TDF 2018, Stage 8: Dreux > Amiens Métropole 14/07/2018 - 181 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Having not seen it, I would imagine it’s the stress of the final sprint day for a long time.

It was a strange one, a very straightforward finish on reasonably straight and wide road but lots of bumping and barging. Possibly due to two fairly easy stages leaving riders quite fresh.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Just checked out Renshaw's headbut for comparison - Renshaw's is far worse imo.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Pross wrote:
    Could see Greipel relegated for the original switch and Gaviria relegated as a minimum and possible DQ (possibly not as bad as Renshaw but basically the same).

Got to feel for Dan but he did well to limit his losses. Cav was perfectly placed and pulled a foot, that clear seemed to be causing a problem from the start.

Was it that bad? Leaning in definitely, but it would be a push to call it a headbut.

https://twitter.com/Pedriove/status/1018139554010759169
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • Pross
    Mattsaw wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Could see Greipel relegated for the original switch and Gaviria relegated as a minimum and possible DQ (possibly not as bad as Renshaw but basically the same).

Got to feel for Dan but he did well to limit his losses. Cav was perfectly placed and pulled a foot, that clear seemed to be causing a problem from the start.

Was it that bad? Leaning in definitely, but it would be a push to call it a headbut.

https://twitter.com/Pedriove/status/1018139554010759169

Second one was unnecessary and looked like retaliation. The first was perfectly legit after Greipel put him in the barriers. Both should probably have a stage relegation but seeing how the race jury has reacted at times in the past who knows? I’m hoping the result stands as I don’t want Sagan getting more points.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Gaviria might be getting called into the headmaster's office for that one. Greipel getting closer to the first win on this Tour.

In relation to Dan Martin: Fook, fooking fook and double-fook. Time lost and a battered body going into tomorrow's stage. Bye-byr top five GC finish.

DD.

On a day out stage like that it's just ridiculous to lose it that way. Glad at least Dan's picked up a stage.

Cav had all the help in the world from DiData.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    Gaviria and Greipel relegated.

Seems tough on Greipel.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,531
    Sagan will appreciate that
  • Pross
    Dabber wrote:

Seems tough on Greipel.

Not really, he came right across on Gaviria and put him in the barriers. He was lucky to stay upright. Right decision on both counts but makes the green jersey competition look even more like a procession for Sagan unfortunately.
  • dabber
    Pross wrote:
    Dabber wrote:

Seems tough on Greipel.

Not really, he came right across on Gaviria and put him in the barriers. He was lucky to stay upright. Right decision on both counts but makes the green jersey competition look even more like a procession for Sagan unfortunately.

I disagree, I thought Greipel moved very little..., certainly not "right across".

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Greipel was relegated for the earlier incident, where he also used his head.
  • FocusZing
    The whole fooking peloton should be relegated for taking the day off on frenchie day.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133

DiE1_aKX4AIRK3n.jpg
  • dabber

DiE1_aKX4AIRK3n.jpg

OK, I can buy that but not the Gaviria/barriers incident.

• ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    FocusZing wrote:
    The whole fooking peloton should be relegated for taking the day off on frenchie day.

And for yesterday's general protest against bike racing
  • Pross

DiE1_aKX4AIRK3n.jpg

Hard to tell from that still but that actually just looks like a rider leaning in as they sometimes have to do to avoid going down. As for the barrier incident, Greipel may not have moved far but it was certainly far enough to put Gaviria in the barriers. I've seen riders, notably Cavendish in his battles with Hushovd, relegated for impeding far less than that.
  • Pross
    Greipel seems to think it was the Gaviria incident that got him relegated based on this
    nothing more to say about that decision of the jury-when you do your sprint you keep a line-I have no eyes in my back and I don’t let myself get pushed out of the way from nobody-hard to accept to get already robbed for the stage win and now the commissaries even take away 2nd???
  • I’m torn between “that’s sprinting” and thinking they both kinda deserved what they got.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    edited July 2018
    DiEMK28X0AA4ffd.jpg
    From La Caravane du Tour
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Excellent! Was on the eye spy list and everything.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    DiE1_aKX4AIRK3n.jpg
    Hard to tell from that still but that actually just looks like a rider leaning in as they sometimes have to do to avoid going down.
    It was more than just leaning in, and I'd guess the reason for Greipel's relegation.
    I heard the being-lent-upon rider was Arndt of Sunweb.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RonB wrote:
    DiEMK28X0AA4ffd.jpg
    From La Caravane du Tour

Good looking filly
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    I see Skujins aiming back wheel after putting the chain back on has provided new "evidence" for motors :-(

https://twitter.com/bjmackay638/status/ ... 17408?s=19
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • FocusZing
    4E3AA5D200000578-5953465-Soldiers_of_the_27th_bataillon_de_chasseurs_alpins_march_down_th-a-7_1531563538484.jpg

So this was going on while the French teams were taking a rest day!?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Update on the Cavendish sprint - it was actually a chain drop. ITV had an overhead that shows he was actually in clear space at the time - the front on shot foreshortened it which is why I thought he'd been in contact with someone else creating an unclip.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Thanks for that. From the re-run he does look down just at the time when you would've expected him to be heading for full-gas to stay on Groenewegen's wheel
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    larkim wrote:
    I see Skujins aiming back wheel after putting the chain back on has provided new "evidence" for motors :-(

Oh God. How does these people manage to keep breathing?
  • FocusZing
    DiFGPlpWAAEi-1k.jpg:large
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    FocusZing wrote:
    DiFGPlpWAAEi-1k.jpg:large

Notice the spectator in the bottom left, helpfully pointing out that those blokes they're chasing "went that way".
  • larkim wrote:

It scares me that these people are allowed to breed.