TDF 2018, Stage 8: Dreux > Amiens Métropole 14/07/2018 - 181 km *Spoilers*

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    Burghardt shows the correct way to deal with being caught out by today's edition of "Simon Says" and attacking when you're not supposed to:

https://twitter.com/LeTour/status/1018074096284979200

That is absolutely magnificent.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    Finally, a couple of French dudes come out of retirement to join Ten Dam up the rue.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Surprises me that there aren't riders in the peloton that would be allowed to break away, get 15 mins and stay away.
    Long standing well respected domestiques and the like.

No gifts at the tour.

Yoann Offredo says he talked to riders before he attacked yesterday, asked them to give him 15 mins to make it interesting for viewers, but they only gave him 9. He was mightily pissed off.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I can't find and English link yet but how much time can we waste talking about Kittel's DS ( or team mate, not sure) saying he's arrogant and only thinks of himself? Plays on his phone during team briefings etc...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    ddraver wrote:
    I can't find and English link yet but how much time can we waste talking about Kittel's DS ( or team mate, not sure) saying he's arrogant and only thinks of himself? Plays on his phone during team briefings etc...

Can we have a Dutch link then, and let Google translate do its thang.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    3 riders are clear of the peloton, Grellier, Ten Dam and Minnaard
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    Ten Dam's attack reminded me of my only ever break in a road race where I'd moved to the front before the main hill to avoid getting dropped and looked behind as I rolled over the top to find two of us were well clear. I then had to ride for a few miles looking like I was trying until I could reasonably sit up. Didn't have a DS to drive up and tell me to wait unfortunately.
  • Pross
    RonB wrote:
    3 riders are clear of the peloton, Grellier, Ten Dam and Minnaard

Down to 2 as Ten Dam's DS drives and asks WTF is he doing. I can't recall a Bastille Day stage without a break containing most of the French teams, it's weird!
  • Pross
    Break gained 6'30" in less than 20k. Stages like this always make me wonder how long I could sit in the peloton.
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    Pross wrote:
    Break gained 6'30" in less than 20k. Stages like this always make me wonder how long I could sit in the peloton.

Cav mentioned it it his book.

Basically the pace would be fine, but most people would cause a crash before making it out of the neutral zone.
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Bloke on a road bike with a rucksack was passing them then.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Pross wrote:
    Ten Dam's attack reminded me of my only ever break in a road race where I'd moved to the front before the main hill to avoid getting dropped and looked behind as I rolled over the top to find two of us were well clear. I then had to ride for a few miles looking like I was trying until I could reasonably sit up. Didn't have a DS to drive up and tell me to wait unfortunately.

hahah I remember attacking a few mins before a big hill in order to get a head start and ride at an easier pace and turned round to see id woken everyone up and it ended up faster than it would have done.
  • FocusZing
    Dan bike change. Drafting cars back with quite rightly no penalty.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    whos the guest commentator on Eurosport?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Froome in bike handling shocker
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • RonB
    Grellier gets a point for being 1st over the côte de Feuquerolles (cat4)
  • RonB
    & takes the sprint as well. Sprint in the peloton for 3rd place et al won by Démare followed by Sagan, Gaviria & Greipel.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    RonB wrote:
    & takes the sprint as well. Sprint in the peloton for 3rd place et al won by Démare followed by Sagan, Gaviria & Greipel.

Glad the french get their sprint win on bastille day
  • RonB
    Should be favourite for wearing le dossard rouge tomorrow as well.
  • Pross
    Sagan doing his bit for the hidden motor conspiracy theorists by moving up the bunch into the wind whilst freewheeling :lol:
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    The team hotels for this stage.
    stage-8-hotel.jpg?01

Surely these are for tonight? I'd be a bit annoyed about staying in Amiens and then having to schlep 181km back to the start.

Nope, cos tomorrow night the team hotels are all around Annecy.

So these are the hotels for tonight. Not the ones they stayed in last night? I'm confused.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:
    Don't want to encourage yesterday's thread any more...

Here's how Sporza dealt with yesterday - https://sporza.be/nl/2018/07/14/michel-jose-saaie-rit/

So discussions about having a wee, French chauvinism, Planckaert and pigs. OK.
  • Pross
    That bit of road surface was a cyclists dream!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,701
    The team hotels for this stage.
    stage-8-hotel.jpg?01

Surely these are for tonight? I'd be a bit annoyed about staying in Amiens and then having to schlep 181km back to the start.

Nope, cos tomorrow night the team hotels are all around Annecy.

So these are the hotels for tonight. Not the ones they stayed in last night? I'm confused.

They are the hotels for tonight.
    They tend to be either at the stage finish towns, (Amiens) or around the following days start town. (Arras)
    For instance, Lotto Jumbo stayed in Dreux, last night, other teams where in Chartres.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • FocusZing
    So a third of the TDF has been sh1t so far apart from a couple of minutes at the end.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    In other sports (I'm told they exist), the FA have been fined £50k or so for "wearing unauthorised socks". Good to see football tackling the important issues. Something similar for dressing entirely in polka dots might be something for cycling to consider.

(eta there'll be a photo in a moment to illustrate, I'm sure. Several of you seem to have them bookmarked for just this sort of occasion)
  • above_the_cows
    In other sports (I'm told they exist), the FA have been fined £50k or so for "wearing unauthorised socks". Good to see football tackling the important issues. Something similar for dressing entirely in polka dots might be something for cycling to consider.

(eta there'll be a photo in a moment to illustrate, I'm sure. Several of you seem to have them bookmarked for just this sort of occasion)

Voila

bettiniphoto_0148281_1_full_670.jpg
  • above_the_cows
    They are the hotels for tonight.
    They tend to be either at the stage finish towns, (Amiens) or around the following days start town. (Arras)
    For instance, Lotto Jumbo stayed in Dreux, last night, other teams where in Chartres.

Ah ha, for some reason I thought they were last nights and so hence the confusion. This makes much more sense.
  • Afternoon all.

Has anything happened yet?
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Afternoon all.

Has anything happened yet?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooo