Vuelta 2018, Stage 15: Ribera de Arriba > Lagos de Covadonga. Centenarios - 178,2 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,529
    Uran dropped.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Uran dropped.
    So much for a Colombian clean sweep.
  • Big attack by Peanut. No reaction from the group.
  • DeadCalm
    Allez Thibaut!
  • Korhag wrote:
    Has anybody ever counted how many times Sean Kelly has said 'Push on' in a stage? :lol:

In response to 99% of questions from Carlton, "Yes, well......" (once heard cannot be missed again)
  • DeadCalm
    Yates doesn't realise that he is on the same team (my man) as Pinot.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    Quintana makes me cringe.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    My dog has more racing sense than Quintana.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • TheBigBean
    So Pinot is leading, Lopez is chasing and Valverde, Quintana and Yates are behind in another group.

Good racing.
  • gsk82 wrote:
    Impossible to get excited about him.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Quintana is so dull/thick.
  • I question Quintana's gameplan sometimes.
  • Well done Peanut. Like him a lot.
  • TheBigBean
    Pinot, Lopez, Yates
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    What a chump. Glad he lost even just a couple of seconds
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Quintana - the dullest GC contender of his generation.
  • DeadCalm
    Splendid.
  • Chapeau Pinot.
    Still very, very cagey among the rest.
    Movistar need to re-think the leadership.
    Great work by Valverde for Quintana and he hasn't got it again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Great ride by Pinot and good job by Yates at gap management, appears to have learned a lesson or two in GC rival energy management compared to at the Giro!. He knew he did not need to blast into the red to chase down Lopez when Valverde/Quintana are in tow, still some stages to go, but positive regardless, I suspect he could have chased down Lopez had he wished.

Quintana..... what else is there to say? :lol:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,153
    Korhag wrote:
    Has anybody ever counted how many times Sean Kelly has said 'Push on' in a stage? :lol:

In response to 99% of questions from Carlton, "Yes, well......" (once heard cannot be missed again)

I think it's his polite response when Kirby asks / says something stupid.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Enjoyed seeing Yates have a go at Quintana and the rest, presumably for just having no racing nous. It really looked like he was gesturing "come on you lot, make it interesting at least"!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,605
    They can hardly blame a Sky train or power meters.

Just sodding race.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,387
    Interesting to see Yates having a go. Quintana moved alongside for about 10m then went back to sitting in the wheels.
    At least Valverde is willing to chase things down, but Quintana does naff all.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    gsk82 wrote:
    Impossible to get excited about him.
    Like I said yesterday, riding like a loser. Really lame riding from Quintana today, he was just looking around like a f*cking lemon every time anyone attacked. He won't close a gap or work for anyone else, pathetic.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    DeadCalm wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Did the people picking Quintana for Covadonga actually watch today's stage?

If Nairo gets to the finish with the GC group he won't win. He'll do a rubbish attack and then give up.
    Like he did two years ago on the same finish?

He'll probably go and win now I've been trash talking him.

But he hasn't looked very inspiring.
    Yeah so I was 100% correct, as it turns out.

Based on watching the stage yesterday, picking Quintana for today was a mistake.

He had quite good odds so it would have been worth laying a bet - free money.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    El Ratface is the most pathetic pro racer I've had the misfortune of watching. Can't stand the guy.

Great to see Yates making his feelings known.

Also a great attack and win from Pinot.
  • People tend to read a lot into a GC rider's attitude or mentality by virtue of them not riding in a swashbuckling and attacking style. I think most of the time it boils down to them not having the legs, which they can't really do much about. People should think about what they post while they're pushing on a climb themselves and for all the will to endure pain in the world their legs won't allow them to push on any quicker.

Anyone think Quintana lost seconds across the line because he is dull or thick? He just looked spent to me.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    People tend to read a lot into a GC rider's attitude or mentality by virtue of them not riding in a swashbuckling and attacking style. I think most of the time it boils down to them not having the legs, which they can't really do much about. People should think about what they post while they're pushing on a climb themselves and for all the will to endure pain in the world their legs won't allow them to push on any quicker.

Anyone think Quintana lost seconds across the line because he is dull or thick? He just looked spent to me.

So you're saying that 95% of the time he doesn't have the legs? I don't think so. He needs to man up and start doing more than just sitting on wheels.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    People tend to read a lot into a GC rider's attitude or mentality by virtue of them not riding in a swashbuckling and attacking style. I think most of the time it boils down to them not having the legs, which they can't really do much about. People should think about what they post while they're pushing on a climb themselves and for all the will to endure pain in the world their legs won't allow them to push on any quicker.
    The problem though is that Quintana is generally portrayed as a swashbuckling attacking rider - an antidote to the boring Froome - despite any supporting evidence. This is largely down to him being Colombian
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bobmcstuff

Quintana is not and has never been an explosive rider. If he waits till the line he is always going to lose seconds, like he did today.

I think he does have the legs, he has looked very comfortable in the group and following wheels. He needs to stop looking around and hesitating, and actually commit to an attack. He's got a good engine and if he actually put to it there's very few riders in this race who would be able to live with it. Maybe Yates, maybe Lopez, but we don't know because Quintana hasn't tried to find out.

But if he leaves it till the line with a bunch, especially riders like Yates who are pretty punchy, he's going to lose out every time

I think Millar made the point in the highlights, he's got used to resting on Valverde to close things down and once Valverde isn't there he just looks around.