TDF 2018, Stage 3: Cholet > Cholet 09/07/2018 - 35,5 km - Team Time-Trial *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited July 2018 in Pro race
Cholet > Cholet 09/07/2018 - Stage 3 - 35,5 km - Team Time-Trial

At 35.5 kilometres, the 3rd stage of the Tour de France brings the first team time trial in La Grande Boucle since 2015. The race is played out on undulating roads near Cholet.

stage-3-route.jpg?04

The team time trial is played out in and near Cholet. The town hosted the Tour de France three times before. Félicien Vervaecke won in 1936, Jeroen Blijlevens sprinted to victory in 1998, while Stefan Schumacher powered to the win in 2008’s chronorace, although the German was disqualified after testing positive on doping.

The TTT sets off on wide boulevards in the centre of Cholet. On Avenue Francis Bouet the teams hit a 700 metres climb at 5% before the route continues on long straight roads. At kilometre 7 the streets get somewhat smaller for 2 kilometres before the wide open roads are back, which obviously is perfect for the teams. Another 700 metres climb at 5% with 16 kilometres done and then it’s off to La Séguinière on a fairly easy course.
In La Séguinière – at kilometre 25 – the teams leave the main road and continue on Rue de la Bastille, which is a small street that runs uphill. The 1,500 metres climb is averaging 5% in the first half and 3% in the second half. On gently rolling roads with a few sharp curves the stage travels back to the centre of Cholet.

stage-3-profile.jpg?22

Video of the last 5kms.
https://youtu.be/kSbvSg2TSPw

stage-3-finish.jpg?02

stage-3-5km.jpg?03

The first squad leaves the ramp at 15:10 and the arrival of the last one is expected around 17:34 – both local times. Teams leave every five minutes.

Favourites 3rd stage 2018 Tour de France

*** BMC, Team Sky, Team Sunweb
** Mitchelton-Scott, QuickStep-Floors
* Astana, Movistar, LottoNL-Jumbo

The teams spend an unprecedented third night at the same hotels, so the rota system has some re-dressing to do, when they finally move on.

Cholet

Three previous stages

Sub-prefecture of Maine-et-Loire (49)

56,000 inhabitants (Choletais)

106,000 inhabitants in the agglomeration of Choletais (26 communes)

Named “most sporting city of France” on three occasions (1972, 2007 and 2014) by daily sports newspaper L’Equipe, Cholet had already shown its vocation a long time ago, welcoming the Tour de France for the first time in 1936 with a stage won by Félicien Vervaecke, also a two-time best climber of the event (1935, 1937) and wearer of the Yellow jersey during six days before loosing it to Gino Bartali in 1938. For its last visit in 2008, the peloton had started stage 5 from Cholet not knowing that it would be a historic day: several hours later, Mark Cavendish triumphed in Chateauroux and started his impressive series of 30 stage victories. The Brit remains the biggest collector of wins still riding and the second of all time behind Eddy Merckx.

800x600_restaurant-brasserie-le-grand-cafe-cholet-49-770621.jpg

Red handkerchiefs are the symbol of Cholet. Since 2003, they have been weaved in the Museum of Textile and Fashion, which tells the 100 years of its history. The handkerchief is a chequered red and white cloth created in reference to Theodore Botrel’s song entitled Le mouchoir rouge de Cholet (Cholet’s Red Handkerchief). Botrel sang it for the first time in April 1900 during a concert at Cholet’s Orpheon Theatre. The song evokes the historical Battle of Cholet, during which rebel leader Henri de la Rochejacquelein sported three white handkerchiefs at his hat, chest and side to be better spotted by his troops. The clothes were easy targets for the Revolutionary soldiers and were rapidly covered in blood. As a tribute to the Couan leader’s courage, the red handkerchief became the symbol of the town of Cholet.

WB159363631_1.jpeg

Mouchoirs de Cholet
Mouchoirs de Cholet are sweets designed to honour the red handkerchiefs which are the symbols of Cholet. They are a subtle mixture of almond paste with orange, pralines and hazelnuts, covered by red and white chocolate recalling the design of the handkerchiefs.

275-946-thickbox.jpg

Local wines come from the department, rather than Cholet itself.

loire_seafood_skewers_winophiles-20160403-17.jpg?w=640
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Excellent thread starter as always.

Fancy GT to be in yellow following this.

Presume it is still the 5th rider's time despite the reduction in team sizes?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    latest?cb=20120614082443
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    edited July 2018
    Not in Cholet itself, but in Saumur in the Maines-et-Loire department, the Cadre Noir is a team of 'ecuyers' at the French military riding academy, the École Nationale d'Équitation.

1024px-Cadre_noir_-_cabriole_%C3%A0_la_main.jpg

Personally I'd be checking this horse for hidden motors.

Local cows include the Maine-Anjou breed, with its distinctive red and white markings. The yellow earrings are optional I believe.

maine-anjou-kalb-laufend.jpg

Meanwhile some local cow products...

Photo-5-Cheese.jpg
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Not in Cholet itself, but in Saumur in the Maines-et-Loire department, the Cadre Noir is a team of 'ecuyers' at the French military riding academy, the École Nationale d'Équitation.

Wow, that geezer must be super strong holding that horse above his head like that!
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • above_the_cows
    DeadCalm wrote:

Wow, that geezer must be super strong holding that horse above his head like that!

Took some puffs of Salbutamol and... voila.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    DeadCalm wrote:

4th according to the itv4 commentary team.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Start times (French time)

DhmW9FsXkAA1iK8.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    I'm going to miss all this. I'm in meetings all day!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    What are the start times based on?
  • RichN95.
    The reverse of the current standings in the team competition, with the exception that the team of the Yellow Jersey goes last
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327
    Team competition, though yellow jersey goes last.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Tom Dean wrote:
    latest?cb=20120614082443
    Why is Aru wearing an orange mask?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,724
    That's a pure TT road that.

Theys loves the rolling roads; can make bigger gaps.
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    edited July 2018
    The sparkling Saumurs are whats required. Go to the Langlois chateau and try a bit of veal with quince and a couple of bottles dear boy
    7_saut_de_la_table_dans_les_vignes2.jpg
  • Wanty nicely placed third in the overall standings. Mr Wanty (who has just come out of hospital) liking the first jersey ever for the team in the Tour ( Dion - polka 1 point :lol: ) two in top 10 yesterday (Dupont and Pasqualon) and Yoyo Offredo's camera time and combativeness prize on the first stage

Guilliame Martin lost a minute though
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Sky heavy favourites according to Oddschecker. Just shy of 1/2 on average.

BMC second at about 2.1/1
  • above_the_cows
    Mouchoirs de Cholet
    Mouchoirs de Cholet are sweets designed to honour the red handkerchiefs which are the symbols of Cholet. They are a subtle mixture of almond paste with orange, pralines and hazelnuts, covered by red and white chocolate recalling the design of the handkerchiefs.

275-946-thickbox.jpg

Those 'sweets' sound and look absolutely disgusting.
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    DeadCalm wrote:

Froome will be in a brown Jersey.
  • rick_chasey
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I have a strong suspicion because these are all brit odds, and cycling is a very thin market, odds on Brit teams vs the rest can be quite skewed.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

I have a strong suspicion because these are all brit odds, and cycling is a very thin market, odds on Brit teams vs the rest can be quite skewed.

There was an Australian odds website I have looked at a few times, will try to dig it out for comparison.

Definitely agree the UK websites skew towards Sky, although 1/2 vs 2/1 is quite a big swing. I would probably have thought Sky were marginally favourite.
  • RichN95.
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

There was an Australian odds website I have looked at a few times, will try to dig it out for comparison.

Definitely agree the UK websites skew towards Sky, although 1/2 vs 2/1 is quite a big swing. I would probably have thought Sky were marginally favourite.
    Here's one: https://www.palmerbet.com/sports/cycling
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,259
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Sky have got the current form though. Looked really smooth in the Dauphine, even without Froome. Castroviejo, Thomas, Moscon, Kwiatkowski all good TTers. Justified strong favourites.
  • rick_chasey
    That I don't disagree with, but Sky don't have a phenomenal track record in TTTs IIRC.
  • bobmcstuff
    RichN95 wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Here's one: https://www.palmerbet.com/sports/cycling

That shows Sky at 1.57 vs 3.1 for BMC, so similar difference (although Sky less strong favourite)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    That I don't disagree with, but Sky don't have a phenomenal track record in TTTs IIRC.

My gut feeling is that they've identified that and worked on it. The team is certainly loaded with really good TTers. With Froome coming into the race off the back of three GTs in a row it would be madness not to look at this stage and think that's where to do as much damage as possible.

Obviously, every other team should have been working on it as well.
  • RichN95.

My gut feeling is that they've identified that and worked on it. The team is certainly loaded with really good TTers. With Froome coming into the race off the back of three GTs in a row it would be madness not to look at this stage and think that's where to do as much damage as possible.

My feeling is that TTTs are just what BMC do. It's their thing.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    In this goodness gracious... Given Geraint Thomas got that second yesterday he's up for taking the yellow I reckon.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,259
    RichN95 wrote:

True enough. They've got Porte, Kung, TJVG who weren't at the Dauphine.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    RichN95 wrote:

I think we're all pretty much agreed that it's largely between BMC and Sky here - at least of the big GC teams. As much as anything, if your GC rider isn't all that strong in a TT then all the national TT champions in the world won't help you do more than limit losses. You can protect him, but you've still got to get him over the line. That's a clear advantage to BMC and Sky.
  • rick_chasey
    We're confident QS aren't going to be challenging?

I mean, that team ain't slow.

Jungels, Lampaert, Terpstra, DeClerq, Gilbert to drive it...