Velo Birmingham & Midlands May 12 2019

135678

Posts

  • bigmitch41bigmitch41 Posts: 689
    Capt Slog wrote:
    The last update was in March. I get more from RideLondon, and the last time I did that was 2017!

    I'm just having a look at the route. There doesn't seem to have the big hills like Leith in it, but looks undulating.

    I'd like to see a decent profile of it if anyone has one. The one they provide isn't great.
    I've just created this, hopefully the link will work:

    https://www.strava.com/routes/18095479


    There really are no major climbs to speak of, the section at the start from Nether Whitacre up to Hurley is a regular ride of mine and it's just a long drag really, nothing to worry about.


    Thanks for this, ive copied it to my routes :D
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,120
    I've just created this, hopefully the link will work:

    https://www.strava.com/routes/18095479


    There really are no major climbs to speak of, the section at the start from Nether Whitacre up to Hurley is a regular ride of mine and it's just a long drag really, nothing to worry about.

    Thanks
    The older I get, the better I was.

    Call it "booty" if you like, to me it's still a fat @rse.
  • Looking at the route it’s created, it seems to have gone a bit bananas at a couple of points towards the end, and I think the finish is wrong. But it should be enough to give you a better idea of the gradients along the route.
  • Just got my start time - Green 5 one of the last ones ffs
  • RossoCorso34RossoCorso34 Posts: 201
    Does everybody who has entered have their wave number? I don't, but all the guys I'm riding with have their numbers.
  • david7mdavid7m Posts: 553
    Just got my start time - Green 5 one of the last ones ffs

    More potential for overtaking ;) I know it's not a race :p
  • david7mdavid7m Posts: 553
    theboyfold wrote:
    Does everybody who has entered have their wave number? I don't, but all the guys I'm riding with have their numbers.

    Got email today, check your spam?
  • RossoCorso34RossoCorso34 Posts: 201
    david7m wrote:
    theboyfold wrote:
    Does everybody who has entered have their wave number? I don't, but all the guys I'm riding with have their numbers.

    Got email today, check your spam?
    Yeah, nothing there either. Will give it 24 hours before I chase it.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,142
    david7m wrote:
    theboyfold wrote:
    Does everybody who has entered have their wave number? I don't, but all the guys I'm riding with have their numbers.

    Got email today, check your spam?

    all the start times, rider numbers are published here
    https://www.velobirmingham.com/wp/wp-co ... 100-v2.pdf

    Also tcx & gpx files too.
    https://www.velobirmingham.com/wp/wp-co ... -Final.tcx
    https://www.velobirmingham.com/wp/wp-co ... -Final.gpx
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,120
    Got mine today too. I didn't notice it in the inbox until just now.
    The older I get, the better I was.

    Call it "booty" if you like, to me it's still a fat @rse.
  • bigmitch41bigmitch41 Posts: 689
    Purple 2, 7.35am start and last away for me.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • The (presumably) slower riders doing the 40 miler are away before the vast majority of the 100 mile riders.

    That’s madness, surely?
  • whyamiherewhyamihere Posts: 7,141
    The (presumably) slower riders doing the 40 miler are away before the vast majority of the 100 mile riders.

    That’s madness, surely?
    I would suspect that it's to make sure that the majority of them actually make it to Coventry... If we go with the idea that it's the less experienced cyclists doing the 40 mile option, that may be the furthest they've ever cycled. It looks like they're intending to wrap up in Coventry at 13:30, so it makes sense to give people enough time to make it there averaging under 10mph. I'm in Green 1, so hopefully I can clear any slow riders relatively early on.
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,142
    The (presumably) slower riders doing the 40 miler are away before the vast majority of the 100 mile riders.

    That’s madness, surely?

    its closed roads, there should be plenty of room for you to overtake if you need to and are sensible about it, remember alot of the people doing this are just hoping to get to the finish, its not the UCI hour record ride for them.
  • david7mdavid7m Posts: 553
    awavey wrote:
    The (presumably) slower riders doing the 40 miler are away before the vast majority of the 100 mile riders.

    That’s madness, surely?

    its closed roads, there should be plenty of room for you to overtake if you need to and are sensible about it, remember alot of the people doing this are just hoping to get to the finish, its not the UCI hour record ride for them.

    I have been warned about people cutting across to get to food station/toilet without looking over shoulder, plus it snarls up on hills and difficult to pass.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,120
    david7m wrote:
    awavey wrote:
    The (presumably) slower riders doing the 40 miler are away before the vast majority of the 100 mile riders.

    That’s madness, surely?

    its closed roads, there should be plenty of room for you to overtake if you need to and are sensible about it, remember alot of the people doing this are just hoping to get to the finish, its not the UCI hour record ride for them.

    I have been warned about people cutting across to get to food station/toilet without looking over shoulder, plus it snarls up on hills and difficult to pass.

    You can get anyone doing something stupid, even people who look like they should know better.

    The last time I did RideLondon, I was trundling along a very quiet bit and was near the far left of the road, the sort of position you'd normally be in if the roads were open. There was a bloke on the pavement who was standing with his back to the road and his bike facing the 'wrong way'. He just suddenly picked it up and swung it clockwise round onto the road, not realising that it came way into the carriageway and at around bar height, never looked of course. I just missed it but it was exciting :roll: :lol:
    The older I get, the better I was.

    Call it "booty" if you like, to me it's still a fat @rse.
  • chippykchippyk Posts: 529
    Capt Slog wrote:
    The last update was in March. I get more from RideLondon, and the last time I did that was 2017!

    I'm just having a look at the route. There doesn't seem to have the big hills like Leith in it, but looks undulating.

    I'd like to see a decent profile of it if anyone has one. The one they provide isn't great.
    I've just created this, hopefully the link will work:

    https://www.strava.com/routes/18095479


    There really are no major climbs to speak of, the section at the start from Nether Whitacre up to Hurley is a regular ride of mine and it's just a long drag really, nothing to worry about.

    I’ve been Nether Whitacre to Hurley dozens of times and wouldn’t even call it a long drag. There are worse.
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,120
    chippyk wrote:

    I’ve been Nether Whitacre to Hurley dozens of times and wouldn’t even call it a long drag. There are worse.

    Some of them towards the end look like they are going to be a test for tired legs.

    Packhorse and Cockhill lane are a couple I've noticed 80+ miles in, but I'm sure there are others
    The older I get, the better I was.

    Call it "booty" if you like, to me it's still a fat @rse.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 23,879
    There are no climbs... I live in the area and I never use the 36 ring at the front... for that I need to go down to the Cotswolds

    In fact, I only recently found out my front derailleur had seized for lack of use... :lol:
  • capt_slogcapt_slog Posts: 3,120
    There are no climbs... I live in the area and I never use the 36 ring at the front... for that I need to go down to the Cotswolds

    In fact, I only recently found out my front derailleur had seized for lack of use... :lol:

    I don't have your legs, Ugo. I live where it's quite flat and at 60 years old, I can find hills a bit of challenge. :D
    The older I get, the better I was.

    Call it "booty" if you like, to me it's still a fat @rse.
  • chippykchippyk Posts: 529
    There are no climbs... I live in the area and I never use the 36 ring at the front... for that I need to go down to the Cotswolds

    In fact, I only recently found out my front derailleur had seized for lack of use... :lol:

    Something like Kenelms Pass will get me working a bit and there are plenty of short steep ramps, none on the course I can think of. Couple of stiff climbs near Lowsonford if I’m on the way back from the Cotswolds, or Ingon Lane to Snitterfield, normally ok but with say 80 miles and three or four big Cotswolds climbs in your legs they’re unwelcome.

    I used to enjoy the Shakespeare 100 with Saintbury.

    I once got a bollocking from WMP for getting about 50mph up dropping in to Halesowen from the top of Hagley Rd, out of Halesowen towards Brum or Oldbury, that’s a tough ridge to get up when you’re tired
  • galatzogalatzo Posts: 1,274
    I'm in Purple 2 - the last of the last off unfortunately.
    I'm wondering whether to turn up just before the start and avoid the early car park queues and waiting around for 2hrs.
    It'll only take me about 40 mins to get there so allowing 20 mins for parking and faffing time I'm thinking of leaving at 06.45 rather than 05.15ish.
    Anyone know Brum parking well and got any thoughts on this ?
    Cheers
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • chippykchippyk Posts: 529
    galatzo wrote:
    I'm in Purple 2 - the last of the last off unfortunately.
    I'm wondering whether to turn up just before the start and avoid the early car park queues and waiting around for 2hrs.
    It'll only take me about 40 mins to get there so allowing 20 mins for parking and faffing time I'm thinking of leaving at 06.45 rather than 05.15ish.
    Anyone know Brum parking well and got any thoughts on this ?
    Cheers

    You might find some on road parking around Aston University, Newhall St and St Paul’s square, Digbeth or off Hagley Road. If you don’t know Birmingham I’d suggest a multi storey to avoid a dodgy area or getting lost.

    Mailbox parking is 24hr but will be £15-20, Bullring parking won’t be open early on a Sunday, there’s Dale End NCP, Snow Hill Multi Storey, there is one at Paradise Circus, Town Hall, there was one near the Children’s Hospital, there are others, some NCP, some council.

    Here is a list of corporation car parks.

    https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/citycentrecarparks

    It’s an early start so not all of them will be open at that time unless the organisers have arranged it. When the shops are open it can be a right censored to park in Birmingham centre. With a few thousand others for the velo and road closures it might be busy Sunday morning too.

    If I were doing it, I’d cycle in and make it a 120 mile day, or get dropped off. If I had to park in a City I wasn’t familiar with, I’d make sure I knew where I was parking and leave a bit longer than 20 minutes to park, fanny about and get to the start, but I’m an epic faffer and would rather spend half hour waiting than be late. There is a lot of building work in Birmingham and some roads are closed, Paradise Circus and some roads near the new HS2 station site had signs up saying they were closed during May when I was there last weekend.

    Hope that helps, if not, sorry.
  • kingrollokingrollo Posts: 3,138
    galatzo wrote:
    I'm in Purple 2 - the last of the last off unfortunately.
    I'm wondering whether to turn up just before the start and avoid the early car park queues and waiting around for 2hrs.
    It'll only take me about 40 mins to get there so allowing 20 mins for parking and faffing time I'm thinking of leaving at 06.45 rather than 05.15ish.
    Anyone know Brum parking well and got any thoughts on this ?
    Cheers

    Have you got anyone who can drop you in ?

    Why don't you drive to somewhere like the botanical gardens - park up on the street - its a 10 minute tootle to the start then - I am not doing it this time due to a back injury - but that was where I dropped off last time - depends how comfortable you are leaving you car on the street - getting into Birmingham centre could be a bit of faff - where are you coming from...
  • bigmitch41bigmitch41 Posts: 689
    Purple 2 7.30am start time for an 8am roll out, we are a team of 4 heading over from the Isle of Man on Friday, looking forward to it...……….. hopefully the weather plays ball :)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • lettingthedaysgobylettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,278
    Anyone here in Green 5? My riding buddy has dropped out some I’m looking for anyone to share the work with on the way round!
  • lettingthedaysgobylettingthedaysgoby Posts: 1,278
    As for parking - I’m a B’ham resident and can confirm that driving into the centre at the moment is a nightmare. Find somewhere a few miles out and have a warm up ride in would be my advice.

    In fact - I live approx 5 miles north of the centre. Can’t offer any off street parking, but if anyone wants to park in my street and ride in together (assuming similar ish start times) drop me a PM.
  • galatzogalatzo Posts: 1,274
    kingrollo wrote:
    galatzo wrote:
    I'm in Purple 2 - the last of the last off unfortunately.
    I'm wondering whether to turn up just before the start and avoid the early car park queues and waiting around for 2hrs.
    It'll only take me about 40 mins to get there so allowing 20 mins for parking and faffing time I'm thinking of leaving at 06.45 rather than 05.15ish.
    Anyone know Brum parking well and got any thoughts on this ?
    Cheers

    Have you got anyone who can drop you in ?

    Why don't you drive to somewhere like the botanical gardens - park up on the street - its a 10 minute tootle to the start then - I am not doing it this time due to a back injury - but that was where I dropped off last time - depends how comfortable you are leaving you car on the street - getting into Birmingham center could be a bit of faff - where are you coming from...

    Coming from Derby, maybe more like 50 mins but shouldn't take long at that time.
    Jewellery Quarter looks a good option as pretty much on my route in but not too close to the start.

    @BigMitch41 I'll keep an eye for your gang, shouldn't be hard to spot, 4 fella's ech with 3 legs :wink:

    Cheers all
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • kingrollokingrollo Posts: 3,138
    galatzo wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    galatzo wrote:
    I'm in Purple 2 - the last of the last off unfortunately.
    I'm wondering whether to turn up just before the start and avoid the early car park queues and waiting around for 2hrs.
    It'll only take me about 40 mins to get there so allowing 20 mins for parking and faffing time I'm thinking of leaving at 06.45 rather than 05.15ish.
    Anyone know Brum parking well and got any thoughts on this ?
    Cheers

    Have you got anyone who can drop you in ?

    Why don't you drive to somewhere like the botanical gardens - park up on the street - its a 10 minute tootle to the start then - I am not doing it this time due to a back injury - but that was where I dropped off last time - depends how comfortable you are leaving you car on the street - getting into Birmingham center could be a bit of faff - where are you coming from...

    Coming from Derby, maybe more like 50 mins but shouldn't take long at that time.
    Jewellery Quarter looks a good option as pretty much on my route in but not too close to the start.

    @BigMitch41 I'll keep an eye for your gang, shouldn't be hard to spot, 4 fella's ech with 3 legs :wink:

    Cheers all

    google the botanical gardens edgbaston - plenty of off road parking about a 10 minute cycle to broad street.
  • bigmitch41bigmitch41 Posts: 689
    galatzo wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    galatzo wrote:
    I'm in Purple 2 - the last of the last off unfortunately.
    I'm wondering whether to turn up just before the start and avoid the early car park queues and waiting around for 2hrs.
    It'll only take me about 40 mins to get there so allowing 20 mins for parking and faffing time I'm thinking of leaving at 06.45 rather than 05.15ish.
    Anyone know Brum parking well and got any thoughts on this ?
    Cheers

    Have you got anyone who can drop you in ?

    Why don't you drive to somewhere like the botanical gardens - park up on the street - its a 10 minute tootle to the start then - I am not doing it this time due to a back injury - but that was where I dropped off last time - depends how comfortable you are leaving you car on the street - getting into Birmingham center could be a bit of faff - where are you coming from...

    Coming from Derby, maybe more like 50 mins but shouldn't take long at that time.
    Jewellery Quarter looks a good option as pretty much on my route in but not too close to the start.

    @BigMitch41 I'll keep an eye for your gang, shouldn't be hard to spot, 4 fella's ech with 3 legs :wink:

    Cheers all


    3 legs and one arm in my case :lol:
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
Sign In or Register to comment.