Campagnolo 12 speed...

Comments

• cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    Didn’t we do this in 09 with 11sp?

Love campagnolo but at £300 for a cassette I’ll wait to see if they release Chorus for MY20.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    That plastic rear derailleur certainly isn’t a looker...

And that comes from someone who really is their target market. I lusted after Super Record as a 14yo lad in the early 80s and even draughted the chainset in my technical drawing class.

Having gone Campagnolo when I got back into cycling ten years ago I loved the look of the groups then, especially the chainsets but unreliability, lack of stockists and repairers and constant shifting issues made me go Shimano a few years back. Add on the massive price difference for the top end groups and I am afraid I am not drawn to going back anytime soon. I’ll stick with Dura Ace di2.

PP
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    They won't though. I think the rd geometry precludes anything smaller. This groupsets is only available with 53/39 or 52/36. I use the former only do the cassette choice suits me fine. This is a groupsets for racers and is focused on them.

They gave centaur and potenza for everyone else
    There's a 50/34 option too. And somehow I don't think that these new groups are mainly aimed at racers, not at those prices.. ;-)

A 12sp cassette going up to 29 would be great for the Alps on a 52/36 or 50/34, and a good all-rounder on a 53/39, but for all except the 50/34 chainset I'd want to start at 12, not 11.

Moving from my current most common setup (52/36, 12-27), which does me for *almost* anywhere, the tightest sprocket option in the new 12 speed (11-29) would actually involve me losing a gear inside my useful range while adding gears at either end I'd hardly ever use. Mad! So in effect I'd be going from 11sp to 10sp while adding weight and fragility..

There are times I might want lower gears of course, but I'd much rather fit a different cassette for those rare trips than cycle around with unnecessary and annoying gaps between my gears 95% of the time. Or even better, swap chainrings on a chainset system that's designed to take any sizes like the current Shimano (maybe that's true for the new Campag. 12sp too?).

But if they come out with a 12-29 then at least I'd be able to keep the same spacing, while adding a low gear that I would use in some situations.. Actually, that could be pretty good. But having to gain a gap in exchange for an 11 sprocket I don't need is a dealbreaker for me.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Campagnolo fan and a major update is always pretty exciting. They've done really well to add an extra sprocket while keeping the same spacing (just a pity it's a useless one for me!).

Sprocket options aside, the elephant in the room is the price however. Looking at the weights (which, let's face it, is all you are paying for in the top 2 or 3 tiers of all of the manufacturers' groups), the new 12sp Record is effectively a Chorus replacement and new SR is a Record/SR merger (there's much more of a weight difference between the new SR and Record than between the old SR and Record, more akin to the difference between old Record/SR and Chorus). But 12sp rim brake Record (read Chorus, i.e. Ultegra equivalent) is going to be priced at £1750, which means that 12sp rim brake SR (haven't seen a price quoted yet) must be at least £2300-£2500.. These prices are between two and three times the current going rate for Ultegra and Dura Ace! I guess they will come down bit after release, but probably not to less than twice the cost of their Shimano equivalents.

Bottom line - I might buy it eventually if they release a 12-29 cassette and half the price..
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,830
    neeb wrote:
    ...Or even better, swap chainrings on a chainset system that's designed to take any sizes like the current Shimano (maybe that's true for the new Campag. 12sp too?...

Bottom line - I might buy it eventually if they release a 12-29 cassette and half the price..
    Potenza does the chain rings, and Miche do the half price. (In 11 speed currently).
    But I hate the chunky 4 spoke design. :evil:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    I don’t think there binning Chorus. They did the same with EPS by releasing it a year later.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I reckon the manufacturing cost of an 8 speed group is identical to a 12 speed one so claris & super record same price to make but different markup.

Each company could just make one universal groupset if they didn't need to create artificial price points for different market segments.

Will 13 ever happen?
  • pblakeney
    Moonbiker wrote:
    I reckon the manufacturing cost of an 8 speed group is identical to a 12 speed one so claris & super record same price to make but different markup.
    You reckon wrong.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • main-qimg-254f3dc7ac34dc697f7bb8f764bfa180
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    You reckon wrong.

Plz explain

Are they not all mass producted by robots/humans on semi automatic production lines with mostly low paid labour?

plus R & D cost

Or is Super Record is hand crafted by skilled italian artisans.

some infos on SRAM red

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGTUCeHLxfI

Does say Electronic is lot harder to make than mechanical & I suppose carbon parts cost more.

I Remeber PX were selling some italian carbon cranks for £49 yrs ago though. Regret noy buying them.
  • pblakeney
    Moonbiker wrote:
    You reckon wrong.

Plz explain....
    A multitude of reasons starting with materials and functionality but in the simplest of explanations tooling and costs for machining 12 sprockets instead of 8. And that R&D does not come cheaply.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Moonbiker wrote:

I Remeber PX were selling some italian carbon cranks for £49 yrs ago though. Regret noy buying them.

I bought the very last one, because i couldn't find a Campagnolo one in 175 mm for a decent price.
    They were made by Gigantex in Taiwan though....still happy with this crankset on my China-made titanium bike.

PS , this bike is equipped with 2x or 3x 9 speed in the high mountains, maybe it will ever be 2x or 3x 10 speed, maybe not.
    Nobody tells me how many cogs I need.
  • I'll have to have a go. But it is a whacking premium to put on your groupset.

The selling point for me is the manual Ultra Shift and always has been. I hit the button it is one, two or three gears instantly. Same with the lever only it's 5 gears. Add in the fact you can drop the front mech at the same time and that means virtually any gear ratio change is available at less than half a second if your hand can move fast enough to do it. It's class leading and always has been in terms of flexibility and speed of change. But it comes at a premium price point.

No other groupset comes close. Go to electric though, zero difference. Check out the SR Disc EPS price. I think I'll take the family on a 5* holiday instead.
  • pilot_pete
    No other groupset comes close. Go to electric though, zero difference. Check out the SR Disc EPS price. I think I'll take the family on a 5* holiday instead.
    well, you could go Di2 and get instant shifting up and down as many gears as you want to go. You can set the shifting speed that you prefer. You can get the whole Ultegra 6870 Group for £899.99 from Merlin and go on a 4* holiday instead... :wink:

PP
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Merlin?! Didn't I read a thread recently about their customer service? What was it now....

:D
  • pilot_pete
    Me-109 wrote:
    Merlin?! Didn't I read a thread recently about their customer service? What was it now....

:D

You’d have to take a gamble, obviously! :wink:

“D’ya feel lucky, punk?” :lol:

PP
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    The selling point for me is the manual Ultra Shift and always has been.

Same here, and the feel of the hoods. I've got EPS on the Massive Attack but you don't get the same functionality which is a bit of a pain. Mechanical Chorus is, at the moment, my go to group set.

May be the Rourke SR group set will wear out at some point, by then the 12 speed should be available in Chorus or whatever at an affordable price and I can move to that.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    drlodge wrote:
    [

May be the Rourke SR group set will wear out at some point, .

Not at this rate... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    drlodge wrote:
    [

May be the Rourke SR group set will wear out at some point, .

Not at this rate... :wink:

:shock: :lol::lol: Yeh the Campag dust seals are quite effective!!!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    edited April 2018
    The funny thing about trying out 1x10 gearing, which I've done on my commuter, is it has made me aware how rarely I actually single-shift on most of my bikes.

When you're running an 11-36 cassette, you feel the difference with every shift - I keep on instinctively changing two gears up or down and overdoing it.

Still, I'm sure I'll miss the fine tuning if I ever take it on a club run/chaingang.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    JakeJ wrote:
    The older Record & Super record looked so much better, the new one looks like a 3d printed version of the old ultegra.

What were they thinking.

Perfectly summed up
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    I’m really sensitive to gearing when doing hard threshold efforts in particular such as 2x20. Even with one tooth gaps I sometimes find I can’t find exactly the right gear.. It can make a difference to the maximum power I can sustain over 10 or 20 mins,
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    How did the cyclists of yore manage on 8/9/10 speed? Anyway its a gear change system - incredibly expensive imo for 1 extra cog. Does the £100+ chain tool work with 12 speed or is that an extra? I note Shimano has never introduced carbon chainsets altho' they had prototypes out for about a year. I'm sure someone out there will be itching to get rid of their 11 speed SR or Record to get the 'extra benefit' but we've yet to see what FSA are going to come out with.
  • pblakeney
    amrushton wrote:
    How did the cyclists of yore manage on 8/9/10 speed?
    Well, I remember when a 10 speed was 2x5.
    Today? Luxury! :lol:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    amrushton wrote:
    but we've yet to see what FSA are going to come out with.

Let's hope for something better than the half baked WE groupset FSA released because it's neither wireless or wired and looks like a dog's dinner.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    neeb wrote:
    I’m really sensitive to gearing when doing hard threshold efforts in particular such as 2x20. Even with one tooth gaps I sometimes find I can’t find exactly the right gear.. It can make a difference to the maximum power I can sustain over 10 or 20 mins,

this. i find exactly the same issue.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I think the new Campag 12-speed sounds appealing. I'd spec it if I was buying a new bike. It's not just the extra cog. There are several other improvements to the whole groupset.

As someone who started off with five-speed freewheels, moving to six, seven, nine and 11, I've really appreciated the benefit of close ratios over the years.

As well as being nice on a fast road bike, close ratios are brilliant for cycle touring. When I've been cycling for several hours up a high mountain pass in the Alps or Pyrenees, with camping gear in front and rear panniers, it's really beneficial to make small incremental changes in your ratios. On my touring bike, I have three close ratio climbing gears in the 20 inches range and three in the 30s. I achieve this with a triple chainset and a 13-28 nine-speed cassette. The beauty of a 12-speed 11-32 cassette for tourists is you could achieve the same sort of range and close ratios as my tourer with a double super compact chainset such as 44/28.
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    :D Would love to go straight to SR 12spd but with a 11-25 block. However most of my ahem "training" could easily be done with 8spd and downtube shifters, I wish Campag would offer that as a new group!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    PBlakeney wrote:
    amrushton wrote:
    How did the cyclists of yore manage on 8/9/10 speed?
    Well, I remember when a 10 speed was 2x5.
    Today? Luxury! :lol:

Me too. I went from a sit up and beg 3 speed Sturmey Archer to 5 and thought it was amazing. Then to a proper racing bike with derailleur and a 5 speed block, and when I moved on to one with a double chainring it was the absolute b0llocks.

The prospect of 24 gears / STIs / electronic shifting / disc brakes / GPS computers & navigation, HRMs, power meters / goretex / lycra / LED lighting etc was the stuff of science fiction...
  • 10 speed wasn't even really 10 gears. I ran a 48/32 chainset with 14-24 cassette which gave me 9 distinct ratios and a lot of cross-chaining, but as far as I remember the standard set-up was 52/39 with the same cassette which only gave 7 distinct ratios. As I lived in Manchester and we spent quite a lot of our time in the Peak District most of my friends swapped their cassette for 14-28 which gave them 8 distinct ratios.

All the same looking back I can't see how I put up with those gaps in ratios. I'm running 9-speed Campag which gives me 14 distinct ratios and I'm very conscious if I accidentally skip two sprockets.

I get Ugo's point about fragility, I don't have a bottomless pocket and the potential reduction in lifespan of components if I upgrade to 10 speed, never mind 11 or 12 speed is one reason for staying with 9 speed. I suppose if you can afford the price of the new groupset you aren't going to quibble about replacing chains and cassettes regularly, but I like to see a minimum of couple of years before considering replacement, and that is riding over 8000 kms a year split fairly evenly across two bikes.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    I went up a 7-10% climb in the cotswolds on a single speed 42 x 16 today... it wasn't too bad
    Just saying...
    left the forum March 2023