Too good to be true? IQ2 Power meter on Kickstarter - going to sell for as little as £130

124»

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    Anyone got their IQ2 yet?
    Garmin have released an SPD power meter now: https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/training/power-meters/garmin-rally-rs200-power-meter-pedals-review/ (comes in SPD, SPD-SL and Keo)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,593
    Just thought I would kind of update this thread - not much going on in recent months, the last update was August 2nd:

"We have recently received the first pre-pilot run from our manufacturing partner and are happy we can share positive results. The calibration is good and after taking all power meters apart and inspecting them we can conclude that aside from some minor improvements we’re ready to continue to the first pilot run.

Keep you posted,"

I've pretty much written it off if we're being honest, it's so long ago now, it's almost ceasing to be relevant, especially as I have two 4iiiis winging there way to me from pbk as I type.

I've also asked them to deliver the parcel, should it ever materialise, to my brother who lives in Italy, as I didn't want to get hit with all the extra customs fees etc, and as I will already have 4 power meters by that point, he can use them on the CR1 SL that he is unaware will be coming his way in due course.

I'l try and remember to update should anything happen.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • thistle_
    daniel_b said:

Just thought I would kind of update this thread - not much going on in recent months, the last update was August 2nd....

Their website still says "Expected delivery mid 2021".

The Garmin Rally is available now, and the SRM X Power is showing as available so I'm wondering if they've missed the boat now.
  • vegas76
    vegas76 Posts: 278
    If they can pull off a power meter for this price there will always be a market.

I however, just got some Faverro Duo-Shi and I'm very happy with them. The Q Factor increase doesn't bother me at all.
  • I think as long as you view a Kickstarter project as a punt that never comes off, that is the best way to approach it. That way, if the product does ever materialise, it will be a welcome surprise.

I backed a cycling project a few years back. Similar story, delivery date pushed back constantly, went from 6 months to 2 years. Then the original owner sold the company and never informed backers. The new owner did get the product made but started flogging them rather than fulfil orders with KS backers!! Fortunately after a strongly worded email, mine arrived the next day!
  • daniel_b
    Totally agree, it very much is a punt, and anyone who thinks it is a done deal shouldn't partake.

I've backed maybe 4 or so in the past, all the others have come through, some jerseys I went for were majorly disappointing, although on time - just average quality and fit, T-Cycling or something it was called, might still be going, but seems unlikely.

Trying to remember what the other ones were - one was the light up water bottles for safety, another one was a multitool with tyre levers or something - seemed a good idea at the time!
    Oh yeh, think I backed one of the See Sense lights product runs.

Nearly backed tailfin but didn't, conversely may actually have a reason to buy one next year!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    No updates now since August or something last year, there is a Facebook page for disgruntled backers :D

Most people saying it is definitively a scam now, though I suspect it didn't start out as such - can't see why you would go to the trouble of making working prototypes if so.
    Looks like a fair few key people have moved onto other companies now as well, so pretty sure it has been comprehensively abandoned.
    No updates on kickstarter for 5-6 months, nothing on the facebook page etc.
    Also others spotting that new kickstarter campaigns have been started by some of the people involved with this one :D

My original punt was April 2018, so coming up on 4 years.

Looks like some people bought direct from their 'store' and they can get money back via their payment method, but no such avenues for kickstarter or indiegogo backers, which is understood I feel.

This failed project also featured on a GCN Tech show recently as well.

Prophetically Barry was spot on with his thread title!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Very annoying but that is the nature of investment projects very few make it too market
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • thistle_
    itboffin said:

Very annoying but that is the nature of investment projects very few make it too market

Which is a shame because they were filling a gap in the market, which the big boys now seem to have cottoned onto.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    On a whim I dropped a message on the FB page a couple of days ago, asking for any update, or if the page was even being monitored anymore.

Yesterday I had a reply of sorts:

"Hi Dan,

Ever since, we have been working on finding solutions and we’re currently running parallel trials in China, Germany and The Netherlands. These processes involve repeated trial and error and therefore take up a lot of time.

Solving this really is the final step before being able to mass-produce an affordable and accurate power meter for all the cyclists out there
    ."

So ummm, yeh, who can say - I've written it off completely now, but if it turns up at some point, then I'm sure I can make use of it, or find a home for it somewhere, or with a friend/family member.

I currently have 2 pairs of garmin vector 2 (dual sided) pedals which are currently fitted on the CR1 SL and the Foil, and 2 newly purchased 4iiiiiiii crank arms which are destined for the Addict, and the not due for 6 months Addict Gravel.
    So technically I have no need for another one - though had this come through earlier, I would likely not have made the two recent purchases, although they were comparatively very good value (One was below £200), far better than anything that was around in 2018 at any rate.
    I recall when the original Vectors came out and they were £1200!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    So after months of silence on the official pages, this was posted yesterday :D

"I am sorry for the long delay in producing a update.

We started our journey on a “quest” to produce a affordable power meter, with the emphasize on affordable, not just another power meter. We found out that the production-method of the sensor should be different, to reduce the calibration steps massively. Production cost-reduction and scalability would be the most important results doing so.

We found THE solution in “thin film deposition technology” to build up the sensor in the most stable way. The disadvantage of this process is the time it takes to build up these layers, nearly atom for atom. And although the layers are unimaginable thin it takes around 24 hours to build them up. This translates in a high price per surface used in the machine.

In the beginning with our first approach using a smaller unit between crankarm and pedal, the metal unit created a reasonable small footprint in the machine with a tolerable price-tag.

Since we had to switch to a pedal, the sensor had to be directly on the axle, many times bigger than its predecessor with a much bigger price-tag.

The design of the pedal axle was made with much care, getting rid of the negative influences that caused the failure of first power meter, but also limiting the awaited price-rise based on the size of the axle. We worked closely together with the company making the sensors (SMD sensors) in the design process, in an attempt to keep the outcome affordable! Their solution was to create the sensor on a small metal pad, and laser-weld that on the axle. After many trails it became apparent that the welding created a instability worse than the first power meter approach…

We had to go on, creating the sensor directly on the axle, with a very stable power meter as result, but with a price-tag that was far too big! The current company couldn’t/wouldn’t leave their level of pricing, creating a huge problem, for there aren’t many company’s doing what they do…

We are currently searching for a substitute in China, Germany and Holland, and are running parallel trails/tests, but they take time.

Kind regards,

Team iQsquare"
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • thistle_
    At least they've stopped taking orders now.

I think Favero have the sensor in a collar on the spindle, I wonder how Garmin and SRM have got around this problem - maybe by charging more for the pedal?
  • daniel_b
    edited October 2022
    Not really an update, but I think most of you knew already this had died a death.

As far as I know the updates have ceased, so it's a loss, but I knew it was a gamble.

I have a 4iiii crank now, and some assioma duos, and they seem to more that adequately fulfill the role these phantom pedals were going to fill.

Even if they are delivered, they will go to a place in Italy where my brother no longer lives, but it was such a hassle to get the delivery address changed, I really can't begin to think about attempting to change the address for a product that if it arrives will almost certainly barely be fit for purpose - well other than a pedal I suppose.

Someone in the alps may end up with a random pair of 'power' pedals :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2022
    Two updates in two weeks, wtf!

I'm a member of a fb group of backers and purchasers, some less bothered than others, but I thought it would be fun.

Looks like due to laws in the Netherlands, backers of any kind there have been able to get their money back, they just have to report it to the police.

By happenchance my brother, who is a seasonal worker but has lived in Italy all year round in the past, is back in the same apartment block where he used to permanently live, but probably only for the winter, and then he'll be off cycle touring.
    I'm going to leave the address as it is I think, and should it ever turn up there, people will hold it for him I'm sure.
    No way am I getting it delivered here so I have to pay import charges, vat and a lovely couriers admin fee, for what will more than likely be a questionable product at best.

Anyway, updates below for your entertainment.

Dear backers,

We have very good news!

FINALLY, we have figured out the last pieces of our puzzle and can start limited production in three weeks . This long-awaited update will share where we are today and how we will fulfil all our commitments. Firstly, thank you for your patience and secondly, our deepest apologies for the lack of communication. We can now share more details about what caused the many delays of the industrialization process.

What has happened

We had to overcome many challenges with the quality and reliability of our original supplier base. This included some legal challenges. All of this has caused an unforeseen and unsurmountable increase in development and production costs.

Our efforts to solve these major setbacks were further impacted by the global corona crises. Needless to state that the company ended up in a financial crisis. All efforts to attract potential investors eventually failed due to an increase in negative media attention.

We will start shipping

But finally, we are happy to share that we have overcome most of these challenges. We finally have secured a very reliable production partner. As a result, we can sell our left only power meter set nearly as cheap as a high end regular bike pedal set: €179.- incl. tax, excl shipping cost ($149.90 excl tax). This will allow many more fellow cyclists around the world to start using power meter pedals. The first limited batch can be shipped beginning 2023.

In order to manage the company’s cash flow challenges carefully, we are required to start selling limited volumes via our web shop and at the same time start ramping up shipment of our outstanding commitments. In our next update we will further explain how we plan to execute this strategy. We are very confident that we will have shipped all committed pledges by the end of August 2023.

Please update your personal details

Please check if all your contact and order details on the platform are still up to date. Updates must also be forwarded to credentials@iqsquare.com. Please note, this is a “no-reply” e-mail and processed automatically. It will not be read by our support team. Thank you for your understanding.

AND:

Dear backers,

Thank you for your feedback

We really appreciated all your patience, especially as we have not been communicating for such a long time. We do feel supported by those backers who posted positive feedback in response to our update last week. Therefore, we will start to share a weekly update.

Update on your questions:

Status dual and MTB power meter sets: we will start production of the dual power meter set beginning 2023. Production start for the MTB power meter set will be around summer 2023.

Distribution of outstanding pledges: as mentioned, the first limited batch of our left only power meter set can be shipped beginning 2023. We are still very confident that we will have shipped all committed pledges by the end of August 2023. We have not decided how to organize the actual distribution process and will share more details in the upcoming weekly updates.

Performance of the power meter pedals: we are putting the latest version of our power meter pedals to the test and comparing its performance with our initial power meter. The performance has even improved slightly.

Progress of the production: the team is actively supporting our supplier(s) with the setup of the production.

Missing personal details: please check if all your contact and order details on the backer platforms are still up to date. Updates must also be forwarded to credentials@iqsquare.com. Please note, this is a “no-reply” e-mail and processed automatically. It will not be read by our support team. Thank you for your understanding.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • thistle_
    It will be interesting to see if they deliver.

I might still buy the SPD version if it ever happens. The SRM X Power seems to have disappeared but Garmin have brought out the Rally pedal in the meantime (for £500 ish)

Is there much difference between a left and right SPD pedal apart from the thread being the other way around and changing something in the software from 'left' to 'right'?