Comments

• ContrelaMontre
    ContrelaMontre Posts: 3,027
    :-(

Rule No.10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Jeanne Korevaar and Valerie Demey also from CCC-Liv have abandoned as well

Sounds like Marianne was unlucky not to be able to continue,as she just had a face cut that requires stitches
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Must have been a bit nasty, race was neutralised for a while.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,371
    three women had smeared lipstick and two had nail injuries that will require a whole afternoon at madame ciaos nail bar.

When you typed this did you really think you were making a funny joke?
  • orraloon
    Don't take the bait. Vino has history.
  • Alejandrosdog
    Alejandrosdog Posts: 1,975
    r0bh wrote:
    three women had smeared lipstick and two had nail injuries that will require a whole afternoon at madame ciaos nail bar.

When you typed this did you really think you were making a funny joke?

yes?
  • awavey
    orraloon wrote:
    Must have been a bit nasty, race was neutralised for a while.

I think the delay was just so that they could get medical cover back in place to cover the rest of the remaining riders to continue the race, as sods law will say youll have a second crash and need medical help again, and there was actually a second crash but which didnt need to stop, hopefully the highlights will clear up what happened as certainly it seemed to delay some of the riders including Lizzie D I think.

but Jolien D'Hoore won the stage, 2nd of the race, just ahead of Lisa Brennauer with Demi Vollering taking 3rd by just 0.0008 seconds. The first mid stage crash in the peloton led to the race being neutralised and halted as medical support was provided, ultimately six riders were forced to abandon from that,the most notable casualty in terms of GC was the current race leader Vos who needed to visit hospital for a cut on the face that needed stitches.

Anna Plichta had already animated the race earlier by taking off just after the first climb of the day, on a solo ride and gathered almost 90seconds lead other the peloton at stages, but ultimately she was chased down in the closing stages, and got caught up in the 2nd crash and didnt manage to recatch the bunch, and the stage ended in a bunch sprint.

Lisa Brennauer's take of bonus seconds moves her into overall lead, with Coryn Rivera 2nd and Lizzie Deignan now in 3rd.

Overall GC

Lisa Brennauer (Ger) WNT-Rotor Pro Cycling 09:29:23
    Coryn Rivera (USA) Team Subweb 0:00:03
    Lizzie Deignan (Gbr) Trek - Segafredo 0:00:04

But the top 20 riders are covered by just 20 seconds

next is Stage 4 which is 158.9km Warwick to Burton Dassett with 1,513m of climbing including 4, race manual claimed ;) Cat 2 climbs , though the first one looks almost vertical on the profile, the last 3 are actually repeat loops of the same hill culminating in the first hill top finish in the history of the race.
  • Alejandrosdog
    It’s a shame when a crash like that affects the GC. Good luck to Vos and the others.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,651
    Seems like she hit a deep pothole and lost grip on the drops.

Bloody typical British roads!! I blame the council.

Hope all heal quickly as it looked nasty.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

It looked like the bars came off in her hands.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,676
    frisbee wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

It also looked as if the pothole had been patched. The ones around here look like the Mariana Trench.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593

Tw@t.
  • orraloon
    That was Hadden Hill on the E side of Didcot, short shallow drop on the main road. Looked a weird sequence of events, she just seemed to lose her grip et voila. Nasty.
  • awavey
    orraloon wrote:
    That was Hadden Hill on the E side of Didcot, short shallow drop on the main road. Looked a weird sequence of events, she just seemed to lose her grip et voila. Nasty.

really weird crash wasnt it, it looked like she caught a bump or hole in the road for sure, but its like the front wheel looks to be pointing in directions the handlebars werent immediately after the impact,and more than just an unexpected shift of direction and over compensation input to correct, so did some spokes break on the impact ? or the wheel buckled under the load ?, that would explain how it looks like suddenly controlling a bucking bronco as the bike wouldnt be riding properly true anymore and you cant steer it properly anymore,which is why at that speed she lost grip on the bars and falls over the front, rather than just has the back end step away which is what I think youd normally expect for hitting a bump and losing control.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,776
    That stage was alright.....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • awavey
    edited June 2019
    Stage 4 found the rain again,and plenty of it, Sara Roy (mitchelton scott) attacked at the 30km mark and solo-ed to a 1minute advantage on the peloton before Lotti Becker(FDJ)/Femke Markus (PushingDreamsNL) managed to also break out and joined her, the group then managed at one point to have nearly 8mins gap back to the peloton before Trek and then Sunweb took up the chase and reeled them back in slowly.

The pace caused breaks in the peloton and in the breakaway group as they tackled the 1st climbs of the day. entering the Basset country park loops,Elisa Longo Borghini (Trek)/Laura Lippert (Sunweb)/Kasia Niewiadoma (CanyonSRAM) jumped across from the peloton and caught the Sara Roy group who were down to two riders, just before the 3rd climb of the day with 12kms to go, but it ended up with a group of around 25 riders contesting the final climb to the finish

and in the end it was Niewiadoma who took the stage victory, with Lippert second, but Lippert moves into overall lead, with Niewiadoma 2nd but on the same time...but Lizzie is still holding 3rd only 3secs back

Overall GC
    Liane Lippert (Ger) Team Sunweb 13:47:56
    Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Canyon-SRAM 0:00:00
    Lizzie Deignan (Gbr) Trek - Segafredo 0:00:03

tomorrow its Stage 5 and its into Wales for 140km through Powys from Landrindod Wells to the Royal Welsh Showground, Builth Wells,billed as the toughest stage ever, taking in 2,206 metres of climbing and featuring 2 cat 1 QoM climbs, up Gordwwr Bank and Epynt, the forecast is...for more rain.
  • Alejandrosdog
    awavey wrote:
    Stage 4 found the rain again,and plenty of it, Sara Roy (mitchelton scott) attacked at the 30km mark and solo-ed to a 1minute advantage on the peloton before Lotti Becker(FDJ)/Femke Markus (PushingDreamsNL) managed to also break out and joined her, the group then managed at one point to have nearly 8mins gap back to the peloton before Trek and then Sunweb took up the chase and reeled them back in slowly.

The pace caused breaks in the peloton and in the breakaway group as they tackled the 1st climbs of the day. entering the Basset country park loops,Elisa Longo Borghini (Trek)/Laura Lippert (Sunweb)/Kasia Niewiadoma (CanyonSRAM) jumped across from the peloton and caught the Sara Roy group who were down to two riders, just before the 3rd climb of the day with 12kms to go, but it ended up with a group of around 25 riders contesting the final climb to the finish

and in the end it was Niewiadoma who took the stage victory, with Lippert second, but Lippert moves into overall lead, with Niewiadoma 2nd but on the same time...but Lizzie is still holding 3rd only 3secs back

Overall GC
    Liane Lippert (Ger) Team Sunweb 13:47:56
    Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Canyon-SRAMTeam Subweb 0:00:00
    Lizzie Deignan (Gbr) Trek - Segafredo 0:00:03

tomorrow its Stage 5 and its into Wales for 140km through Powys from Landrindod Wells to the Royal Welsh Showground, Builth Wells,billed as the toughest stage ever, taking in 2,206 metres of climbing and featuring 2 cat 1 QoM climbs, up Gordwwr Bank and Epynt, the forecast is...for more rain.

Should be a nice day out for them. it looks hard enough to really smash the bunch up if they race it hard.
  • mididoctors
    Pretty decent . Small group attacked away to the finish from the leader group in the finale. Peloton fragmented over the numerous climbs .

Crowds a bit lacking in the climbs I thought. Guess it's not the weekend.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • awavey
    LIZZIE!!!!! 657 days after her last win, Lizzie took the Queen stage victory and overall GC lead by 1 second going into tomorrows 6th and final stage of this years race.

the day started as recent days had with a small break,which had been caught just as the race blew apart on the toughest climb of the day, Epynt, with only just over 20km remaining, Deignan and team mate Longo Borghini broke clear and Niewadoma was the only rider to stay with them, leaving the rest in their wake, only 20 riders reached the finish within 2 minutes of that top 3 group,Liane Lippert the days race leader finished 22nd alongside Wednesdays race leader Lisa Brennauer,21st, as both lost 2mins 19 secs.

Overall GC
    Lizzie Deignan (Gbr) Trek – Segafredo 17:42:24
    Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Canyon – SRAM Racing 0:00:01
    Amy Pieters (Ned) Boels – Dolmans 0:00:32

onto the final stage Carmarthen to Pembrey country park. The 125.9km route features a ride around the Carmarthen Velodrome as part of the neutralised start, Pembrey’s new closed-road cycle circuit, and a trip up Black Mountain (cat 1) and Bethleham Hill (cat 3).

Trek arguably the stronger team on paper than Canyon SRAM, but as weve seen this week anything can happen
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,657
    That's very cool, and beating Niewiadoma proves it was no fluke...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Pretty decent . Small group attacked away to the finish from the leader group in the finale. Peloton fragmented over the numerous climbs .

Crowds a bit lacking in the climbs I thought. Guess it's not the weekend.

The stage was very local to me and I managed to catch it in more than one place.

There were more spectators lining the roads for the first 20 or so miles, up to knighton basically, but the highlights skipped this section of the race.

Due to the route it was never going to be massive numbers at the side of the road as it went in to the heart of mid Wales where there are only small settlements/ populations.

One thing which definitely didn't help though, and I've never experienced this before at a bike race, the motorbike marshalls were dictating where people could stand to watch. I had picked a location half way up a climb, where there was a gateway to a field, so I didn't need to stand on the road. Several others were in similar locations on the hill. When the marshals started passing, as the race approached, we were all shifted! Literally like cattle being herded. They were complete aholes and really let down what should have been a great spectacle.

I have never seen marshals do that before. If the locations were dangerous then that's a different matter, but they were not. I can only assume they wanted to push fans in to larger groups to make crowds look bigger perhaps. Whatever the reason, I was disgusted with their actions and manner.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Sounds like they were looking to keep space free at the side of the road for use by the race convoy. I doubt they’d be interested in how big the crowds look, they are there to ensure that the race passes safely.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    thegibdog wrote:
    Sounds like they were looking to keep space free at the side of the road for use by the race convoy. I doubt they’d be interested in how big the crowds look, they are there to ensure that the race passes safely.

Don't think that was the case. The road was wide, and they shifted all the spectators on the hill further up in to a lay by, which would have been far more suitable for a convoy car needing to pull in.

Been to every stage of the tour and women's tour which has been in Wales over the last few years and never once encountered this.

I appreciate that without marshals the race couldn't happen, but I cannot think of a legitimate reason for them moving us. And their is no excuse for their attitude and language used when doing so.
  • blazing_saddles
    I found it odd that Niewiadoma waited for Deignan to make her move, before counter attacking.
    In other words, I felt see left it too late with only about 500 metres of the climb to go.
    Clearly, she was the strongest on the climb and looked to have Lizzie in a spot of difficulty.
  • mididoctors
    I found it odd that Niewiadoma waited for Deignan to make her move, before counter attacking.
    In other words, I felt see left it too late with only about 500 metres of the climb to go.
    Clearly, she was the strongest on the climb and looked to have Lizzie in a spot of difficulty.

Ensured she wasn't chased to the finish?
  • awavey
    Stage 6...Coryn Rivera led an initial breakaway group of 11 that fluctuated in numbers through the days stage, but she secured the sprints jersey that she held from day 1 as a result. Liane Lippert broke with 20km to go but with Trek controlling the peloton reeled them back in. Nadia Quagliotto (CipolliniTeam) then attacked and took up to 30 seconds till 9km to go, was reeled in again but Grace Brown (Mitchelton SCott) joined Nadia, and worked together so the break was only finally caught with 2km to go from which Amy Pieters sprinted from a bunch sprint beating Leah Kirchmann (Team Sunweb) and Roxane Fournier (Movistar Team) to the line at the end and took the stage victory...Lizzie Deignan finishing 8th, but having doubled her lead through bonus seconds earlier on in the stage, ended up taking the overall GC victory.

20190615-WT-Lizzie-WEB-737x415.jpg

so final Overall GC
    Lizzie Deignan (Gbr) Trek – Segafredo 21:09:25
    Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) Canyon – SRAM Racing 0:00:02
    Amy Pieters (Ned) Boels – Dolmans 0:00:23

fwiw I thought this years edition was the best yet, lots of interest of who might win into the last stage, lots of really hard climbs and stages across the country, the weather didnt help earlier in the race but it built over the week, and I certainly enjoyed following it, and a home win for Lizzie Deignan who now becomes a double winner.

worth remembering in 2015, the year she became world champion, Lizzie won the 1st stage but crashed at the end into the photographers and wasnt able to continue, Ive no doubt she'd have won that years race given the form she was in, so whilst I think Vos was probably the stronger rider going into the race this year and would probably have won had she not been caught up in that crash on stage 3, its that thing about cycling you only win by finishing.

finally worth noting next years race to retain its UCI WWT status will be obliged to provide 45mins of live coverage
  • blazing_saddles
    Very disappointing given the state of play, that on the biggest climb of the race, the bunch rode up it seven abreast and nobody tried anything. Especially given there were quite a few riders up the road.
    Not a lot of tactical nous on display.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001
    frisbee wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Did they determine what caused it - just catching up - couldn't tell if her hand slipped off but it looked almost as if the bars rotated wondered if maybe a bolt on the face plate on the stem had broken ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • I watched highlights last night, the camerman seemed very intent on following Eugenie Duval. Maybe it was her see through shorts...
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Watching them go up Black Mountain made me more satisfied with my effort on the Dragon Ride last year. Though they were not able to stop for an Ice Cream as the ice cream van seemed to replaced by someone's camper van.

As Blazing said, very little action on the only big climb of the day. And they didn't show the descent (which I found terrifying) so clearly no action there, either. I can understand a team defending a one second lead wanting to paralyze the race, but someone should have forced it.