Vuelta 2018, Stage 15: Ribera de Arriba > Lagos de Covadonga. Centenarios - 178,2 km *Spoilers*

124»

Comments

• andyp wrote:
    Why does it necessarily have to be a trade off?
    It's not as if he's been taking things easy at this Vuelta or that he struggles to hold top form.
    If things look to be going his way, I'd say take bird in hand, since regardless of form, anything can happen at a World championships.

Recent history suggests that the best way to prepare for the Worlds is to drop out during the final week of the Vuelta, to give your body time to absorb the load and recover. Going really deep on Friday and Saturday will compromise that.

I thought they brought the Vuelta forward to avoid drop outs?
    In anycase, given that he is supposed to be there for Quintana, I doubt dropping out just before the decisive tests ever an option.
    I guess we will have to see how things develop.
    andyp wrote:
    He won't win either the Vuelta or the Worlds anyway, so it's a moot point.

You took the text right out of my keyboard.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    andyp wrote:
    He won't win either the Vuelta or the Worlds anyway, so it's a moot point.
    So he doesn't need to consider trading another Vuelta win for a last shot at the worlds, as your previous post asserts, if he's going to win neither.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    I think that Valverde can win this. I think he thinks that too.

Would he trade another Vuelta win for a final chance at the world title? Because that's the trade-off he needs to consider.
    Sport doesn't have that degree of certainty though. If a Vuelta win is on offer he should take it. It may weaken his Worlds chance, but won't exclude them, just as falling back leaves no guarantees of success.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Out of interest, Colombia have named the world's team.

Nairo Quintana (Movistar)
    Rigoberto Uran (EF/Drapac)
    Miguel Ángel López (Astana)
    Sergio e Sebastian Henao (Team Sky)
    Daniel Martinez (EF/Drapac)
    Rodrigo Contreras (EPM)
    Winner Anacona (Movistar)

Any of those names at the top to drop out or take next week easy?
    I do wonder whether the worlds are a factor in the way they are racing, though....
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.