Who will lead Team Sky at the Vuelta?

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited August 2018 in Pro race
With Team Sky on the verge of adding the Tour title to the Giro while also being the current holders of the 2017 Vuelta title, who should lead Sky's challenge for the 2018 Vuelta?

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    I don't think they have anyone who would be considered a favourite unless Thomas or Froome ride. I can't see that happening.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    De La Cruz would be my guess but possibly Henao. When you look at the Sky roster you realise how many very strong riders they have who seem to have had a light season.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Delete wrong threAD
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Thomas?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Haven't they said that they see it as perfect preparation for the following season?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • curium
    curium Posts: 815
    Nairo Quintana confirms his participation in Vuelta a España
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    curium wrote:

For Sky?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeadCalm
    curium wrote:

For Sky?
    Well, they were hoping for Dumoulin to repeat his sterling work but are worried three GTs in their service could be one too many.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    DeadCalm wrote:
    curium wrote:

For Sky?
    Well, they were hoping for Dumoulin to repeat his sterling work but are worried three GTs in their service could be one too many.

:lol:
    Correlation is not causation.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Who else will be there?

Porte
    Quintana
    Landa?
    Nibali
    Pinot
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • DeadCalm
    How does it tie in with the Worlds? Will it be seen as good preparation?
    Team My Man 2022:

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Has Porte signed on with the new CCC outfit? If so I’d say he’s possibly favourite but it seemed like things weren’t good between him and the team when he quit the Tour. Will Nibali be fit? Could be a race for an outsider as most of the established GT riders are looking jaded or injured.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    Luke Rowe, until they reach climbs on each stage? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Pross wrote:
    Has Porte signed on with the new CCC outfit?
    Thought Porte had signed for Trek Segafredo?
  • They should chuck Egan in
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    They should chuck Egan in

Two GTs in a season at 21 is too much. He'd be burnt out by the time he's 25.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    moscon
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    tim000 wrote:
    moscon

You do know the Vuelta is a bike race, not a boxing match, yeah?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    andyp wrote:
    They should chuck Egan in

Two GTs in a season at 21 is too much. He'd be burnt out by the time he's 25.

I've always sort of wondered about this idea. If someone rode it without pressure and without having to be at the sharp end all the time, for experience, would it really wreck them? Very different to being a leader though.

As for who Sky should aim for, how raced out is Kwiatkowski?
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Kiri
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Could Thomas not ride it with maybe one other as co-leader? Froome often does the Vuelta after the Tour even though the gap between the two races might be less this year, Thomas isn't a youngster and he looked to be relatively fresh this week.

The more interesting question is who leads the Giro and Tour for them next year .
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Thomas? Henao? Poels? Bernal? A few to choose from!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • DeadCalm
    Pross wrote:
    De La Cruz would be my guess but possibly Henao. When you look at the Sky roster you realise how many very strong riders they have who seem to have had a light season.
    Just looked at the roster. It seems big.

Wow, they still have Beñat Intxausti? :shock:
    Team My Man 2022:

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    gsk82 wrote:
    Who else will be there?

Porte
    Quintana
    Landa?
    Nibali
    Pinot

Simon Yates, Aru, MA Lopez.....

Basically the usual smorgasbord of people who did well in the Giro and Tour plus anyone desperately trying to save their season.

Looks like a very open race this year.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Movistar apparently keen on repeating their Tour "success": http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landa-q ... -a-espana/
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    adr82 wrote:
    Movistar apparently keen on repeating their Tour "success": http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/landa-q ... -a-espana/

Punishment ride.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
    adr82 wrote:

Punishment ride.

Maybe Sky could loan them Moscon, in that case.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeadCalm
    adr82 wrote:

Punishment ride.

Maybe Sky could loan them Moscon, in that case.
    :lol:
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I think Movistar deserve a bit more love, Valverde was never coming to ride for himself, Quintana was below par but crashed just as he was showing some form and Landa hasn't tried to hide his disappointment but at least went all in on the Tourmalet stage. It hasn't worked for them but they haven't sat back - they contributed to the race - they just need to hire some better coaches.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,642
    Any chance Froome will ride?