On 24 hour Lock Down

13»

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    FishFish wrote:
    I doubt it. But I'm sober all of the time.
    You're also an idiot all of the time.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    FishFish wrote:
    .... I'm sober all of the time.

What is your secret?

I just don't drink so it follows.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Veronese68 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

It heartens me to know that I've got to you! :D
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • veronese68
    FishFish wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    FishFish wrote:
    It heartens me to know that I've got to you! :D
    Aah, poor little fish² sorry to disappoint but you really haven't, I just like to point out your failings as a person. It actually cheers me up to hear someone as pitiful as you bragging about how clever they are, yet you claim to have worked so presumably are trying to make out you are above school age. This forum is a distraction and a bit of fun, laughing at you is part of that as nothing you have ever written can be taken seriously.
    Now swim along you sad sack.
  • inkj
    inkj Posts: 93
    So......

In the end I took out the insurance through the guys you get a discount with Cycle Uk [even though I'm a member not of them but BC]

As even with the BC discount the BC affiliated company offer was worse… than having no discount with the company that through Cycle Uk you do get a discount.

So if you are with Cycling UK – it’s a no brainer to use their ‘discounted offer’ insurance firm

Why is it better?

You automatically get £500 cycle accessories cover, and clothing & headgear £500, and cycle boxes £500… and replacement hire, family cover, PL 1 million… etc. Whereas you have to pay more for the BC one for any of those.

So, with this one – if my bike gets stolen – the locks that were broken into are covered… cool.

Total for a year was £56

With the BC one [HSBC] it’s £59 for less cover

Right I need to plan how heavy I want the second lock to be… and I need to train from my Brighton ride to the cinema…

Thanks for your help/abuse – everyone

x
  • veronese68
    Inkj wrote:

x

Happy to be of service, now stop thinking and get out and ride.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Sounds decent, and will give you the much needed peace of mind now.

Good to see we haven't scared you off too. New members tend not to stick around long once they get the BikeRadar Baptism of Fire :lol:

As for locks, don't go too crazy. This is a good deal...

https://www.evanscycles.com/onguard-bul ... e-EV344550
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I've got a great movie for you and the cinema anyway - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040522/
  • inkj
    Fenix wrote:
    I've got a great movie for you and the cinema anyway - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040522/

That's why I love the Sally Hawkes line [in Happy Go Lucky] whole films have been based on a bike being stolen [including PewWee Herman's] ... she get's hers nicked and just shrugs her shoulders,

'I didn't even get a chance to say goodbye'

Hmm, maybe she had it insured and the others didn't

x
  • inkj
    CitizenLee wrote:
    As for locks, don't go too crazy. This is a good deal...

https://www.evanscycles.com/onguard-bul ... e-EV344550

I only realised that the 'loop bit' doesn't have it's own lock [on the Abus version I have bought, and on all the others that have both] - so the reality of the loops is.... you still only have the D-Lock on the bike

As if anyone cracks the D Lock - the loop you have is no longer attached

So it's not extra security for the bike

I get it now, that it's just there to secure the 'other' wheel

But before that penny dropped - I thought it was having a second 'lock' on the bike...

Yeah... I'm pondering what lock to get....

I sort of don't mind the extra weight too much - as ten years ago [when I cycled a bit] - I always filled my panniers up with other people's stuff, so I would have the weight/handicap... hmm... maybe I just need to attach some helium ballons to the panniers and I can put anything in them, and the bike will weigh the same
  • inkj
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Inkj wrote:

x

Happy to be of service, now stop thinking and get out and ride.

Well......

That would be tough, I don't have a bike.

No, it's not been stolen.

I collect on Wednesday, along with over 1k worth of accessories... yes a Garmin that costs more than the bike... shush about that.

The most stupid thing, is the clipless pedals, and shoes.... as I have never used them. I am so falling off the bike before I even start the Guildford run - and breaking my hip... maybe I got the insurance on the wrong thing

It was raining heavily about an hour ago... I really wish I had my bike as I would loved to have gone out in it.

So.......

Mudguards

The Topeak pannier holder on the back acts like a mudguard...

... is it common to get one for the front. As I guess it just spits up puddles and mud otherwise [?] I don't remember if I had one on the old bike..... hmm
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'd probably just go with trainers and normal pedals for at least a few days until you're used to the bike.

Starting cycling again and doing it clipless is probably a recipe for disaster.

You can get a smaller clip on mudguard that will stop a bit of spray without a risk of clogging up.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • All that gold rated stuff is worthless, it's just marketing bs, pay some money to thatham or equlivant and get the rights to put a little rating on your product.

The theives use tools that will break d-locks and chains in seconds. It's pretty much be prepaired and expect it could be stolen and have the right insurance to cover it.

1 meter almax chain would be my personal choice but then again they will still cut through it with a angle grinder, maybe it's best to ride a bike that looks like a shitter, no decals, branding etc
  • Dave85
    Dave85 Posts: 18
    I bought a £40ish D Lock with my cyclescheme money, it will probably last a minute or so longer than a cheaper one but I didn't realise how pointless it was until I got it home and looked it up.

I feel I've gone a bit overboard with mine and have a 2 meter chain anchored to the garage wall with a D Lock with the cable attached.

I probably should've just paid an extra £50 and got myself a reasonable cctv kit...

I went down the route of paying for bike insurance on it's own rather than on my house insurance (why wouldn't you have that if you have a house!!). The robbing bstards were trying to charge me an admin fee to add the bike to the contents insurance and then upping the monthly cost by a little bit but overall it worked out more than getting a one year insurance out for the bike with all the added perks that come with it. When my house insurance renewal is due and I shop around I'll just add it to the contents insurance.
  • inkj
    I have two Abus Gold Secure D-Locks, one with a cheap chain attached

The abus granit xplus 540 d-lock - is meant to be one of the most secure [longest to break in] D-Locks in tests

Seems to take over 2 mins to get into [if the thief has the right tools]

So in theory it would take a noisy drill/grinder and 3+ Minutes to get in [to both D-locks]

But... the guys doing the tests are probably not as used to breaking in as thieves... so they may do it much quicker

I see it more as a 'don't bother' - 'there are easier bikes, that are worth more, to take - so leave this one'

My plan now is, have the 1 year bike insurance. Then I may not renew that. As by then the bike will be suitably muddy/scratched that the two locks will be even more of a deterent... I mean who wants to waste their time to angle grind their way to a battered and bruised, last years model - Halford's bike? Also after a year - I will know the few places I will be locking up the bike and be more comfortable on those places being 'safe'... or 'not safe'

But like Dave85 - I have been shocked at how poor locks [of any kind] perform. I presumed that locks actually work... as when you suddenly realise that even the best ones only give you a minute or so... you think, that the lock companies are selling a really strange sense of comfort with their top of the range 'gold secure' Level 10 [out of 10] security locks.

Yikes
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Inkj did you ever fulfill your dream of cycling to Brighton and going to the cinema ?
  • Dave85
    Dave85 Posts: 18
    Dave85 wrote:
    I bought a £40ish D Lock with my cyclescheme money, it will probably last a minute or so longer than a cheaper one but I didn't realise how pointless it was until I got it home and looked it up.

I feel I've gone a bit overboard with mine and have a 2 meter chain anchored to the garage wall with a D Lock with the cable attached.

I probably should've just paid an extra £50 and got myself a reasonable cctv kit...

I went down the route of paying for bike insurance on it's own rather than on my house insurance (why wouldn't you have that if you have a house!!). The robbing bstards were trying to charge me an admin fee to add the bike to the contents insurance and then upping the monthly cost by a little bit but overall it worked out more than getting a one year insurance out for the bike with all the added perks that come with it. When my house insurance renewal is due and I shop around I'll just add it to the contents insurance.

A couple of nights ago the bike was stolen.

The 2 meter chain appears to have just been snipped off with no effort and the D Lock stolen with the bike.

Thankfully I took that insurance out but now the wife is very paranoid about the house being burgled as we were obviously not well enough equipped to deal with this.

We now have bolts and padlocks going up on the external gate, a motion detecting alarm and cctv in the garage, 3 motion detection spotlights in the garden along with a 4 camera cctv kit going up around the house.

So yeah, locks seem pretty pointless to me. I've bought another one for £30 which the bike shop recommended as more difficult to break through as it's dual layered and not just a chain but he said it won't make much of a difference as if they didn't wake us up last time and they come back they'll only do the same again.

I dread to think what the insurance will go up to next time though.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    We lost three bikes just after Christmas, but they weren't secured to anything other than being in a locked garage. Happily, the AA Home Insurance policy had £3000 out-buildings cover and they paid up rapidly without any quibble. Claim went in Wednesday night, Thursday mid-day had discussed the detail with the claims handler, Friday 5pm got a call from Evans to say that the directly purchased replacement for one of the bikes would be ready to collect on Saturday. One other bike was fully funded (at a good new for old settlement) with a Halfords voucher, and the other was cash settled. In the end we got 3 brand new bikes, as good or better than the ones stolen, and managed to be canny with the buying to end up with the £200 voluntary excess being covered by savings on our purchases.

We've now secured all the bikes with D-locks in the garage to fixed points of the garage building, added a sign to indicate there's an alarm in the garage and installed a £40 CCTV set up (which also allows us to spot badgers digging up the garden).

And then just accept that it could all happen again.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    I know I'm replying to an older post, but I'd like to reassure people about this:
    Inkj wrote:
    But... the guys doing the tests are probably not as used to breaking in as thieves... so they may do it much quicker

I don't work with bike locks, but in a laboratory where colleagues test the security of windows and doors. Firstly, I can assure you that the technicians get plenty of practice every day attacking locks with a variety of techniques. Secondly, as we are working with the manufacturers of the locks and hardware, they share technical details with us that a casual thief would have to acquire by trial and error. Finally, all test labs of this type would be audited at least annually to ensure their methods are up to scratch.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp