Chris Froome salbutamol/Tour merged threads

Comments

• thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    So yes, he has every right to ride, it's up to ASO if they want to take that right away.

But he has no 'right' to ride it whatsoever, just as Cav, or Bardet, or any of the other big stars have no 'right' to ride the Tour. It's a multi million Euro arm of a billion Euro business and the business calls the shots (in line with the UCI).
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    if ASO ban Froome and then he gets cleared by UCI/WADA . that will make ASO look very foolish and would mean the tour winner won by defaut and would be a devalued win .which is surely damaging the tour . i hope they do ban him now and Thomas goes on to win . :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    We need to remember ASO have attempted to use this rule before.

And it did not work.

The whole thing is so vague it's difficult ground legally.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    RichN95 wrote:
    Reasons why he should win the appeal:

1. He has not been found guilty of anything and is following the WADA procedures that ASO signed up to (via UCI)

2. This should have been confidential. Froome should not be punished for a breech of his own privacy.

3. ASO would have to show evidence that this would damage the image of the race - a race with a poor image anyway. The Giro wasn't damaged.

4. Any arguement about the uncertainty of results would be dismissed as unfounded.

5. Delays in processing the case can be laid at the UCI's door due to other older cases still outstanding

6. Bad faith. ASO have done this at the last minute after months of knowledge of the situation.

If Froome is at the race he could retaliate by refusing to appear at the team presentation and, if the event arises, podium presentations and mandatory media engagements. "You don;t want me here, so I'll keep out of your way and not embarrass you"

So summing up your argument is he should win because its not fair?? BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHAH
  • Vino'sGhost
    iainf72 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Both he and I agree that common decency demands you don't put your own beliefs above social norms and try to make others feel comfortable and welcome.

Quite right. And Peterson's real beef was trying mandate made up words are used, like ze or zer. Which seems entirely reasonable to me.

I disagree with JP a fair amount but I think he's right here

What makes people feel much more comfortable is being polite and using the pronouns and names they feel comfortable with.

Eg people here can make the leap between Rick and Richard, and the same at school ( “I prefer Rick to Richard, Miss”) easily enough. Can’t be that hard to move from he to she. People who don’t are just trying to signify their prejudice over the whole issue, and make people who feel different about their gender feel bad.

So, don’t be a d!ck and just use the pronoun people want you to use.

Id like you to call me Sir or at a push King Vino
  • Vino'sGhost
    iainf72 wrote:
    M.R.M. wrote:

Both he and I agree that common decency demands you don't put your own beliefs above social norms and try to make others feel comfortable and welcome.

Quite right. And Peterson's real beef was trying mandate made up words are used, like ze or zer. Which seems entirely reasonable to me.

I disagree with JP a fair amount but I think he's right here

What makes people feel much more comfortable is being polite and using the pronouns and names they feel comfortable with.

Eg people here can make the leap between Rick and Richard, and the same at school ( “I prefer Rick to Richard, Miss”) easily enough. Can’t be that hard to move from he to she. People who don’t are just trying to signify their prejudice over the whole issue, and make people who feel different about their gender feel bad.

So, don’t be a d!ck and just use the pronoun people want you to use.

Id like you to call me Sir or at a push King Vino

I know thats a title but i havent decided on a pronoun yet, just dont be a dick and do what i want.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    Sorry I didn’t realise you were having identity issues around gender.

Where’s your thinking at, at the moment?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Sorry I didn’t realise you were having identity issues around gender.

Where’s your thinking at, at the moment?

Why? You need only to acknowledge what i want.
  • rick_chasey
    No need to be defensive, I’m only trying to help.

I didn’t realise you felt so strongly about what people call you. It can be tough when you’re unsure of your gender.

It’s why it’s good for others to help.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Can we all agree you're a pair of boring dickheads and move on?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Vino'sGhost
    Moving on im pleased to see ASO making a stand.
  • rick_chasey
    ;-)

Presumably CAS will rule in favour of Froome and so it’ll be EVEN MORE awkward.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Well they might, but i still think its good to see ASO grasping the nettle.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    I'm no fan of Froome but I hope he gets to race this TdF. ASO didn't seem too bothered about the image of the race when the "fans" were spitting at Sky riders or spraying them with p1ss.

DD.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    Maybe they should introduce the rule
    "no rider may equal or surpass the number of wins by Bernard Hinault"
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Vino'sGhost
    Again i come back to my previous comments that it would have been better for froome to say woops i must have had too many puffs of the inhaler, take a very short ban and then crack on. Not many would have cared then.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    iainf72 wrote:

And it did not work.

Wasn’t this how they stopped Astana riding? Just on a whim.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,873
    1/ the case should have been ruled on by now... it's absurdly slow.
    2/ its their race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    inseine wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

And it did not work.

Wasn’t this how they stopped Astana riding? Just on a whim.
    That was a year when the Tour wasn't in the World Tour and the teams were invited. They chose not to invite Astana. They also did it several months before the race.

Ultimately by omitting Froome due to the salbutamol issue, they are going against the WADA code, and WADA really don't like that.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    Don't ASO have to allow all WT teams to take part and, if so, surely those teams can select any rider who is not banned? They certainly seem to be on shaky ground especially leaving it so late. The risk of damage by preventing the favourite taking part and then subsequently having the decision ruled unfair is surely greater?

Also, how many riders will be taking part who have actually been convicted of doping? Surely for consistency they should be prevented from taking part too?

A cynic might suggest they are using the situation to try to assist in getting a home winner.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    2/ its their race
    3/ They've signed up to the World Tour and WADA and are bound by their rules.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    2/ its their race

But in the case of 1) is that Froome's fault? If not should he be penalised that the UCI have a) leaked the case and b) dragged their heels?
  • Vino'sGhost
    2/ its their race

Agreed

Perhaps they wanted to force ASO to make an announcement or hoped it would have been sorted by now. (Not an unreasonable hope)

Perhaps theyre genuinely concerned that the value of ASO / the tour is at risk.

It certainley adds a new twist.
  • Vino'sGhost
    RichN95 wrote:
    2/ its their race

Idiot
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    RichN95 wrote:
    2/ its their race
    Yep. And article 29 is in compliance with UCI rules is it not?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    2/ its their race

Agreed

Perhaps they wanted to force ASO to make an announcement or hoped it would have been sorted by now. (Not an unreasonable hope)

Should they also ban ex-cyclists such as Virenque from being on the Tour in media roles then? I would suggest he was part of one of the most damaging events in the Tour's history.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Pross wrote:
    2/ its their race

Agreed

Should they also ban ex-cyclists such as Virenque from being on the Tour in media roles then? I would suggest he was part of one of the most damaging events in the Tour's history.

Is he a 5 tour winning current compitor with an unresolved aaf hanging over him ? There must be better comparators like armstrong perhaps who is banned.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Well...
    Correlation is not causation.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Pross wrote:
    2/ its their race

Agreed

Funnily enough, none of my Thai, Belgian, Danish, Australian, American, Canadian, Norwegian, Finnish cycling buddies have expressed to me their concerns about Virenque. Froome, on the other hand...
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:
    2/ its their race

Agreed

Is he a 5 tour winning current compitor with an unresolved aaf hanging over him ? There must be better comparators like armstrong perhaps who is banned.

No, he was a rider on a team that got kicked out for systematic doping and was allowed to race again as soon as his ban was up. To me a convicted doper is a bigger threat to the sport's reputation than someone who may have used his asthma pump too many times but then only one of them is a major obstacle to a French Tour winner.