Giro 2018, Stage 15: Tolmezzo - Sappada, 176 kilometres *Spoilers*

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    The_Boy wrote:
    Milton50 wrote:
    gaining 1:30 on Pinot and Pozzo over long mountain stages and a TT is not out of the question.

Perhaps not, but he'd still be about 50s short wouldn't he?

Correct. Just testing :wink:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I'm dubious that Yates can keep this up. He'll have to pay for it at some point. The lack of attacking intent from the others may help him though.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    There's little evidence that Yates is digging any deeper into his personal reserves than anyone chasing him. He's just got deeper reserves for this race.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    iainf72 wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    shame for the race froome is out of it...

He was never in it thank God. Nice open exciting Giro which is what we need. Let SKY pollute the Tour not the Giro

Aren't Mitchelton-Scott basically riding like Sky?
    Well yeah but they haven’t got Sky written on their jerseys so, you know...
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    RichN95 wrote:
    I'm dubious that Yates can keep this up. He'll have to pay for it at some point. The lack of attacking intent from the others may help him though.
    It's going to take a seriously bad day from him to bring any contest back to the Giro. He's absolutely running away with it - I wouldn't be surprised if Yates takes a top 3 on the TT and is within a minute of Dumoulin.

Honestly couldn't believe what I was watching today. I thought it was a day that GC would watch each other and let a break take it. How are they keeping up this intensity? Who attacks, in pink, 15km out the day after the Zoncolan?

Yates absolutely on another level. Bit disappointed really, either no change in GC or perhaps Froome taking 20 seconds would have really left it poised for the final week - now I'm rather less excited than I was yesterday.

Still, the Giro has surprised me so far, hopefully it will keep doing so. Right now I feel like you could bet the Farm on a Yates-Dumoulin 1-2 (in that order!)
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,703
    RichN95 wrote:

Please God no, but I am also not sure.
    Nobody else who is still in the frame deserves it.
    Today's stage had the look of a Classica San Seb about it, so nobody should be overly surprised by the result.
    Those stages in the Alps are a totally different prospect.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

This.

Looking this impressive for 2 weeks is one thing but 3 is different. A lot could happen
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    I'm scared of a yates collapse too.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    TimothyW wrote:
    Who attacks, in pink, 15km out the day after the Zoncolan?
    Simon Yates.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Simon and Tim Kennaugh let me swap turns with them in the 09 Eddie Soens then panned my head in, when he was about 16.

Think he was trying harder then. Outrageous.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,390
    A Mitchelton Scott Sky alliance would be good, if Froome feels the win is beyond him, but a podium isn't.

Really hope Yates doesn't crack, he's taken the fight to everyone else and deserves to win. When the race leader has 3 stage wins and could have had a couple more suggests that it would be simply wrong for a TTer to take it overall.
  • blazing_saddles
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    A Mitchelton Scott Sky alliance would be good, if Froome feels the win is beyond him, but a podium isn't.

Really hope Yates doesn't crack, he's taken the fight to everyone else and deserves to win. When the race leader has 3 stage wins and could have had a couple more suggests that it would be simply wrong for a TTer to take it overall.

Thinking back to last year, there was a bit of a Dutch cabal in the third week.
    Mollema and Kruijswijk handing out the odd bit of domestic help to Tom, when Sunweb were used up and they were on hand.
    Be ironic if things in the third week played out along the same lines this year, but with rolls reversed.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Really can't see Froome being that arsed about 2nd or 3rd in the Giro - he's a 4x Tour and 1x Vuelta winner.

He may fancy another stage though, if he recovers.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Chavez finished 103rd, 29:15 down. WTF is wrong with the poor little guy?

Also a reminder of how quickly fortunes can change.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Really can't see Froome being that arsed about 2nd or 3rd in the Giro - he's a 4x Tour and 1x Vuelta winner.

you could be right actually thinking about it. probably decide more after the tt and re-evaluate?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    Anyone fancy a guess on the Asylum's take on this :lol:
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:

has to be ill.
  • bobmcstuff
    iainf72 wrote:

:cry:

Gotta be ill, surely
  • Yeah, can’t see such a drop being anything else really.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

:cry:

Gotta be ill, surely

He didn't mention any illness in his interview before today's stage and surely, after what he went through over the last year or so, the team would have pulled him if he was.

I think it's more likely he is still fighting his way back to fitness and simply put too much in to the first week.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    iainf72 wrote:
    Shipley wrote:
    shame for the race froome is out of it...

He was never in it thank God. Nice open exciting Giro which is what we need. Let SKY pollute the Tour not the Giro

Aren't Mitchelton-Scott basically riding like Sky?

Well, Sky aren't riding like Sky, that's for sure. :wink:
    Shipley is probably routing for a more attacking rider than Froome.
    Someone like Tom Dumoulin for instance. :lol:
    Every rider in Sky is awful... riders like Rowe, Stannard, Kiryienka, Poels, G, Froome... the lot of them. All awful. Awful riders awful people awful team. None of them ever do anything to add to a race yet always win everything. Except for the 5 I’ve mentioned who haven’t won nothing for ages. No, 6. Because they’re awful. Agree with Shipeley that it’s good that Sky are nowhere in the Giro. Team Shite, more like...
    And don’t get me started on this new breed of cretins coming through that they’ve manufactured... Bernard and Georgian Heart, etc... they disgust me.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,970
    Dorset Boy wrote:

Thinking back to last year, there was a bit of a Dutch cabal in the third week.
    Mollema and Kruijswijk handing out the odd bit of domestic help to Tom, when Sunweb were used up and they were on hand.
    Be ironic if things in the third week played out along the same lines this year, but with rolls reversed.
    Less ironic than a good example of how professional cycling really works.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Enjoyed that, Yates showing class there.
    Not really confident it’s cut and dry yet. Two days ago eveyone predicting at least 2min loss on TT, I think this is still likely, but Yates looking strong enough to nick a few more seconds in the final week.

Can’t help wondering whether FF could bring himself to admire an Anglo rider - there was a touch of Bertie in today’s attack.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    It's funny how we all crave some panache yet when we see it we worry he's done too much.
    It's been magnificent whatever happens
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Can’t help wondering whether FF could bring himself to admire an Anglo rider - there was a touch of Bertie in today’s attack.
    When he was winning races, Contador was a generally conservative rider (the 2011 Giro being an exception)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    Poor Dowsett.

Had his phone nicked from his bed whilst he was sleeping in it. Apparently someone actually walked in and nicked it whilst he was asleep.

Understandably a bit rattled by it.
  • blazing_saddles
    bobmcstuff wrote:

The asylum is a bit redundant at the moment.
    Seems that the road race section has had their "no doping talk" rule temporarily relaxed, due to the fact that another GB rider is kicking posterior. :wink:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Dorset Boy wrote:

you could be right actually thinking about it. probably decide more after the tt and re-evaluate?

As much as I agree with you, if he puts in a great TT, he'd win a lot of fans putting in a gutsy performance to finish on the podium.

A Yatesey, Tommy, Froomey podium would be a rather nice way to finish up. Not like the others have done a lot of actual racing
    bobmcstuff wrote:

The asylum is a bit redundant at the moment.
    Seems that the road race section has had their "no doping talk" rule temporarily relaxed, due to the fact that another GB rider is kicking posterior. :wink:

Today in particular somewhat blows a hole in the 'Sky are so dominant' narrative. As we saw, riders are only to happy to give up and race for podium places rather than the win these days. Taking nothing from Yates, they (apart from Tommy) just let him go...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Poor Dowsett.

Had his phone nicked from his bed whilst he was sleeping in it. Apparently someone actually walked in and nicked it whilst he was asleep.

Understandably a bit rattled by it.

Happened to us in a ski resort once. THy did the whole appartment block
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Froome was allowed to use a motor yesterday, then it was asked why could have he used for doping that would give him a one day super peak yet make him donkey the next day? No one can seem to answer that because as we know doping isn’t about one day super peaks, the are really struggling with the fact Froome struggles for form and injuries but laid it all out just for a stage win