Giro 2018, Stage 15: Tolmezzo - Sappada, 176 kilometres *Spoilers*

Comments

• twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,442
    He seems to be the only one trying to win it at least, so from that point of view I agree.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,870
    Have to say that Rich called it, when he said Froome had to get through today's shorter climbs.
    He didn't and now even the podium looks distant.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Milton50 wrote:
    Don't think there's any doubt now that Yates is the strongest rider in the race.

Fair play to Dumoulin for pulling that back.

Kirby a total moron as always.
    Yup Kirby really pushing the envelope of buffoonery today
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    adr82 wrote:
    Yates 6s away from winning both stages this weekend

Could have been on 5 stages at this point!
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant........ step up Mr Yates.

The sack of spanner could've taken 15 seconds out of TD if they'd actually raced.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    They’re racing for podiums not pink.

This does my head in, it's like the football when u get a "champions league" place for finishing 4th... does no one want to win anymore???

But they weren't even racing for the podium, when Dumoulin was dropped they had the chance to put some time into Dumoulin before the TT which neither of them excel at, to preserve their podiums and they couldn't even do that, they just fannied about looking at each other.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    well done Yates, total horse shit from Lopez, Carapaz and Pozzo
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Unbelievable ride from Yates there. Mental.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,970
    Pozzo and Pinot? Dumber than a bag of spanners.

2'-11" lead into the ITT.

wasn't stellar tactics, was it?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Well their fannying about has let Tom get back.

“Fannying about”? Nice turn of phrase. Unusual to hear that verb outside of Glasgow :D

Fits perfectly. That's exactly what they were doing.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Why does Kirby always try to talk as if he’s in some poncey west end stage show about utter nonsense . A total fandan !!!
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,442
    They’re racing for podiums not pink.

This does my head in, it's like the football when u get a "champions league" place for finishing 4th... does no one want to win anymore???

But they weren't even racing for the podium, when Dumoulin was dropped they had the chance to put some time into Dumoulin before the TT which neither of them excel at, to preserve their podiums and they couldn't even do that, they just fannied about looking at each other.

Can't disagree, Pinot talking sh!te now on Eurosport
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,239
    Well their fannying about has let Tom get back.

“Fannying about”? Nice turn of phrase. Unusual to hear that verb outside of Glasgow :D

Fits perfectly. That's exactly what they were doing.

Not only that - a pleasant alternative to “dicking about”.
  • mididoctors
    shame for the race froome is out of it...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Super impressive by Yates again. Peanut shaking his head at the others tells the story. And fair play to Dumoulin. He just never gives in. Gap is looking more healthy for Yates now. Might just hold onto the jersey after the TT but if he loses it, it's not going to be by much. Set up for a brilliant last week.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,239
    Yeah but he’s not. He (and his team) can cause all sorts of mayhem. Exactly what this last week’s stages are designed for...
  • topper_harley
    topper_harley Posts: 597
    everyone but Yates is out the race
  • How lumpy is the last week?
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    Juan Antonio flècha always sounds as if he’s reading it backwards :D
  • mididoctors
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Yeah but he’s not. He (and his team) can cause all sorts of mayhem. Exactly what this last week’s stages are designed for...

mmm yeah..

the bottom step of the podium is still not impossible looking at the gc..thou froome needs an excellent tt
  • mididoctors
    How lumpy is the last week?

immensely 3 alpine stages... 2 pretty insane
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,344
    How lumpy is the last week?

Three MTFs.

Makes it about as lumpy as 1980's school dinner custard.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549

He was never in it thank God. Nice open exciting Giro which is what we need. Let SKY pollute the Tour not the Giro
  • mididoctors
    Shipley wrote:

He was never in it thank God. Nice open exciting Giro which is what we need. Let SKY pollute the Tour not the Giro

sky pollution LOL

not a big fan I take it.
  • That quick 1-2 by Yates was glorious. No chance for anyone to recover from marking him the first time.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Shipley wrote:

Aren't Mitchelton-Scott basically riding like Sky?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    iainf72 wrote:
    Shipley wrote:

hi iain
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Wouldn't say Froome is completely out of contention for a podium you know.

It should be Yates-Dumoulin in the top two spots barring accidents but gaining 1:30 on Pinot and Pozzo over long mountain stages and a TT is not out of the question depending on the shape he is in.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,870
    iainf72 wrote:
    Shipley wrote:

Well, Sky aren't riding like Sky, that's for sure. :wink:
    Shipley is probably routing for a more attacking rider than Froome.
    Someone like Tom Dumoulin for instance. :lol:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Milton50 wrote:
    gaining 1:30 on Pinot and Pozzo over long mountain stages and a TT is not out of the question.

Perhaps not, but he'd still be about 50s short wouldn't he?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy