Rest day discussion & observations

124»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    No he’s really not happy.
    Everything I've seen about Dutch sportsmen across a few sports is they are all very negative. The football team is famous for destroying itself with in-fighting.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Yeah all the Welsh do is sing songs and call each other Jones.

Keeps morale up or something.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    At least we have music. Dutch music is so notoriously awful - widely regarded as the worst in the world - that in 1962 a seven year old Dutch boy, the first Dutch person ever to show musical talent, had to be smuggled away to America by his parents Mr and Mrs van Halen so save him from its awfulness.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Ooh dear, bit of an eruption of nationalistic tension here!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,154
    He reckons tailwind = no pink
    Headwind = pink.

What does he reckon on no wind, cos that's what is forecast.

https://www.3bmeteo.com/meteo/trento/1

2-3km/h direction variable.

Why does wind like that never happen on the R10/17?
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    He reckons tailwind = no pink

Is this a comment on Tom's digestive problems?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • rick_chasey
    bompington wrote:

Perhaps my attempt to show how stupid comments about nationalities like that are failed.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    Everything I've seen about Dutch sportsmen across a few sports is they are all very negative. The football team is famous for destroying itself with in-fighting.

They're not. Really there is a huge difference if speaking Dutch or English. As someone who moved to NL 6 years ago and has learnt the language I have realised that while most Dutch people speak very good English, few speak it to a level where they are able to really express emotion and/or their true character, this comes across in English as being negative/boring. The Dutch are also very honest when speaking which of course can be read as negative when it is probably just being realistic. However, when speaking Dutch the nuance comes in, the dry humour etc.

Just watch the interviews with Arjen Robben after NL's victory over Spain in the last World Cup. His English interview was really boring and matter-of-fact, his interview in Dutch was joyful and hilarious.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    The Dutch are also very honest when speaking which of course can be read as negative when it is probably just being realistic. However, when speaking Dutch the nuance comes in, the dry humour etc.

My experience of the Dutch is that they can be extremely blunt, which can come across as rude to an English person who is used to being a lot more "diplomatic". I think Dumoulin probably fits that?
  • above_the_cows
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    The Dutch are also very honest when speaking which of course can be read as negative when it is probably just being realistic. However, when speaking Dutch the nuance comes in, the dry humour etc.

My experience of the Dutch is that they can be extremely blunt, which can come across as rude to an English person who is used to being a lot more "diplomatic". I think Dumoulin probably fits that?

But that bluntness is magnified when speaking English, Dutch as a language is itself blunter than English. If you translate straight from Dutch to English, rather than translating with cultural context also, this comes across as bluntness, when in Dutch it isn't blunt. It's just normal Dutch.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    bompington wrote:

Perhaps my attempt to show how stupid comments about nationalities like that are failed.
    No, I think it just made him jump.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff wrote:

But that bluntness is magnified when speaking English, Dutch as a language is itself blunter than English. If you translate straight from Dutch to English, rather than translating with cultural context also, this comes across as bluntness, when in Dutch it isn't blunt. It's just normal Dutch.

My experience is that when we are thinking "what you've done is rubbish, do it again and do it properly" we would normally say something like "I understand what you're saying, but maybe you should consider doing it like this instead", Dutch people don't do that sugar coating. Maybe they wouldn't call your work rubbish and just say it's not right, but that's basically it.

Norwegians are worse because they just say yes to everything and everything is done by committee :D
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    In other rest day news they answered my flat white question on the podcast so my day is made...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    That was you? I was just listening to that on my lunch :lol:
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    RichN95 wrote:
    At least we have music. Dutch music is so notoriously awful - widely regarded as the worst in the world - that in 1962 a seven year old Dutch boy, the first Dutch person ever to show musical talent, had to be smuggled away to America by his parents Mr and Mrs van Halen so save him from its awfulness.

Just to add to this, it's a little known fact that the 'brains' behind 2 Unlimited* were actually Belgian, but moved to Amsterdam as it's the only place they'd have been allowed to get away with it.

*Techno! Techno! Techno! Techno! Techno!"
  • bobmcstuff
    Graeme_S wrote:
    That was you? I was just listening to that on my lunch :lol:

Haha, same. Naturally Friebe was dead against.
  • rick_chasey
    ddraver wrote:
    In other rest day news they answered my flat white question on the podcast so my day is made...

s-l300.jpg

A flat white only exists because people can’t make normal cappuccinos. 150-180ml with a single espresso shot.

I end up having to order a flat white to avoid receiving some cup that’s more appropriate for a glamour model’s bra rather than for coffee.

Italy has none of this half a litre of frothy milk and about 4 espressos worth of unbelievabley acrid nasty coffee that is only bearable when doused with tonnes of sour milk. That it is single origin means f@ck all if it still tastes disgusting.

Never try an espresso at a London coffee place that prides itself on coffee. Absolutely foul experience.
  • bobmcstuff
    I quite like a flat white. Or a cortado...

My biggest issue with cappuccinos in the UK is their insistence on chucking half a pound of cocoa powder on top of it without asking. If I wanted chocolate coffee I'd get a mocha!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Americans are wrong about the metric system but oz are useful for this...

Espresso - shot 2oz (double espresso)
    FW- 4 to 5oz minimal steaming
    Cappuccino - 6 to 8 Oz lots of steaming
    Latte - 10 to 12oz moderate steming

Flat whites are good because they allow the taste of a proper specialty coffee to come through. In Italy you need to smash down the over roasted burnt flavours with a load of milk (or just shoot the espresso like a rubbish vodka shot)

Also, I didn't realise quite how stoned I sounded. I should have done a rehearsal...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455
    RichN95 wrote:

They're not. Really there is a huge difference if speaking Dutch or English. As someone who moved to NL 6 years ago and has learnt the language I have realised that while most Dutch people speak very good English, few speak it to a level where they are able to really express emotion and/or their true character, this comes across in English as being negative/boring. The Dutch are also very honest when speaking which of course can be read as negative when it is probably just being realistic. However, when speaking Dutch the nuance comes in, the dry humour etc.

Just watch the interviews with Arjen Robben after NL's victory over Spain in the last World Cup. His English interview was really boring and matter-of-fact, his interview in Dutch was joyful and hilarious.
    Living in Germany, I have yet to find this thing called "humour"... :wink:
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023