3 Geraint Thomas (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:04
    4 Diego Rosa (Ita) Team Sky 0:00:05
    5 Pierre Latour (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale
    6 Gorka Izagirre (Spa) Bahrain-Merida 0:00:08
    7 Egan Bernal (Col) Team Sky 0:00:10
    8 Jonathan Castroviejo (Spa) Team Sky
    9 Pierre Rolland (Fra) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale
    10 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:00:13

Sky with ' in the top 8, with a couple of surprises (at least to me). Bernal is the real deal by the looks of it, he was even high up in yesterdays 'sprint' stage. Nice to see Rolland in the mix.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Cummings, a late draft in for a depleted DD squad, climbs off. The break still plugging away. The bunch need to chip off 1 minute every 10K to make the catch.
  • inseine
    There seems little interest in assuring the break comes back
  • inseine
    This would be quite a result for Brown if he grabs the yellow jersey.
  • inseine
    Anybody who had Gaviria as a PTP pick, look away.
    De Gendt on his own now. Is there anybody who isn't routing for him?
    Brown could still take yellow but the last climb seems to have done for him.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    De gendt is value
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • inseine
    De gendt is value
    He's a smart b*gger. I guess he last time yesterday on purpose, knowing they'd give him more leeway if he was well down on GC.
  • inseine
    De Gendt is going to take it but no one seems to know if Brown has hung on for the yellow.
  • inseine
    de Gendt
    Colbrelli
    Sam Doulin
    Mick Mathews
    Morkov
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,814
    De Gendt goes on one of his training rides almost unopposed, as the sprinters in the race have no form.
    Total siesta of a stage.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    had to be in pretty good form relativily. none of the break lasted
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Thomas De Gendt's kids:

DbvhjK_WAAEopvT.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,730
    You do wonder if he had the mental aptitude to ride in the bunch properly and eek out the efforts he’s be a great GC rider. Big enough engine.

Plainly he doesn’t, mind.
  • inseine wrote:
    Cummings, a late draft in for a depleted DD squad, climbs off. The break still plugging away. The bunch need to chip off 1 minute every 10K to make the catch.

He's having a stinker of a year so far tbf
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    inseine wrote:

Article on CN with Pippa York gives some insight. Seems DD are in a mess with so many key injuries and the remaining riders race plans are screwed as they get drafted in to fill gaps. Its affected Cummings and he appears to be drifting into a bit of a hole over it :(
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • mididoctors
    You do wonder if he had the mental aptitude to ride in the bunch properly and eek out the efforts he’s be a great GC rider. Big enough engine.

true but...

the sport needs riders like him.. we already have a rake of decent GC riders of differing temperaments
  • rick_chasey

true but...

the sport needs riders like him.. we already have a rake of decent GC riders of differing temperaments

Yeah, fair.

I sort of feel in a funny way it's an unfair contest with TdG in a break.

He's just turning up to the party with the horsepower suited for a bigger race than the stage-win-from-a-break.
  • rick_chasey
    CarbonClem wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Article on CN with Pippa York gives some insight. Seems DD are in a mess with so many key injuries and the remaining riders race plans are screwed as they get drafted in to fill gaps. Its affected Cummings and he appears to be drifting into a bit of a hole over it :(

Cheers for the heads up.

Cummings making the same moan in this month's pro-cycling column.
  • mididoctors
    Yeah, fair.

I sort of feel in a funny way it's an unfair contest with TdG in a break.

He's just turning up to the party with the horsepower suited for a bigger race than the stage-win-from-a-break.

i kinda felt like that when tommy V went for the polka dots instead of gc the year after the cadel win at the tour.

De Gendt?...that day on the giro up the Stevlio was great. I suspect his top end potential on the climbs is not good enough if he rode with the lead group. he has to get out of the bunch and diesel off
  • rick_chasey

that day on the giro up the Stevilo was great. I suspect his top end potential on the climbs is not good enough if he rode with the lead group. he has to get out of the bunch and diesel off

It really was.

You're right, he's a one pace sort of rider. In hindsight, they feel like a rarer breed than they once were; the guy who would slowly strangle you by riding 0.5kph faster than you could really go.

He can obviously take on a lot of work though; being in the break day-in-day-out is pretty full on.

Then again, he then also has days where he's 15 minutes behind. I presume that's a mental thing rather than physical.

I used to get really excited about the Ulrich/Pantani/90's "keep-riding-until-everyone-is-off-your-wheel" rides.

Nowadays it's much more tactical. Probs for the better I guess.

That kind of muscular big thighed riding is a thing of the past, and I guess TdG reminds me of that.

I'm rambling... Have been too efficient this week and am short of work to do today.
  • mididoctors
    Johan Capiot fat thigh.
  • mididoctors
    back in the day when races were longer.

.paris-moscow-paris etc.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196

that day on the giro up the Stevilo was great. I suspect his top end potential on the climbs is not good enough if he rode with the lead group. he has to get out of the bunch and diesel off

It really was.

You're right, he's a one pace sort of rider. In hindsight, they feel like a rarer breed than they once were; the guy who would slowly strangle you by riding 0.5kph faster than you could really go.

He can obviously take on a lot of work though; being in the break day-in-day-out is pretty full on.

Then again, he then also has days where he's 15 minutes behind. I presume that's a mental thing rather than physical.

I used to get really excited about the Ulrich/Pantani/90's "keep-riding-until-everyone-is-off-your-wheel" rides.

That kind of muscular big thighed riding is a thing of the past, and I guess TdG reminds me of that.

I'm rambling... Have been too efficient this week and am short of work to do today.

If he didn't do the "lose 15 minutes" thing, he wouldn't keep getting allowed in the break.
  • mididoctors
    bobmcstuff wrote:

It really was.

If he didn't do the "lose 15 minutes" thing, he wouldn't keep getting allowed in the break.

I secretly want him to finesse it...lose 7-10mins then ride off putting 12mins into the bunch. which is kinda of what got him his giro podium. damm near rode into the jersey at Romandie
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah, fair.
  • blazing_saddles
    De Gendt said at interview before the stage that he wanted both to get into a viable break to contest the stage win.
    He stressed the need for the break to be viable (adequate number of riders) as he also wanted to perform well in today's ITT.
    Talking of which, here it is. Not your typical Romandie fare.

romandia-18-3-b-1.jpg
  • mididoctors
    pretty steep
  • blazing_saddles
    Live timings here:

http://www.tissottiming.com/2018/tdr/de ... ive#anchor

A few finishers so far.
    All well over the 30 minute mark, for less than 10kms, so it must be fairly tough.
    Current leader is Rudy Selig, with a time of 31'-24"
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Michael Storer fastest by some way so far: 27.44
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    RichN95 wrote:
    Michael Storer fastest by some way so far: 27.44

Fast enough to put van Poppel outside the time cut...