Bike cleaning

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Keep well away from Washing Up liquids - nearly all contain salt as a built in water softener which is the last thing you want on your bike. s.

brilliant :)
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    i use L'Oreal products only on my bikes

Because I'm worth it

I find it maintains a nice curl on my handlebars.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,958
    I've got a chemistry PhD. Would anyone like me to take this p!ss out of them?

If so please say sometbing slightly wrong about "salt" and "epoxy" below, with as many technical terms in it as you can find on Wikipedia.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569

If so please say sometbing slightly wrong about "salt" and "epoxy" below, with as many technical terms in it as
    you can find on Wikipedia.

Would LoSalt be safer?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    mrfpb wrote:

If so please say sometbing slightly wrong about "salt" and "epoxy" below, with as many technical terms in it as
    you can find on Wikipedia.

Would LoSalt be safer?

If you are drinking it, I don't think it would matter much.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Iv'e being mostly using Palm olive liquid soap a sponge, a old pan scourer, a old tooth brush & an old t-shirt.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Moonbiker wrote:
    Iv'e being mostly using Palm olive liquid soap a sponge, a old pan scourer, a old tooth brush & an old t-shirt.

See that's where you're going wrong, you need to use a new scourer, a new toothbrush and a new t-shirt. Otherwise your bike will melt, and all your components will corrode.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I detailed the car yesterday ...

ok - I swept out the boot and used a wetwipe to clean the back of the dirty seats from little feet wiping mud down them ...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,765
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Tashman wrote:
    When does car washing become detailing?
    When you spend more money than necessary, and more time than necessary.
    A form of justification. It's a car that is driven through all sorts on the road ffs.
    A concourse car on the other hand...
    Concours car owners are the bane of my life.
    I thought detailing a car involved removing a rear spoiler.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120

If so please say sometbing slightly wrong about "salt" and "epoxy" below, with as many technical terms in it as you can find on Wikipedia.
    I’d rather not have the piss taken, but I wouldn’t mind hearing your take on the suitability of washing up liquid as a bike wash and the effect on aluminium/ stainless/ titanium bits and bobs... :D

PP
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've used washing up liquid for years as a do-it-all detergent to wash cars, bikes, greenhouses, children, pets, windows, footwear, fabrics, toys, and occasionally crockery / cutlery / pots and pans. It's cheap and it's never harmed anything. More importantly, it's always just sitting there next to the sink. I've even used it as a plasticiser when mixing mortar, at the suggestion of the brickie working on next door's extension...

I've also dabbled with car shampoos, usually the ones with wax because I can't be @rsed to do that separately, and occasionally used the same on the bikes. I just make sure I clean the braking surfaces afterwards.

If you've got a shedload of that, use it on your bike(s)
  • ballysmate
    Pilot Pete wrote:

I’d rather not have the wee-wee taken, but I wouldn’t mind hearing your take on the suitability of washing up liquid as a bike wash and the effect on aluminium/ stainless/ titanium bits and bobs... :D

PP

What like aluminium saucepans and stainless steel sinks?
    Washing up liquid has been known to melt these don't you know. :wink:
  • ballysmate

Perhaps an O Level in common sense is needed in this instance?
  • Matthewfalle
    I understand that washing up liquid is like napalm, but worse.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ballysmate

Apparently France, UK and the US are going to launch air strikes on Proctor and Gamble's storage facilities.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    So the stuff that says “ hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face” will rot your bike no matter what the bikes made of.
    You learn something everyday.
  • ballysmate
    Webboo wrote:
    So the stuff that says “ hands that do dishes can be as soft as your face” will rot your bike no matter what the bikes made of.
    You learn something everyday.

Unless your bike is made from recycled washing up bottles.
    Perhaps Val Singleton could knock one up?
  • Matthewfalle
    Ballysmate wrote:

Apparently France, UK and the US are going to launch air strikes on Proctor and Gamble's storage facilities.

We'll only go near it when wearing full CBRN kit. I once saw some bloke wash a Chally with it and it melted almost immediately.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,779
    Tashman wrote:

Its the same sort of tipping point as when riding a bike becomes cycling :D
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • slowbike
    CarbonClem wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

Its the same sort of tipping point as when riding a bike becomes cycling :D

Ah - so when you spend "too much time and money" doing it ...

carp - so I don't "detail" the car - and it would appear I'm not a cyclist either ... not bothered about the first - but I'll work on rectifying the second ... downside is that I'll have to clean my bike(s) more often - what should I use? I've got some bubble bath ... and what do you put on the bathroom floor - to prevent scuffing the tyres on the tiles ... :lol:
  • JoshH79
    JoshH79 Posts: 24
    Most washing up liquid is full of rubbish. I've no idea whether it'll damage a bike, but I'd steer clear regardless.

I'd find a better alternative for bike, pots and anything else you might've cleaned with it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    JoshH79 wrote:
    Most washing up liquid is full of rubbish.

Funny, it doesn't say anything about 'rubbish' on the ingredients list. They must have missed it off...
  • Matthewfalle
    JoshH79 wrote:
    Most washing up liquid is full of rubbish. I've no idea whether it'll damage a bike, but I'd steer clear regardless.

I'd find a better alternative for bike, pots and anything else you might've cleaned with it.

What would you recommend for pot cleaning?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • JoshH79
    Imposter wrote:
    JoshH79 wrote:
    Most washing up liquid is full of rubbish.

Funny, it doesn't say anything about 'rubbish' on the ingredients list. They must have missed it off...

Is there an emoji for tumbleweeds?
  • JoshH79
    JoshH79 wrote:

Just a less chemical-filled alternative. Worth a quick look at the ingredients list on a bottle of Fairy, for example. The lack of ingredients is quite interesting. And those that are listed aren't great if you look into them a bit.
  • imposter2.0
    JoshH79 wrote:
    JoshH79 wrote:

Just a less chemical-filled alternative. Worth a quick look at the ingredients list on a bottle of Fairy, for example. The lack of ingredients is quite interesting. And those that are listed aren't great if you look into them a bit.

mate - it's for cleaning bikes (and pots and pans) - like most detergents, you're not supposed to be drinking it..
  • JoshH79
    Imposter wrote:
    JoshH79 wrote:
    JoshH79 wrote:

mate - it's for cleaning bikes (and pots and pans) - like most detergents, you're not supposed to be drinking it..

It's well worth doing your own research if you're inclined to. Maybe doesn't sound like it, but it'd be time well spent.

Happy to help if you wanted - just PM me maybe as this is probably a bit of a distraction on a bike cleaning thread!

Take care.
  • imposter2.0
    Presumably you've done your own research. So wHy not just share your info on this thread, so we can all see it?
  • Matthewfalle
    JoshH79 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    JoshH79 wrote:
    JoshH79 wrote:

It's well worth doing your own research if you're inclined to. Maybe doesn't sound like it, but it'd be time well spent.

Happy to help if you wanted - just PM me maybe as this is probably a bit of a distraction on a bike cleaning thread!

Take care.

any suggestions?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • slowbike
    Sir Sir Sir ...

I cleaned my bike last night ... not with a bike specific cleaner, but with Mr Sheen .... well - not all the bike, just the stays & forks - bit dirty despite the mudguards, they've come off now - gave the wheel rims a bit of a buff too - a bit of wax on them this evening ... ?