Bike cleaning

NoGearNoIdea
NoGearNoIdea Posts: 3
edited April 2018 in Road beginners
Hi, I’m fairly new to this so forgive my simplicity. I have litres of car shampoo that I’m never going to use thanks to the numerous hand car wash places. Can I use this to safely clean my disc brake bike? And does anyone know of a thru axle compatible chain keeper?

Thanks

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yes to the car shampoo. It's car shempoo and it's a bicycle.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • 3wheeler
    3wheeler Posts: 110
    The only problem you might have with car shampoo is that they are very gentle because they're designed not to remove the wax you might have applied to your car's paintwork. Certainly won't cause any harm to your bike but if it doesn't shift the oily/greasy dirt then maybe get a bike or motorbike specific one.

Also get some degreaser to clean the drivetrain.
  • 3wheeler wrote:
    The only problem you might have with car shampoo is that they are very gentle because they're designed not to remove the wax you might have applied to your car's paintwork. Certainly won't cause any harm to your bike but if it doesn't shift the oily/greasy dirt then maybe get a bike or motorbike specific one.

Thanks. Any recommendations for a thru axle chain keeper?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,732
    NO! Well Yes and NO!

Car shampoo is fine for the frame but it plays havoc with the brakes and rims/discs as most shampoos (good ones) contain paint conditioners and waxes. I know if I use them on my road bike the rim brakes squeal and shriek like a murdered pig. Same goes for my mountain bike with hydro disks.

I just use Fairly Liquid (other brands available too), hose off and dry with a micro fiber cloth and add a spray of Meguiars Quick Detail spray for a glossy shine.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I use car shampoo on mine, but it doesn't contain any wax or additives.
    I'd much rather use a car shampoo (that is routinely used on carbon bodied cars etc) than a washing up liquid which isn't.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Dannbodge wrote:
    I'd much rather use a car shampoo (that is routinely used on carbon bodied cars etc) than a washing up liquid which isn't.

You seriously suggesting that Fairy liquid will have an effect on a carbon frame?
  • dannbodge
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

You seriously suggesting that Fairy liquid will have an effect on a carbon frame?

Nope. I'd rather just not take the chance.
    I'm not a chemical engineer so I wouldn't want to say either way.

I wouldn't wash anything painted with fairy liquid, so why would I want to wash my bike with it

that's just my choice
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Dannbodge wrote:

I wouldn't wash anything painted with fairy liquid, so why would I want to wash my bike with it

that's just my choice

Not an 'informed' choice though, is it?

You don't need to be a 'chemical engineer' to understand that there's absolutely no issues with using washing up liquid whatsoever. It's basically just a more concentrated form of all the diluted 'bike wash' products that are on sale at vastly inflated prices anyway...
  • dannbodge
    Imposter wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

that's just my choice

Not an 'informed' choice though, is it?

You don't need to be a 'chemical engineer' to understand that there's absolutely no issues with using washing up liquid whatsoever. It's basically just a more concentrated form of all the diluted 'bike wash' products that are on sale at vastly inflated prices anyway...

Why is it not?
    Car detailing has been a hobby of mine for the last 10 years and the general consensus in that field is that fairy liquid is not suitable for cleaning painted surfaces.

How do you know that though?
    Do you understand exactly how those chemicals in fairy liquid react with the materials in carbon fibre?

At the end of the day, wash it with whatever you want.
    I will continue to not use fairy liquid and will stick to my car shampoo.

Fairy liquid contains quite harsh chemicals and also has a lot of salt in it. Again I wouldn't wash anything painted with it, so it sure as hell isn't going near my bike.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    As the OP has a glut of car shampoo then he needs to be given a strong reason NOT to use it. It sounds like it's ideal for the frame but not for the components. So a specific drivetrain degreaser is needed in addition to the shampoo.

Personally I use washing up liquid for the non-drivetrain then degreaser on the drivetrain. I use Finish Line polish on the frame for a water repellent shine. Steel frame in case anyone cares. My LBS have a finishing polish for carbon frames if I ever went down that route.
  • imposter2.0
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Why is it not?
    Car detailing has been a hobby of mine for the last 10 years and the general consensus in that field is that fairy liquid is not suitable for cleaning painted surfaces.

'General consensus' doesn't make it correct, unfortunately - mostly it just perpetuates urban myths, a bit like this one. Fairy Liquid (let's use that as the generic term for any washing up liquid) is basically just a detergent, which is why it is good for washing dishes. Any bike/car/truck/caravan wash is also just basically a detergent. Salt is one of the active ingredients in all of these detergents, and while it may promote corrosion on a bare metal surface, I don't think there is any evidence of it having an adverse impact on carbon fibre, painted or otherwise. if that was the case, bike manufacturers would advise against the use of carbon bikes in winter, when there is road salt/grit on the roads.

Found this quote for reference...
    “Washing up liquid does contain a ‘salt’ but this is the active ingredient and should not be confused with road salt. There is nothing in a washing-up liquid that will exacerbate corrosion – there’s no sodium chloride salt to worry about. The issue regarding corrosion is the ‘chloride’ bit of the salt. In ‘chloride nests’ at the base of a corrosion pit, the chloride exists as hydrogen chloride, which in damp conditions creates a solution of dilute hydrochloric acid, and it’s this acid that does the damage. You need to avoid ‘chloride’ from any and all sources, e.g. seawater, road grit and fish & chips (but not washing up liquid). When I wash my aluminium bodied Lea Francis, a dash of Fairy is just fine…”
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Dannbodge wrote:

Well - fairy makes your hands soft .... perhaps it has the same effect? ;)
  • photonic69
    If Fairy Liquid is safe enough to use on bare skin at a dilution of 1:500 (small squirt in a sink of water) then it sure as hell is safe to use on bikes!

I too am anal about cleaning and detailing cars. I wouldn't use washing-up liquid on my car as I don't want to wash the protective waxes off the paintwork. Car shampoo as I've said has waxes and conditioners. From the Meguiars website:

"Q: Should I re-wax after every wash?

A:
    Not if you use a good quality car wash shampoo. All Meguiar’s shampoos will safely remove traffic film and contaminants without damaging the protective wax coating. Harsher detergents will strip polish and wax from the paint and significantly reduce the life of the wax protection."

When detailing my car, after a wash with shampoo I use Fairy Liquid on the windscreen to remove the waxy deposits from the shampoo. These are the deposits that affect my brakes - rim and disc so I don't use car shampoo for this very reason.

FFS it's a bike. The washing up liquid is dilute and on there for minutes only.

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I wash my car once a year - whether it needs it or not ....
  • Matthewfalle
    This thread is brilliant.

Any other posters?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mrfpb

Any other posters?

Why not? It looks like the OP got the answer to one of his questions with your first reply. I think that leaves the thread clear for a free for all bun fight.

I think the OP should consider waxing his chain. I heard someone saying how brilliant it was.

What popcorn goes with Moet?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,492
    When does car washing become detailing?
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I use Clinique 3 stage skin care on my bike, anything wrong with that?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mrfpb
    drlodge wrote:

So long as it's unperfumed. A feminine fragrance might be ok if your bike has a girls name.

(anyone remember that thread?)
  • photonic69
    Oooh!! I do love a well waxed thing of beauty :wink: fnar fnar.....

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157
    Tashman wrote:
    When does car washing become detailing?
    When you spend more money than necessary, and more time than necessary.
    A form of justification. It's a car that is driven through all sorts on the road ffs.
    A concourse car on the other hand...
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JoshH79
    JoshH79 Posts: 24
    Don’t use Fairy for bike or pots! Get an environmentally friendly alternative. Better for you. Better generally.
  • Matthewfalle
    mrfpb wrote:

Any other posters?

Why not? It looks like the OP got the answer to one of his questions with your first reply. I think that leaves the thread clear for a free for all bun fight.

I think the OP should consider waxing his chain. I heard someone saying how brilliant it was.

What popcorn goes with Moet?

:)

i exfoliated bike N1 this morning - that apricot stuff from Edwyn's. It looks all glossy now.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • photonic69
    Alternatively I prefer "Wild Green Fiendy Liquid" :twisted:

https://youtu.be/uRCdPKwCNFU

• webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    drlodge wrote:
    Have you ever tried their Exfoliant visage for bike cleaning as I have just found a box full of samples of this( daughter used to work for them)
    Also do you reckon their Fluid hydratant or their Hydratant anti-age would be any use for lubing your chain.
    I may never buy any bike maintenance products again.
  • Keep well away from Washing Up liquids - nearly all contain salt as a built in water softener which is the last thing you want on your bike.

Good quality car shampoo should be ok but stay away from those with added wax. I use Autoglym car shampoo that has been fine over the years.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    3wheeler wrote:

Thanks. Any recommendations for a thru axle chain keeper?

Get an old bolt with suitable tread pitch (or any old spare TA) and drape the chain over it...
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Keep well away from Washing Up liquids - nearly all contain salt as a built in water softener which is the last thing you want on your bike.

Good quality car shampoo should be ok but stay away from those with added wax. I use Autoglym car shampoo that has been fine over the years.

I find it hard to believe that things like salt or other additives are really going to make any difference when (a) they're massively diluted and (b) its painted metal and carbon its being applied to which are good at resisting road grime so a bit of salt or wax should be no issue.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • imposter2.0
    Keep well away from Washing Up liquids - nearly all contain salt as a built in water softener which is the last thing you want on your bike.

Did you not read the thread before posting?
  • Matthewfalle
    i use L'Oreal products only on my bikes

Because I'm worth it

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.