Giro 2018, Stage 15: Tolmezzo - Sappada, 176 kilometres *Spoilers*

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    ddraver wrote:

Today in particular somewhat blows a hole in the 'Sky are so dominant' narrative. As we saw, riders are only to happy to give up and race for podium places rather than the win these days. Taking nothing from Yates, they (apart from Tommy) just let him go...
    Pinot tried as well. Pozzovivo didn't. Lopez and Carparaz are racing each other, not Yates.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    True....true...

Can Froome and Pinot share 3rd somehow? Just coz....you know, cute
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702
    ddraver wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Anyone fancy a guess on the Asylum's take on this :lol:

The asylum is a bit redundant at the moment.
    Seems that the road race section has had their "no doping talk" rule temporarily relaxed, due to the fact that another GB rider is kicking posterior. :wink:

Today in particular somewhat blows a hole in the 'Sky are so dominant' narrative. As we saw, riders are only to happy to give up and race for podium places rather than the win these days. Taking nothing from Yates, they (apart from Tommy) just let him go...

Not sure why you give Tommy a pass on letting Yates go. To me, he was the worst culprit.
    Rather than come to the front, assume the position and drive the group for a bit, he came to the front, immediately sat up and gave them the come through motion. Which of course, given his contribution, they didn't. Hardly leading by example.

As for the rest: why Pinot and Pozzo would worry more about the white jersey duo playing games, rather than going for time on the guy would will kill them in the ITT, is well, insane.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I think Tommy was trying to get help off the other guys to chase the race win. It was perhaps a forlorn hope.

However I'm thinking you and I may have been a bit quick to dismiss Chasey's reports of him not feeling like he's in tip top shape yesterday. 2017 Tom wouldn't have lost so much ground to Yates
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Pmsl

That was great
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,644
    Tom is usually (too) honest and we love him for it.

That includes his moaning.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313

I give those wanging on about how good Yates is about a year before they start wanging on about how dull he is and how his racing style is predictable... before wanging on about how he must be doping. Never once do the wangers stop to consider that their wanging is wang.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,448
    OCDuPalais wrote:

I give those wanging on about how good Yates is about a year before they start wanging on about how dull he is and how his racing style is predictable... before wanging on about how he must be doping. Never once do the wangers stop to consider that their wanging is wang.

Oh it’s already started on the FB cycling pages. He’s winning so he’s doped to the gills.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 6,033
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Is that numberwang? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • rick_chasey
    Ah they’re not fans.

When was the last time we saw the race leader attack 17km out solo (having already tried earlier!!)??

Good fun.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    NorvernRob wrote:
    OCDuPalais wrote:

Oh it’s already started on the FB cycling pages. He’s winning so he’s doped to the gills.
    Yep, I saw the first comment on twitter before he had even crossed the line today. Who, on the final climb of a stage, pulls their calculator out rattles off a quick w/kg calculation and then uses as a stick to beat the winner with? Why do they bother watching?
  • rick_chasey
    “I don’t give a damn at this point. I’m totally f@ked now,” Dumoulin stewed. “I had to dig so deep to stay with those other riders after Yates’ attack. And in the end it didn’t even matter, cause everybody there was just taking the p!ss. If I immediately started riding by myself, I would have lost a lot less time on Yates. Because of them taking the p!ss I lose a lot more.”

See, love it when he says what he thinks.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Enjoyed that, Yates showing class there.
    Not really confident it’s cut and dry yet. Two days ago eveyone predicting at least 2min loss on TT, I think this is still likely, but Yates looking strong enough to nick a few more seconds in the final week.

Can’t help wondering whether FF could bring himself to admire an Anglo rider - there was a touch of Bertie in today’s attack.
    I thought a dash of pantani the way he was attacking the mountain in the drops. Very aggressive.
  • Frank Wilson
    Frank Wilson Posts: 930
    Where did Ciccone go, was he teleported off the hill?
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    “If I immediately started riding by myself, I would have lost a lot less time on Yates. Because of them taking the p!ss I lose a lot more.”

Errm, yeh. That's why you should have just got your head down and focused on the guy you're actually racing.

He can see the Giro is slipping away I think so is lashing out at people. Pinot and Pozzo did exactly what any other rider would have done in that situation (up until they dropped Dumoulin that is).
  • Richmond Racer 2
    Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
    Hi y'all

Am loving this race, and Yates, S is a monster

Please and thank you.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,531
    So is he admitting that he should have just ridden rather than mess around? It is one thing to suggest they could have collectively ridden quicker, it is another to suggest the riders slowed him down.
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    No!!!!!!!!!!! BBC news just called Yates the Flying Black Pudding
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,702

BlackPuddingThrowing_1.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133

That's good, he is frying his rivals
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    Black pudding- the breakfast of champions. I watched the highlights late last night. What an incredible ride. how on earth did he have the confidence to know he could do that?
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485

Speaking as an ex-pat of Bury, frying of black pudding is an abomination and is frowned upon. Black puddings are the original boil in the bag meal, and should be served with a helping of white bread and thick butter, potentially with some strong english mustard.

Make what cycling relevance of that as you will.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    mrfpb wrote:
    Black pudding- the breakfast of champions. I watched the highlights late last night. What an incredible ride. how on earth did he have the confidence to know he could do that?
    aye but its Stornoway black pudding that's king, not that Bury crap :twisted:
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    “I don’t give a damn at this point. I’m totally f@ked now,” Dumoulin stewed. “I had to dig so deep to stay with those other riders after Yates’ attack. And in the end it didn’t even matter, cause everybody there was just taking the p!ss. If I immediately started riding by myself, I would have lost a lot less time on Yates. Because of them taking the p!ss I lose a lot more.”

See, love it when he says what he thinks.

This is why I like Dumoulin. Although it was obvious why Beavis and Butthead aka Pozzovivo and Pinot were taking the wee-wee (they weren't going to ride to help Dumoulin), Tom's a smart dude, smart enough to get into the medical school lottery so... Anyway I do like his honesty, nothing will beat his gewoone kut poep comment from last year.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    larkim wrote:

Speaking as an ex-pat of Bury, frying of black pudding is an abomination and is frowned upon. Black puddings are the original boil in the bag meal, and should be served with a helping of white bread and thick butter, potentially with some strong english mustard.

I have never seen a black pudding in a bag! You Lancashire folks be crazy..
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    larkim wrote:

I have never seen a black pudding in a bag! You Lancashire folks be crazy..
    What do you think that skin around the outside is?!?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    ddraver wrote:

A Yatesey, Tommy, Froomey podium would be a rather nice way to finish up. Not like the others have done a lot of actual racing
    a little bit harsh. questionable tactics at times but they look a bit pinned to me.

Pinot has attacked to no avail. pozzo and pinot have ridden with poor tactics so deserve some ire to my mind. lopez has underwhelmed as a leader. carapaz seized his opportunity and clipped off for a stage.

it does looks likely that the third step will be pozzo or pinot both of whom definitely get a "could do better" on their report cards.

but it's easy sitting here watching... it's not like they aren't trying. a few too many cycling excuses at the finish thou :)
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    mrfpb wrote:
    aye but its Stornoway black pudding that's king, not that Bury crap :twisted:

Meanwhile across the Pennines
    https://youtu.be/de7P8Ngx-_4?t=18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,760
    I missed the start of yesterday's stage - who was policing the breakaway that meant it took so long to get established?

It feels as though Mitchelton-Scott have got lucky with the number of teams who are wanting to close down breaks, meaning they haven't had to sit on the front of the peleton controlling the pace so much. Team EF Education First Drapac powered by Cannondale did the work yesterday to no result.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Oh Goodie!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.