Chris Froome salbutamol/Tour merged threads

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    He's going to get a lot of wee-wee and spit thrown at him at the tour, be surprised to see him making it through without getting some form of fan attack.

The full situation is just sad. Its all bad for cycling.

It is. Which is why it should have stayed confidential. With the outcome of the case being that Froome is cleared, no-one would never have known about it and all this damage could have been avoided.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    giphy.gif

giphy.gif
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,892
    its too long a procedure...i guess if its kept confidential no one sees and the "look" is less damaging.

what a whole load of nothing...I think its good it looked at HARD thou. the asthma/ salbutamol thing has bad optics.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    inseine wrote:
    Seems to be rumors of a decision before the Tour starts. I can imagine the people who wanted a quick resolution would be unhappy with this outcome

Seems the rumors were right
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    RichN95 wrote:
    Yea, the podium presentation should be fun now if Froome gets into yellow. Hinualt will have to swallow his pride. It'll be interesting to see if he offers any kind of apology.
    Hinault isn't doing the podiums anymore. Thomas Voeckler's got that job now.

Just as well, probably!

DD.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    So what happened, the UCI just panicked or had its hand forced by the ASO statement?
    This would be great if it were the end of the whole sorry saga.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,575
    redvision wrote:
    Well I never saw this coming but glad it's finally been resolved.

Have to trust the UCI investigation but hope they speed up the process in the future.

I hope Froome doesn't get the abuse he has at previous tours, and hopefully this outcome will help.

I also hope more is done by the UCI and Wada to help those with asthma, hopefully preventing similar issues in the future.

One thing I want to add, I never thought I would be saying this because I have criticised him so much for not self suspending after his aaf become public, but, whilst the sky pr team needs a great deal of work, you have to give Froome credit for the way he has handled all the criticism and everything through the process. Hats off to him for staying calm and professional. He deserves massive respect for that.

We'll said
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • wonder if Froome gets an apology from the badger and Miss Yorke...or were they just pandering to the nutters in the clinic and couldn't give 2 shits either way?..
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,903
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    He's going to get a lot of wee-wee and spit thrown at him at the tour, be surprised to see him making it through without getting some form of fan attack.

It is. Which is why it should have stayed confidential. With the outcome of the case being that Froome is cleared, no-one would never have known about it and all this damage could have been avoided.

Agreed - but the daily hate mail need to sell their comic, so these are small costs to incur.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Where does that leave Petacchi and Ulissi?
    Is Salbutimol nowtaken off the banned list?
    someone hasn't been paying attention....
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Hinault this morning:-
    giphy.gif
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,246
    Daniel B wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Agreed - but the daily hate mail need to sell their comic, so these are small costs to incur.
    The Guardian and Le Monde leaked it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    It's good this has been resolved before the Tour
    That's what everyone wanted yeah?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Julien Prétot@julienpretotRTR

Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme tells Reuters they’re dropping procedure against Froome, which was initiated 3 weeks ago #tdf
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • This wouldn't have been an issue if the story hadn't been leaked to 'Le Monde/The Guardian'. Those two papers are the ones that have done the reputation damage to cycling, not the UCI and not Froome.

Sadly I don't think this will change fans perception of Froome. He's incredibly successful therefore he must obviously be on 'something' in certain people's minds.

It's pleasing to think about the epic tantrum that the badger must be throwing right now...
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Hinault this morning:-
    200.gif
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Hinault is a top class cock with a spot of selective amnesia. Missing a drugs test so that you don't get caught is not exactly the work of a saint. Maybe he is just stupid and cannot read rules. Either way I am pretty sure if roles were reversed he would have stepped away from a lucrative contract and just stopped cycling till the private matter was publically concluded like the good boy he pretends to be while other slung manure at him in the media.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    So, now we can wear the spectacles of hindsight, can we see a silver lining to Froome's situation being in the public?

Imagine if there'd been nothing in the press so far, and then today, on the eve of the Tour, a story leaks "A confidential report has been seen which shows the UCI clearing the world's #1 GT rider after adverse findings in a test result during the Vuelta". Would that have been better or worse for Froome & cycling? The tinfoil hat guys would have had even more of a field day with that one.

(Of course, the "right" outcome would be that we never knew anything about this at all and were none-the-wiser either way).
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • larkim
    This wouldn't have been an issue if the story hadn't been leaked to 'Le Monde/The Guardian'. Those two papers are the ones that have done the reputation damage to cycling, not the UCI and not Froome.

Sadly I don't think this will change fans perception of Froome. He's incredibly successful therefore he must obviously be on 'something' in certain people's minds.

It's pleasing to think about the epic tantrum that the badger must be throwing right now...
    It's not the papers' faults for publishing, that's their jobs. It's the UCI's fault (or a maverick individual within the UCI) for the leak in the first place.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    redvision wrote:
    Hats off to him for staying calm and professional. He deserves massive respect for that.
    It sounds like he and the team have been confident for some time that he would be cleared, so I think that would make it easier.
  • Julien Prétot@julienpretotRTR

Tour de France director Christian Prudhomme tells Reuters they’re dropping procedure against Froome, which was initiated 3 weeks ago #tdf
    ah, that's nice of them...hope the realise they didn't help the situation when they took the actions they did, this summer something will happen to Froome on French roads and ASO never helped
  • warrior4life
    warrior4life Posts: 925
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Yup. I'm on the cynical side, I've been a fan for so long I don't really believe much (but I still love the sport).
    With it all out in the open I wish they're just done it as had been done in the past and not given 9 months to come up with an excuse of some kind.
    The way it is it just feels wrong.
    If Froome had done nothing wrong I wish it had all stayed hidden.
    Very interested to see what happens at the tour and beyond.

I certainly wont be betting on a win for Froome. Quintana this year.
  • Nick Payne
    Nick Payne Posts: 288
    What a load of horseshit. Ulissi returns a reading of 1900ng/ml and gets a nine month suspension. Froome returns a higher reading and the anti-doping authorities collapse in a heap. Money doesn't talk it swears.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    Where does that leave Petacchi and Ulissi?
    Is Salbutimol nowtaken off the banned list?

FFS. It was never on it.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    To all the Sky and Froome haters ..get over it and move on
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,424
    Nick Payne wrote:
    What a load of horseshit. Ulissi returns a reading of 1900ng/ml and gets a nine month suspension. Froome returns a higher reading and the anti-doping authorities collapse in a heap. Money doesn't talk it swears.

Shame you haven't bothered to keep up to date with the facts of the case, but then you are a blinkered hater. :?
  • larkim
    Nick Payne wrote:
    FFS, Ulissi admitted being negligent with his use of Salbutamol. Whilst he never said it explicitly, that sounds very much to me like he admitted ingesting over and above the limit - his case is therefore VERY different to Froome (who, whether you believe him or not), utterly denied exceeding it/
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    john1967 wrote:
    To all the Sky and Froome haters ..get over it and move on

Some hope. :(
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Nick Payne wrote:

Ulissi overdosed and admitted it. Froome maintained innocence and provided proof to convince WADA he did not overdose.
    Is there no difference, in your opinion?

edit:meh, larkim so quick
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    inseine wrote:
    So what happened, the UCI just panicked or had its hand forced by the ASO statement?
    This would be great if it were the end of the whole sorry saga.

On the face of it, WADA formed their conclusions and threw out the case. But it does seem odd this happened just a few days before the TdF starts so it is hard to believe that no one (ie UCI and/or ASO) forced them to make their decision one way or the other.