channel to watch it here. :(

Whereabouts are you?

There won't be any channels alas, the only way to watch would be with Eurosport player\ITV Player and a VPN thingy, oh and a semi decent internet connection of course :D
    Not as rare a thing as they used to be!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,447
    The wheels have come off George Bennett's Vuelta haven't they? He lost over 8 minutes today.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Daniel B wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Whereabouts are you?

There won't be any channels alas, the only way to watch would be with Eurosport player\ITV Player and a VPN thingy, oh and a semi decent internet connection of course :D

Palmar near Belle Mare on the east coast.

Don't think it will be possible. Well I'll catch YouTube highlights and the threads here always help a lot!
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    andyp wrote:
    The wheels have come off George Bennett's Vuelta haven't they? He lost over 8 minutes today.
    Doesn't that kind of loss suggest he just cruised round?
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    He said he wasn't going to sulk, so hopefully he is saving himself to assist Stevo.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Well done to Yates but Christ they may as well not interview him if he's not going to open up a bit.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    M.R.M. wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Whereabouts are you?

Palmar near Belle Mare on the east coast.

Don't think it will be possible. Well I'll catch YouTube highlights and the threads here always help a lot!

Very nice, my folks live across on the West coast, in Flic en Flac. I've done a bit of cycling over there too, some nice roads, especially in the quieter areas.

Assuming you are in a hotel type affair, I strongly suspect you are correct!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Ridgerider wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    He said he wasn't going to sulk, so hopefully he is saving himself to assist Stevo.

Makes sense to me, better off saving everything you've got today for the tough days ahead
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    If Yates has one more day in red he will have led Grand Tours for more days than any other British rider in history bar Chris Froome.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    Pinno wrote:
    What's the betting that Valverde puts 30 seconds into Quintana? Quite high I suspect and then perhaps team hierarchy would change by design.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Pinno wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    What's the betting that Valverde puts 30 seconds into Quintana? Quite high I suspect and then perhaps team hierarchy would change by design.

Bah, it was 35 :wink:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Kudos to Dennis, 50 seconds over everyone else on that length of TT is pretty spectacular

But then he knew he was going home for a rest afterwards. I know it's impossible to prevent but I'm not a fan of riders starting a GT with no intention of finishing it as it skews the results and is unfair on those in it for the long haul.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Agree with that. I know it's heresy, but in my preferred sport of athletics (!) there are rules about fair effort which mean, amongst other things, that if you enter heats you need to be prepared to commit at full effort to the finals and can't just withdraw because you don't fancy it (only has a practical effect if you're doubling up on events, e.g. 800m / 1500m, 100m / 200m etc). There isn't a direct parallel which how you'd implement that in a GT as requiring a doctors note to leave a GC would be daft, but it does feel odd having participants literally using the whole of a marquee event as just a training exercise.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    So...howsabout a rider's GT stage victories only being recognised if they cross the finishing line on the last stage?
    Half man, Half bike
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    I really like that. But what do you do about riders crashing out before or getting sick (basically the Richie Porte special :wink:)?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    As I say I don't think there is a practical means to prevent it, maybe halve the amount of UCI points earned for stages if the rider fails to finish.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    I could see that working - give the riders the choice of whether to voluntarily drop out, but have some clear up front consequences either points based or financial.

Sign off by UCI doc if leaving on medical grounds with a no-nonsense procedure that doesn't encourage fraudulent illnesses etc.

If you were going to be strict about having to finish (irrespective of whether they chose to leave or were ill / crashed) you could reallocate bonus seconds as if they weren't there, which might make some interesting dynamics from time to time - though arguably a bit artificial for some people's tastes I would expect, a bit like engine penalties in F1.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Valverde is stuck between whatever is the opposite of a rock and hard place. I'm sure he'd love a world title, probably more than another Vuelta, but he's not going to back off with a win in sight. Maybe why he still says that they are riding for Quintana.
    Quite a few people were convinced that Sagan would have gone home after the first rest day.