TDF 2018, Stage 14: Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux > Mende 21/07/2018 - 188 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Voekler vs Madiot on French TV talking about Sky.

Madiot "the tour is in danger, cycling is not credible, I understand the people are revolting, we are told for months the dossier is complicated then suddenly just before the tour everything is sorted"
    Voekler "maybe WADA should have said a long time ago that their test is not reliable?"
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    All it's confirmed is that the top three riders are indeed the top three riders.
    I'd put Roglic in there with them as well.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    davidof wrote:
    Voekler vs Madiot on French TV talking about Sky.

Madiot "the tour is in danger, cycling is not credible, I understand the people are revolting, we are told for months the dossier is complicated then suddenly just before the tour everything is sorted"
    Voekler "maybe WADA should have said a long time ago that their test is not reliable?"

I'm definitely not buying any French wine from this vintage.
    The grapes are far too sour.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • davidof
    Bardet "it was brutal again today, I'm knackered"
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    Alaphilippe "I went too late but I couldn't have gone before, I don't know the climb, it is easy to say watching the playback, I was cooked at the finish"
    Instagramme
  • RichN95.
    In 21 seasons of running FdJ, Marc Madiot has only won two races at World Tour level (excluding stages). Egan Bernal who was born in the same year as FdJ already has more WT stage race wins than FdJ.

Madiot tells the French media what they want to hear and blames his failures on other teams so no-one questions whether the failings of French cycling are to do with having dinosaurs like him running the teams. The French treat him like he's cycling's Alex Ferguson, when he's more like its Harry Redknapp.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    I realise I'm going to be bitterly disappointed but I so, so, so hope Tommy D. wins the Tour this year.
  • davidof
    RichN95 wrote:
    In 21 seasons of running FdJ, Marc Madiot has only won two races at World Tour level (excluding stages). Egan Bernal who was born in the same year as FdJ already has more WT stage race wins than FdJ.

Madiot tells the French media what they want to hear and blames his failures on other teams so no-one questions whether the failings of French cycling are to do with having dinosaurs like him running the teams. The French treat him like he's cycling's Alex Ferguson, when he's more like its Harry Redknapp.

I must say the commentators were not really aligned with what he had to say on Sky. Voekler was very annoyed at the way Froome has been treated both by ASO/UCI and the "fans".

Even Madiot has won more WT races than FDJ !
    Instagramme
  • onyourright
    onyourright Posts: 509
    Madiot has an impressive gravitas, though. He wins arguments – and with him, everything is an argument – by force of personality rather than logic or evidence. Basically a bully. Voeckler was brave to stick up to him there (and had the last word to say that Froome was innocent without doubt as proven – a bit of an exaggeration).

Wouldn’t mind seeing that Madiot studio session again if anyone finds it online. I missed most of it.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    Madiot has an impressive gravitas, though. He wins arguments – and with him, everything is an argument – by force of personality rather than logic or evidence. Basically a bully. Voeckler was brave to stick up to him there (and had the last word to say that Froome was innocent without doubt as proven – a bit of an exaggeration).

Wouldn’t mind seeing that Madiot studio session again if anyone finds it online. I missed most of it.
    That can't be right. 'The French are an amorphous blob that all think and do the same. Apparently. Or, at least, as some on here would have you believe.
  • davidof
    DipF_JRWkAALSCP.jpg
    Instagramme
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RichN95 wrote:

Marginal gains for Madiot is playing La Marseillaise down the radio.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • blazing_saddles
    I really should tune into France 2/3 for their end of stage chinwag.
    Voeckler sounds like good value.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    watched the stage after a ride this afternoon . 3 k to go for the GC group and i got "recording ended" NOOOOOOOOOO :(:(:(
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    tim000 wrote:
    watched the stage after a ride this afternoon . 3 k to go for the GC group and i got "recording ended" NOOOOOOOOOO :(:(:(

Me too. Not happy.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Out for the day. Didn't see the stage.

Sagan 4th?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Tom Dumoulin (impressively) doing just enough to hang on in there. Froome looking a bit tired and lacklustre to me. Thomas probably could have gone a bit more I think but didn't want to be seen to be putting anymore time into Froome.

If Froome and Thomas can't break Dumoulin in the Pyrenees then he might just nick it in the TT.
  • RichN95.
    hypster wrote:
    Tom Dumoulin (impressively) doing just enough to hang on in there. Froome looking a bit tired and lacklustre to me. Thomas probably could have gone a bit more I think but didn't want to be seen to be putting anymore time into Froome.

If Froome and Thomas can't break Dumoulin in the Pyrenees then he might just nick it in the TT.
    He's not going to beat Thomas by two minutes in a TT.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    RichN95 wrote:
    Interesting the order the graphics listed the riders in the peloton

It went:

R. Bardet
    T. Dumoulin
    C. Froome
    P. Latour
    G. Thomas
    Yeah, that’s how the alphabet works

Or the French anti-Sky, anti-British agenda

You heard it here first
  • hypster
    RichN95 wrote:
    hypster wrote:

Always assuming he's still 1:50 down at that point.

It's funny, Dumoulin strikes me as being exactly the same sort of rider as Miguel Indurain. Dogged in the mountains and devastating in time trials. Indurain gets a lot of stick for that so why do so many people admire Dumoulin?
  • blazing_saddles
    hypster wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    hypster wrote:

It's funny, Dumoulin strikes me as being exactly the same sort of rider as Miguel Indurain. Dogged in the mountains and devastating in time trials. Indurain gets a lot of stick for that so why do so many people admire Dumoulin?

He only managed to take 49 seconds from Geraint over 40kms in last year's Giro ITT and that was after Thomas had banged up his knee so badly that he then had to quit the race.
    So, as long as Geraint doesn't break, he doesn't need to break Dumoulin.

What time gap were you assuming in order for TD to nick it?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Froome today reminded me of Froome at about 2 weeks into the Vuelta. Which should be ominous for TD and GT.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    why did Bardet have no number on ?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Going back to Tommy V, I suppose it's apt that he's now going on the attack on TV. Does he still stick his tongue out whilst he does so?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    hypster wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    hypster wrote:

Because he looks like Cary Grant.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Looked like Thomas held back a bit there, suppose it might be a tactic of managing his energy over the 3 weeks rather than team orders not to attack if it risks putting Froome in difficulty.

Is Roglic the guy who descends amazingly well ? If he is we might be in for some entertainment on a few of these stages to come if he attacks on the downhill - if it's not him then probably not!
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • hypster wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    hypster wrote:

except in TT's when he is fighting out for the GC win he isn't really devastating in the TT
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Looked like Thomas held back a bit there, suppose it might be a tactic of managing his energy over the 3 weeks rather than team orders not to attack if it risks putting Froome in difficulty.

Is Roglic the guy who descends amazingly well ? If he is we might be in for some entertainment on a few of these stages to come if he attacks on the downhill - if it's not him then probably not!

Yes, especially on skis.
  • hypster
    He only managed to take 49 seconds from Geraint over 40kms in last year's Giro ITT and that was after Thomas had banged up his knee so badly that he then had to quit the race.
    So, as long as Geraint doesn't break, he doesn't need to break Dumoulin.

What time gap were you assuming in order for TD to nick it?

I dunno maybe a minute and it wouldn't be too comfortable for Geraint but I hope you're right. I'm not particularly a Dumoulin fan in fact I am a Froome/Thomas fan so I hope they can fend him off. It just seems to ominous me that they can't seem to shake him off, Froome especially at the moment. I thought he'd cracked it on l'Alpe d'Huez but Dumoulin just motored back up to him.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 559
    E17Blade wrote:
    tim000 wrote:

Me too. Not happy.
    Me too.