Nice frameset please...

13»

Comments

• andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I went through similar thought process To to last and no paint to chip or carbon to crack.
    I looked at j.ack and enigma custom builds researched and researched looked at seven moot as well, I think at the time Mason hadn't got the Aspect, however I looked at their steel Resolute and few other steel steeds.
    In the end I went for the Mason Bokeh mainly to have the versatility of wider tyres and option to go even wider with 650b wheels (which I haven't got as yet)
    I really like it does everything I wanted comfort and quick as well as high quality 4 season as commute year round light off-road and blue trails with the kids a bit of xc too.
    Yes the only niggle is the few paint chips, but each one tells a story and I do have touch up paint to touch up
    It still brings me joy to ride after 6 months or so still have an itch now for a summer best carbon or carbon wheels on the Mason but with rack n guards I don't see point.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    rdt said:

I've taken another look at the Mason Definition, and it does tick plenty of boxes. With a Di2 disc build I might well struggle to match (never mind beat) the current bike's weight, but might be possible with some lighter carbon wheels. Not a critical issue. Sensible thing would be to give Mason a visit and ride one, but I'm nowhere near so means a big job breaking out. Hmmm...

I'm the OP on this thread, so an update first: early this year I bought a Definition 2 frameset, which in current guise has been built up with GRX Di2 2x and some light Hunt carbon wheels. Super happy with it :smiley: , just the ticket for me and the job in hand.

Now, I'm interested in a second frameset that'll live in a different part of the country but be used for a similar-ish job to the Mason (road riding, commonly on crappy surfaced back lanes, sometimes a bit rougher) and with the same boxes to be ticked as in my original post:
    - flat-mount discs, thru axles, internal cable routing, English threaded bottom bracket
    - clearance for 32mm tyres
    - the Definition 2 fits me a treat, so something similar-ish geometery-wise
    - non-gaudy appearance, not an advertising billboard
    - probably carbon (I have Ti mentally pencilled-in for a different future project ;) )
    - budget of say 1.25k; NB I already have an R7000 groupset for it so I'm after frameset-only
    - not in any rush, so happy to wait until the industry restocks, eg. next spring!

Any suggestions? Cheers.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    On-One Free Ranger might fit the bill. Ticks all your boxes except maybe the "non-gaudy appearance"

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FTOOFR/on-one-free-ranger-frameset
  • joe_totale-2
    joe_totale-2 Posts: 1,333
    edited August 2020
    A Bowman Weald is well under budget and would suit all your criteria aside from being aluminium and not carbon.

• rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Thanks for the suggestions, both of which I'll decline as not being quite what I'm after. The On One though has me thinking about a Chinese import, if I could be bothered with the hassle of researching it and taking on the risk, which are a big ask. Maybe something like this from Workswell, as an example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000069824503.html
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Good luck with the Chinese import. A read through this post might give you pause for thought.

https://forum.bikeradar.com/discussion/13109951/hongfu-frame-issue#latest