bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Any chance Froome will ride?
    Surely he won't do 5 in a row.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I'd say zero chance. He wants a 5th Tour and everything will be geared toward that between now and next July.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,528
    But Sky believe riding the Vuelta is good preparation for the tour, and managing a podium in every GT in a year would be an impressive feat.

Alternatively he might fancy a rest and a holiday.

Plus he seems to quite like it given how many times he has ridden it.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    TheBigBean wrote:
    But Sky believe riding the Vuelta is good preparation for the tour, and managing a podium in every GT in a year would be an impressive feat.

Alternatively he might fancy a rest and a holiday.

Plus he seems to quite like it given how many times he has ridden it.
    I'd guess he won't but Sky did make a big point of the benefits of riding the Vuelta for the following year, so who knows.
    If he misses it, it will be the first time since 2013.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    I think Movistar deserve a bit more love, Valverde was never coming to ride for himself, Quintana was below par but crashed just as he was showing some form and Landa hasn't tried to hide his disappointment but at least went all in on the Tourmalet stage. It hasn't worked for them but they haven't sat back - they contributed to the race - they just need to hire some better coaches.

Yep. I was quite impressed with Valverde's willingness to work for the team, given his usual approach.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    TheBigBean wrote:
    I'd say zero chance. He wants a 5th Tour and everything will be geared toward that between now and next July.
    Plus he’s about to be a dad again
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Looking at history, only domestiques seem to be able to complete 3 x 3 week GTs in a year. No one has achieved 3 top tens in the same year since the Vuelta extended from 2 weeks to 3 (and only two riders ever did before that). Has Froome ever done all 3 in a year before? He's not on the form he was at the end of last year's TdF.

David de la Cruz o lead? He did finish top 10 at the Vuelta in 2016.
  • They should chuck Egan in
    the Vuelta is not a race for a youngster and not one who will be doing his second GT in a row
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Can Sky win a GT without Froome in the team?

He's been in every team that they've won a GT with. And when they took a serious tilt at the Giro without him failed quite badly.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    Can Sky win a GT without Froome in the team?

He's been in every team that they've won a GT with. And when they took a serious tilt at the Giro without him failed quite badly.
    Or Wout Poels. Poels has done five Grand Tours for Sky and they won all five of them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    OK folks, it's me. I'm going to lead Sky at the Vuelta.

SDB has decided that the next step in revolutionising pro-cycling is to have a 36 year-old woman lead the team at a GT.

I have been picked for the Vuelta due to my affinity for a good paella and my ability to order a round of beers in the local language.

Wish me luck. I will be toking on my inhaler quite regularly so expect the inevitable puffed-up scandal.

The white kit makes me look fat though so if you can all put in a quiet word for a return to the more slimming on the boobs black that would be great.

Ta.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    inseine wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Plus he’s about to be a dad again

Yes he said that he thought he deserved a holiday and mentioned the baby, maybe partly explains his relaxed demeanour, I'd certainly be taking the rest of the season off.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    Would love for it to be Kwiatkowski
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • Vierville
    Vierville Posts: 5
    gsk82 wrote:
    Who else will be there?

Porte
    Quintana
    Landa?
    Nibali
    Pinot

Not sure if Nibali will be fit following his broken vertebra?

Would Sky consider Wout Poels as main rider for the Vuelta? He's got the climbing skills.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Vierville wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:
    Who else will be there?

Porte
    Quintana
    Landa?
    Nibali
    Pinot

Not sure if Nibali will be fit following his broken vertebra?

Would Sky consider Wout Poels as main rider for the Vuelta? He's got the climbing skills.
    He's ridden the Giro and Tour though, might be a bit much to ask to get him to lead at the Vuelta!
  • M.R.M. wrote:
    he has no interest in grand tours
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    M.R.M. wrote:

I thought Brailsford mentioned him as a possible GC rider on Eurosport, I couldn't swear to it and haven't watched it back, anyone else? Quite an interesting interview though Brailsford is oddly ott with expressive hand gestures - reminded me of politicians like Blair wonder if he's had some kind of coaching on that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

SDB has decided that the next step in revolutionising pro-cycling is to have a 36 year-old woman lead the team at a GT.

I have been picked for the Vuelta due to my affinity for a good paella and my ability to order a round of beers in the local language.

Wish me luck. I will be toking on my inhaler quite regularly so expect the inevitable puffed-up scandal.

The white kit makes me look fat though so if you can all put in a quiet word for a return to the more slimming on the boobs black that would be great.

Ta.

All white skinsuit is what I'm hearing. And don't try "leaving it in the truck". It didn't work for Tom.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    mrfpb wrote:

Ta.

All white skinsuit is what I'm hearing. And don't try "leaving it in the truck". It didn't work for Tom.

It's not an issue. If AtC insists Stannard rides then she can just hide behind him ad nobody will ever see her *strategic Zubeldia*
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • adr82
    M.R.M. wrote:
    I thought Brailsford mentioned him as a possible GC rider on Eurosport, I couldn't swear to it and haven't watched it back, anyone else? Quite an interesting interview though Brailsford is oddly ott with expressive hand gestures - reminded me of politicians like Blair wonder if he's had some kind of coaching on that.
    He managed 11th on GC in the 2013 Tour riding for OPQS, struggling on the tougher mountain days but otherwise pretty solid from what I remember. OK he was almost 20 mins down by the end but the time gaps were rather large that year! Given he's a good TTer and his success in the mountain domestique role over the last couple of years, he might have a good chance at a top 10 if he really went for it and the route wasn't too MTF-heavy. Still doesn't seem a likely choice for Sky to make though, classics + GT domestique seems to work for him.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    He ought to be a 5 star favourite for worlds this year as well, so no idea if the Vuelta GC is a hinderance for that or not. Probably is. Probably better to ride the Vuelta for training and going for worlds + Lombardia.

I think he could win a GT where the competition are riders like Aru, Lady Garden, Kruiswijk and Mollema etc.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

Ta.

*furiously starts looking for flights to Spain*
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    I'm guessing the team will look something like this:

De La Cruz
    Sergio Henao
    TGH
    Lopez
    Puccio
    Kiryienka
    Knees
    Stannard
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    andyp wrote:
    They should chuck Egan in

Two GTs in a season at 21 is too much. He'd be burnt out by the time he's 25.

I've always sort of wondered about this idea. If someone rode it without pressure and without having to be at the sharp end all the time, for experience, would it really wreck them? Very different to being a leader though.

As for who Sky should aim for, how raced out is Kwiatkowski?

Problem is, he'd probably need Kwiatkowski to ride for him.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    I've just reminded myself what the Vuelta is about. Stage 19 is described as "Flat" on the website. Finishes with a 13.2km climb at 7% average.
  • adr82
    I've just reminded myself what the Vuelta is about. Stage 19 is described as "Flat" on the website. Finishes with a 13.2km climb at 7% average.
    "This will be a flat stage with a high-altitude finale" :lol:
    11a7f
  • adr82
    Just going through the rest of the profiles, stage 20 looks like fun!
    9d690
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    What's Bardet up to?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    ddraver wrote:
    What's Bardet up to?

185 cm apparently
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Apparently Movistar are going to the Vuelta with their "trident" again. Will they ever learn?

https://www.velonews.com/2018/07/tour-d ... lta_473581