Chris Froome salbutamol/Tour merged threads

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    edited July 2018
    No it's not. Your view on this is childlike in its ignorance.

What about, say, hayfever medication?

Nope to that, hayfever is awful. But if you cant cope with the atmospheric conditions you cant cope. you are at a disadvantage to those that can. They dont warm the cobbles in belgium for the spaniards do they.
    So what about anti seizure medication? Should that be allowed because you know, with it you are reducing your chance of a seizure during a race and hence improving your performance.

Can you not see how utterly ridiculous this all sounds?

its not rdiculous at all, imagine a physical contest where the strongest actually wins. No drugs.
    Imagine a society where the vast majority are precluded from taking part because of some ridiculous notion. We all need help from time to time with medication to make us well again.

But the vast majority dont take part in Elite sport, thats the point, it should be elite. It makes not a jot of difference if someone needs help to go on a club run or do a sportive, Elite sports people need access to medicine too from time to time and they absolutley should have it where neccescary just not during. (nb if someone has an attack and needs an inhaler then they need it, but I just dont think they should be using it to get through.)
    Utter guff. Where do you stand on insulin. Do you think riders should be allowed to use it or should they be banned from using it and just take their chances on slipping into a coma?
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    This is getting silly.

I've got a couple of salbutamol inhalers at home, it makes no effing difference.

I suffered in my youth, but these days my only need is after doing very hard efforts in very cold air. But when I need it, I really, really need it. It's not performance enhancing - it stops me from collapsing!

and you should use it!
    Should I stop entering hill climbs and TTs though?

are you entering the world champs as elite sports person or a middle aged bloke engaging in a positive passtime?
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691

Nope to that, hayfever is awful. But if you cant cope with the atmospheric conditions you cant cope. you are at a disadvantage to those that can. They dont warm the cobbles in belgium for the spaniards do they.

You are absolutely right. Anyone who has had any medical treatment at all shouldn't be allowed to compete. This includes vaccinations, caesarean births, dentistry and haircuts.
  • Vino'sGhost

So what about anti seizure medication? Should that be allowed because you know, with it you are reducing your chance of a seizure during a race and hence improving your performance.

its not rdiculous at all, imagine a physical contest where the strongest actually wins. No drugs.
    Imagine a society where the vast majority are precluded from taking part because of some ridiculous notion. We all need help from time to time with medication to make us well again.

But the vast majority dont take part in Elite sport, thats the point, it should be elite. It makes not a jot of difference if someone needs help to go on a club run or do a sportive, Elite sports people need access to medicine too from time to time and they absolutley should have it where neccescary just not during. (nb if someone has an attack and needs an inhaler then they need it, but I just dont think they should be using it to get through.)
    Utter guff. Where do you stand on insulin. Do you think riders should be allowed to use it or should they be banned from using it and just take their chances on slipping into a coma?

i think diabetics needing insulin should have access to it. I dont think anyone too ill to compete without it should be competing with it.
  • slim_boy_fat
    frisbee wrote:

You are absolutely right. Anyone who has had any medical treatment at all shouldn't be allowed to compete. This includes vaccinations, caesarean births, dentistry and haircuts.
    Bang on, I had anterior cruciate ligament repair surgery after rupturing it playing rugby. No way I should be able to compete after that as my leg was much more stable afterwards and hence dramatically improving my performance. Shoot, that means I'm a dirty doper!
  • Vino'sGhost
    frisbee wrote:

well youre being factious now, im not suggesting that people shouldn't have any medical intervention s, I'm suggesting Elite sport shouldnt be contended by people who need them to compete. people whose physical limitations are "corrected" by medicine.

The haircuts an interesting one having witnessed hair bleaching and removal as a means of dodging the dope testers.
  • slim_boy_fat

i think diabetics needing insulin should have access to it. I dont think anyone too ill to compete without it should be competing with it.
    You really are incredibly ignorant aren't you?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,400
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    This is getting silly.

I've got a couple of salbutamol inhalers at home, it makes no effing difference.

I suffered in my youth, but these days my only need is after doing very hard efforts in very cold air. But when I need it, I really, really need it. It's not performance enhancing - it stops me from collapsing!

and you should use it!

are you entering the world champs as elite sports person or a middle aged bloke engaging in a positive passtime?

I hope I don't meet any common definitions of middle agedness yet ;)
  • Vino'sGhost
    frisbee wrote:

Bang on, I had anterior cruciate ligament repair surgery after rupturing it playing rugby. No way I should be able to compete after that as my leg was much more stable afterwards and hence dramatically improving my performance. Shoot, that means I'm a dirty doper!

Ive been quite clear that access to essential medical support should be provided just not used during sport in order to compete.
  • Vino'sGhost
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    This is getting silly.

and you should use it!

I hope I don't meet any common definitions of middle agedness yet ;)

Lucky you :)
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Vino is just trolling, he knows exactly what he's saying just to get a reaction - DON'T FEED THE TROLL
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • Vino'sGhost
    i made a comment that my view was that Elite Sport should be just that, the best of the best, i dont believe that some medicines are compatible with that.

That is my view, my opinion, its not trolling.

grubby little posts designed to assign names to close down discussion are just lazy and are far worse than me having an opinion on salbutomol use in pro cycling.

grubby little labels, lazily used here, include troll and brexiteer. Why not add something to the conversation.
  • so we should have sports with only asthmatics?

you are a f*cking idiot
  • I doubt you gave two shits about asthma until you found out Froome suffered from it
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    It entirely provides a performance enhancing benifit it opens constricted airways.

So, if you believe the advertising, do Tunes*, are you suggesting people can't take a throat lozenge?

Contraceptive pills could technically 'enhance' performance in that if taken back to back can stop menstruation entirely, thus preventing period pains, are you going to say that female sportspeople can't take contraceptive pills?

*Do they still make Tunes?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Vino'sGhost
    topper, im sure one of your hilarious pictures is coming next, before you start calling people names try reading the comments. if you need help I'll draw you some pictures. You might find some of these simple concepts challenging. it's ok, sit down and come back later if youre able to continue.

If you feel unable to read before posting just post a stupid picture or call names. Bless.
  • above_the_cows
    Glasses don’t affect your ability to perform at the physical level required.

Says someone who clearly doesn't require glasses.

I couldn't cycle more than 3m without wearing my glasses, I'd crash immediately.

Honestly this is hillarious! :lol::lol::lol:

s-l300.jpg
  • Vino'sGhost
    It entirely provides a performance enhancing benifit it opens constricted airways.

So, if you believe the advertising, do Tunes*, are you suggesting people can't take a throat lozenge?

Contraceptive pills could technically 'enhance' performance in that if taken back to back can stop menstruation entirely, thus preventing period pains, are you going to say that female sportspeople can't take contraceptive pills?

*Do they still make Tunes?

Interesting point, though prolonged heavy exercise frequently produces stopped or missed periods. Pregnancy also affects performance in endurance sports as you know. As the russians knew too.
  • above_the_cows

It's called fascism.
  • Vino'sGhost

I couldn't cycle more than 3m without wearing my glasses, I'd crash immediately.

s-l300.jpg

ah the glasses argument again. NO GLASSES either.
  • above_the_cows
    What about tampons?

Are those allowed in your fascist worldview?
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

s-l300.jpg

Don't be silly. He's never ridden a bike
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • slim_boy_fat
    What about tampons?

Or Sensodyne toothpaste? Does wonders for my sensitive teeth.
  • above_the_cows
    gsk82 wrote:
    s-l300.jpg

Don't be silly. He's never ridden a bike

:lol::lol::lol:
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I doubt you gave two shits about asthma until you found out Froome suffered from it

Froome gives a p1ss though and that's all that counts!
  • above_the_cows
    What about tampons?

Amazing stuff. I'd be lost without it. Truly. Also E45 cream. My wrist braces to keep my carpal tunnel under control...

As Donna Haraway observed humans in the modern age are all cyborgs.
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    edited July 2018
    topper, im sure one of your hilarious pictures is coming next, before you start calling people names try reading the comments. if you need help I'll draw you some pictures. You might find some of these simple concepts challenging. it's ok, sit down and come back later if youre able to continue.

If you feel unable to read before posting just post a stupid picture or call names. Bless.

its almost stupid as asking asthmatics to step aside because thier lungs don't work to a normal level...yet they have medication that makes lungs work to a normal level, but because a rider you dislike has asthma you think they shouldn't be in competion.....i never see you on this crusade until this case with Froome came out
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    What about tampons?

Amazing stuff. I'd be lost without it. Truly. Also E45 cream. My wrist braces to keep my carpal tunnel under control...

S'what my cortisol shot was for...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • slim_boy_fat
    We should do a poll of the peleton and find out how many of them have got teeth fillings...and immediately kick them of the race if they have. Clearly performance enhancing! Would make for a smaller bunch.
  • above_the_cows
    ddraver wrote:
    What about tampons?

S'what my cortisol shot was for...

My sympathies. Was it painful? They can sometimes be very painful for 24 hours or so. I've stopped taking the injections as they made my arms puffy (my leather jacket became really tight around the upper arms and I love my leather jacket). Now I manage it with my wrist braces and a really specific work set-up that includes speaking software and a standing desk.