Amstel gold race 2018 *SPOILERS*

12346»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864

Midi is right. .

clearly :lol:

goes without saying that my subjective take on the informal slang of cycling banter is objectively totally correct. I have found that my opinions are in fact physical laws that underpin the operational nature of all interactions from the quantum to the political. as such they are worthy of endless threads to reiterate.

glad we got that cleared up.

gapped! ..... bloody Armstrong and the 'merican's to blame for that I think?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734

Midi is right. .

clearly :lol:

goes without saying that my subjective take on the informal slang of cycling banter is objectively totally correct. I have found that my opinions are in fact physical laws that underpin the operational nature of all interactions from the quantum to the political. as such they are worthy of endless threads to reiterate.

glad we got that cleared up.

gapped! ..... bloody Armstrong and the 'merican's to blame for that I think?

Yeah. I think it was that 2003 stage where Ullrich dropped him but Armstrong held the gap to about 3 seconds.

He wanted to make the point that he had it under control and that he didn't nuke. In case his ride hadn't already done Ullrich's head in.
  • rick_chasey
    "Can't follow" is also allowed.

Belgians use "creaking/cracking" too for someone who's about to be dropped or is swinging off the back.

English speakers used "cracked" but never "cracking", which is odd.
  • mididoctors
    "Can't follow" is also allowed.

Belgians use "creaking/cracking" too for someone who's about to be dropped or is swinging off the back.

English speakers used "cracked" but never "cracking", which is odd.

letting the wheels go

craking too much like cracking good I guess. on the limit/rivet...on the rivet has almost disappeared...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Getting a gap is off the front, gapped is off the back. I think like Jam1e wrote gapped is retrievable whereas dropped suggests that it's likely to be game over.

mmmm example: getting dropped on the Tourmalet then getting back on the descent was pretty standard banter back in the day.

what you called getting gapped in the following group is what we called getting "caught behind"

OK "likely to be game over unless there's a 20k descent to get back on."

Gapped is usually just a reasonably small gap - Froome gets gapped on climbs all the time because of the way he rides but you probably wouldn't say he's been dropped.

I would describe that pedalling strategy as "he is riding within himself"

Yes so would I, by riding within himself Froome is frequently gapped by other climbers but rarely are they able to drop him.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Let people use gapped, it's if the start dropping the one 'p' in it that we complete alter what is going on and I hope I'm not watching that day!
  • mididoctors
    double post?
  • rick_chasey
    Interesting comment that Eddy Merckx felt that the motos altered the race in Amstel Gold and had an impact on the final result.

As well as MSR.
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    Interesting comment that Eddy Merckx felt that the motos altered the race in Amstel Gold and had an impact on the final result.

As well as MSR.

Guess that's the case in a lot of races, a potential advantage of sticking your neck out and getting out on your own! You see it quite a lot in belgian races too imo

It's almost just part of the racing now
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Well Amstel deliberately changed the final kms to smaller windier roads to aid attackers and hinder the peloton chasing. That brings motos into play immediately as there's no way for them to keep their distance easily.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format