Giro 2018, Stage 20: Susa - Cervinia - 214 kilometres, *Spoilers*

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
edited May 2018 in Pro race
Giro 2018, Stage 20: Susa - Cervinia - 214 kilometres

Saturday, 26 May 2018 - The final mountain stage of the Giro d'Italia is going to finish at the base of the Matterhorn, in Cervinia. The last mountains of the 2018 edition of the Giro d'Italia are tucked away in the last 84 kilometres of the 214 kilometres haul.
Cervinia lies on the southern slopes of the Matterhorn, a giant that’s peaking at 4,478 metres. The village itself is located at 2,006 metres and to get there the riders face a long and irregular climb. False flat sections are interspersed with steeper parts, while the real drudgery is the sheer length of 18.2 kilometres. Just before halfway the steepest kilometre goes up at 9.3%. In the 2015 Giro Fabio Aru won in Cervinia after a 236 kilometres mountain stage. Three years before that, in 2012, Andrey Amador took the stage honours, while Ryder Hesjedal climbed to pink in the ski-resort.
Following 130 kilometres on the flat the Col Tsecore and Col de Saint-Pantaléon are the prelude to the last climb to Cervinia. Arguably, the Tsecore is the hardest climb of the day. At 16 kilometres, the average gradient is 7.7%, while the last 5 kilometres go up at 9.3%.
stage-20-col-tsecore.jpg?01
Up next is the Col de Saint-Pantaléon, a 16.5 kilometres climb at 7.2%. The first half is averaging 7.9% before the second half is an irregular affair with kilometres at 3.2% and 4.1%, while the steepest section is the last 2 kilometres before the top, which rises at 8.9%.
stage-20-col-de-saint-pantaleon.jpg?01
he first 3 kilometres to Cervinia go up at 3.2% and then the slope continues at 7% until halfway up the mountain. But that average gradient is biased as some parts are merely a false flat and the riders also tackle the aforementioned kilometre at 9.3%. After 9.5 kilometres the climb becomes more steady with an average gradient of 6.6% before the last 2 kilometres flatten out to 1.3%.
stage-20-cervinia.jpg?01
The home straight (450 m long, on 7-m wide asphalt road) has a 4% gradient. Note that the route passes through two well-lit tunnels over the final 6 km.

Profile:-
stage-20-profile.jpg?01

Map:-
map-20.jpg

Finish:-
stage-20-5km.jpg?01
stage-20-finish.jpg

SUSA
I have been to Susa more times than I can count.

Susa is located where the plain and the mountains meet at 50 km from Turin.
The town gained the title of “Gateway to Italy” thanks to its strategic position at the crossroads between the Moncenisio and the Monginevro passes.
It was a Celtic settlement, thrived under the Roman Empire and, after a period of decline, flourished again in the Middle Ages.
The town’s long history is apparent in its numerous, exceptional monuments.
Today Susa is a lively town much appreciated by tourists and animated by events which reconnect it to its illustrious past.

MAIN SIGHTS
From the Roman Savoy Gate (3rd-4th century) enter the square dominated by the romanesque-gothic Cathedral dedicated to Saint Just (1027) and the mighty 55-meter-high bell tower.
Walking up the Viale dell’Impero Romano reach the Arch of Augustus (8 B.C.) and on top of the hill find the remains of the ancient castrum, the imposing Roman acqueduct and a rock with Celtic carvings (7 B.C.) at its base.
Beside the castrum stands the Castle of Countess Adelaide (11th century), wife of Oddone of Savoy. Today it houses the Civic Museum.
Following a path passing by the Our Lady of Graces Church (18thcentury) arrive at the Roman Amphitheatre (2nd century A.D.) and then Saint Francis Church (13th century). Leaving behind the remains of the ancient walls, walk to Via Palazzo di Città with the Emblems’ House, Saint Charles Church (17th century) and the Town Hall.
Under the arcades, admire a fresco representing the Holy Shroud of Turin, in a courtyard just opposite see the Rotari Tower (4th century)and, further along, De’ Bartolomei’s House (13th century). In the little square, which used to be the herbs market place, find the remains of the Roman Piedmont Gate (the former Haberdasher’s Gate) with the more recent Civic Tower built on top.
In a courtyard along Via Francesco Rolando, admire the Parliament Tower.
At the end of the street, on the left, find the arcades with 14th century paneled ceilings and Santa Maria Maggiore Church (10th century, not open for services). Walk back to Piazza Savoia and, following the river, reach the bridge with the baroque Madonna of the Bridge Church and the Diocesan Sacred Art Museum.

HISTORY
Population: 6,600
Foundation: Celtic age
Ancient name: Segusium

susa_11.jpg
susa_2.jpg

Susa's sweet focaccia:-
46b4bf964209b29528929e7d1ba3de4e.png

CERVINIA

Breuil-Cervinia is one of the main tourist resorts of the Aosta Valley, belonging to the municipality of Valtournenche. Word-class winter and summer destination, it is located at an altitude of 2050 meters a.s.l. in an alpine setting dominated by the unique Matterhorn pyramid (4478 m.).
MAIN SIGHT
Ski area (350 km of slopes and snowparks connected with Valtournenche and Zermatt in Switzerland – 23 km of slopes also open in summer in Plateau Rosa), Heliski, Ice cave of the Piccolo Cervino, Cervino Golf Club (18 holes), Lago Blu, the museum “Una Montagna di Lavoro” at Plateau Rosa, the via ferratas of Vofrède and Gorbeillon, MTB and downhill routes, hiking trails to several mountain huts and bivouacs.

HISTORY
Inhabitants: 700
Founding: between the 19th and 20th century
Old name: Breuil

VALLE-DAOSTA-MTB-Cervinia-foto-Nicol%C3%B2-Venturin-Chabloz-7956-1024x682.jpg

Favourites 20th stage 2018 Giro d’Italia
*** Miguel Ángel López, Chris Froome, Thibaut Pinot
** Tom Dumoulin, Mikel Nieve, Domenico Pozzovivo
* Richard Carapaz, Davide Formolo, Luis Leon Sanchez, George Bennett
"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• iron_duke
    iron_duke Posts: 117
    Long time lurker on the race threads but have to commend your stage threads starters for the Giro Blazing. Been great reads. Thanks
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,309
    Chapeau on the race threads. You've raised the bar, again.

Note - yesterday and today together is more climbing than an Everest. Like around a vertical km more. Yikes.
    Any of the top could pay for Finestre.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    Would they be HC climbs at Le tour??
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Final proper stage thread before the canter into Rome and have to congratulate Blazing on the stage threads. They have been absolutely top drawer. Well done!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Thanks for the stage intros Blazing and for the Eurosport link!
    Remember if you're watching it today's there's an earlier than usual finish. Around 16.30 local
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,596
    Would they be HC climbs at Le tour??

First two without question.

The final one probably would be but more because it’s the final climb. If it was the first, it could be either HC or 1.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2018
    inseine wrote:
    Thanks for the stage intros Blazing and for the Eurosport link!
    Remember if you're watching it today's there's an earlier than usual finish. Around 16.30 local

Wow and thanks back at you. I hadn't realised.
    Live coverage starts early at 11-15 BST, too.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Thanks for all your hard work on the intro's Blazing.

Just for info don't get caught out, the stage is going to finish around 90 mins earlier than usual.

Edit - late again :D ^^^^
  • blazing_saddles
    http://www.steephill.tv/2018/giro-d-ita ... ble-20.pdf

So on UK time the finish is scheduled for 3-04 to 3-53pm.
  • rick_chasey
    Those timings are super inconvenient.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Final proper stage thread before the canter into Rome and have to congratulate Blazing on the stage threads. They have been absolutely top drawer. Well done!

I too congratulate and thank 'Blazing' for the background and 'scene setting' - superb.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Many thanks for all the stage intros, Blazing. Much appreciated.

If the Cervinia climb was ascended earlier in the race you would say it's long, but not that hard. After 3 weeks and the efforts from yesterday still in their legs it might as well be Mont Ventoux.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    Those timings are super inconvenient.

They'll all be wrecked. The gc guys could roll in half an hour after the slowest schedule
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    After yesterday, which was the most fun I'd ever had fully clothed, I am looking forward to round 2 this evening (HK time). Not sure how it can get any more thrilling, unless Tom of the Mill was keeping something in reserve or Froome is abducted by aliens mid-stage. That first climb looks particularly challenging with about 3km at over 11% :shock:

An excellent stage intro today, thank you. No mention of sausages, though. Just wondering what the local delicacy is? Asking for a friend, like.

I'll be watching on Rai again, which reminds me, I must go and buy some caffeine-based shampoo. Can anyone recommend a brand?

They are just rolling through the neutralised zone now - let the games begin. :)
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • This is the first Giro I've properly watched, not just highlights, and these stage intros are awesome. Really appreciate all the effort you put in! Thanks Blazing
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,225
    Day after zoncolan, froome lost 51 seconds to dumoulin.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Day after zoncolan, froome lost 51 seconds to dumoulin.

But he wasn't as in form as he is now, so think that may be different today. At least I hope so.
  • Well, here we go then. It’s gonna be... interesting
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    Many thanks Blazing, always have this page up when watching the stage.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    If Sunweb take the race to sky today I reckon there is a 50-50 chance they take pink.

If they faff about and wait for someone else to race, Froome will add 20 more seconds
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    ddraver wrote:
    If Sunweb take the race to sky today I reckon there is a 50-50 chance they take pink.

If they faff about and wait for someone else to race, Froome will add 20 more seconds
    Do they have the team to do it though? Only Ooman and ten Dam have been visible
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,578
    Dumoulin may already have been in pink if he hadn't messed around waiting for others to help
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    I have to echo the appreciation for Blazing’s superb starters, and also to all the contributors for the insights, lols and bants. Coupled with the most competitive gt I’ve followed it’s been a great three weeks.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    So this has already started then? Apparently 55km in and Tiny Martin in the break
  • TheBigBean
  • rick_chasey
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Dumoulin may already have been in pink if he hadn't messed around waiting for others to help

Nah I don’t think he had the legs tbh.

He was sheltered for at least half the valley and climbed the final climb at the same pace as Froome.
  • TheBigBean
    The break:

Matteo Montaguti (AG2R La Mondiale), Francesco Gavazzi, Davide Ballerini, Manuel Belletti, Marco Frapporti (Androni-Sidermec), Matej Mohoric, Giovanni Visconti (Bahrain-Merida), Giulio Ciccone, Enrico Barbin (Bardiani-CSF), Felix Grossschartner, Andreas Schillinger (Bora-hansgrohe), Matthieu Ladagnous (Groupama-FDJ), Krists Neilands (Israel Cycling Academy), Roman Kreuziger, Mikel Nieve (Mitchelton-Scott), Elia Viviani (Quick-Step Floors), Michael Woods (EF-Drapac), Maurits Lammertink, Tony Martin (Katusha-Alpecin), Koen Bouwman, Robert Gesink, Bert-Jan Lindeman (LottoNL-Jumbo), Gianluca Brambilla (Trek-Segafredo), Valerio Conti, Vegard Stake Laengen, Marco Marcato (UAE Team Emirates), Jacopo Mosca (Wilier-Selle Italia).
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Echo the thanks to Blazing!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Commentators can save valuable seconds on the climbs today by adopting the phrase Froomoulin
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    The best GC rider in the breakaway is Woods - 21st at 57.14

If Ciccone takes both the first two mountains he will be one point behind Froome for KOM. Then need to come in the top seven to beat him.

It's a good break for Sky. They'll let it win the stage I think (generally breakaways succeed more when Sky are leading)
    Twitter: @RichN95